talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Guessing this is a man who's just lost his mother, burdened by stress and ceremony which he has (currently) no option but to continue with. 

Someone who's been unable to grieve properly for that loss. 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Guessing this is a man who's just lost his mother, burdened by stress and ceremony which he has (currently) no option but to continue with. 

I am not a Royalist but that is spot on, the guy has just lost his mother and has now become King, I would rather see someone act like that than put a false smile on his face for the cameras with 'Yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full, sir...', when you get arseholes like Boris who attended a party while in the Covad restrictions and thought nothing off of it in front of the cameras.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, 6666 said:

I still don't get it. These idiots in the comments are insane.

Absolutely radicalised. 

On 14/09/2022 at 08:41, Stan said:

Agree with this. It's typical that because the Queen was "so good" we're now going to have to find any fault in her successor to make him look like a massive disappointment by comparison and will never be as good as she was. Granted, the first video that came out moving the pen/ink thing on the desk wasn't a good look at all and the story about them laying off 100 staff from Clarence House seems pretty classless on face value, but there has to be some allowance for the fact that a guy is in a period of grief over the loss of a parent. 

On 13/09/2022 at 10:01, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I hear Prince Andrew is being left in charge of the corgis, because he's an experienced groomer. When asked about his new position he said it would be no sweat. 

Charles actually met Diana when he was 30 she was 16.

The only difference between him and Andrew is that Charles did his business in Europe and Andrew in the USA.

I don't see it as a result of grieving. I see him getting easily wound up by the little things that he finds irksome... He has spent his whole life in a very privileged environment wanting for nothing and having things handed to him on a plate and now he is out of his normal controlled comfort zone. He is born of old school monarchy 73 years in the making and for that entire time he has had people waiting on him hand and foot. He has had nothing but the best of everything and he has been able to tailor that to his needs without question because of who he is and now he has been thrust into the public eye in this fashion the mask is going to slip from time to time.. 

Prince Phillip apparently described Charles as 'precious, extravagant' and lacking in the dedication to make a good King.. and he once told a friend that the longer they lived the less chance he had of damaging the Monarchy... I wonder how long it will be before Charles shouts "off with his head" at someone who brings him his morning tea at the wrong temperature??

To be fair, given how Prince Phillip was in public you would hardly call him the ideal role model could you... 

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't see it as a result of grieving. I see him getting easily wound up by the little things that he finds irksome... He has spent his whole life in a very privileged environment wanting for nothing and having things handed to him on a plate and now he is out of his normal controlled comfort zone. He is born of old school monarchy 73 years in the making and for that entire time he has had people waiting on him hand and foot. He has had nothing but the best of everything and he has been able to tailor that to his needs without question because of who he is and now he has been thrust into the public eye in this fashion the mask is going to slip from time to time.. 

Prince Phillip apparently described Charles as 'precious, extravagant' and lacking in the dedication to make a good King.. and he once told a friend that the longer they lived the less chance he had of damaging the Monarchy... I wonder how long it will be before Charles shouts "off with his head" at someone who brings him his morning tea at the wrong temperature??

To be fair, given how Prince Phillip was in public you would hardly call him the ideal role model could you... 

The caveat of that is that grief affects people in several different ways :what:

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

The caveat of that is that grief affects people in several different ways :what:

Everyone grieves in their own way... For some there is no grief, only relief

I do have to say that I find it odd that the family are not seemingly being given much time to grieve in private but I suppose it's part and parcel of being in royalty, everything has to be so public for the whole duration and Charles is expected to sign off on various things in a very short space of time... 

No pens in Wales?

I think he must be aware of the various rumours & suggestions it would be best for the monarchy if he let it pass straight to William. Added to losing his mum.. it does make sense he'd be a little bit on edge.

If we are into an era where Royals will mostly live to near 100, perhaps a retirement age may be good? Would save the taking over during build up to a funeral.

But then William now may be ideally wanting his kids to be young adults at least before he's taking over.

I will watch at least some of the funeral tomorrow. Not because I'm a monarchist but because I did like the queen as a person.

When  it comes to the monarchy I hate the concept of someone being born into that kind of power and privilege. However I think the debate of whether the country is better of or not with a monarch is complicated and there are academics who study it who know a lot more about it than me. I think the queen did do alot of good with the power she had. However putting in every channel is to much I think. I mean she was 96. That little girl who got killed in liverpool was worse. I get that iit gets alot of coverage because a lot of people want to know about it but one persons life isnt worth more than another's just because of the family she was born into.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Celtic fans chanting if you hate the royal family clap your hands, and the players did. If the monarchy has become more polarising than politics itself, which it was supposed to act as buffer to, than it has lost its reason d'etre.

The monarchy hasn't, though. Majority of the population have taken into the mourning and appreciate what the Queen did for the UK, and understand UK has lost a constant in their life/statehood. Even several who aren't royalists or monarchist can appreciate a big global figure has been lost. 

You've taken the fans of one anti-royalist club and equated that to the monarchy being more polarising than politics.

Politics has never been more polarised.

• Subscriber

After tomorrow we should hopefully hear next to nothing about the monarchy day to day like before. People have their opinions on the monarchy and I'm sure there will be a slight boost to republican sentiment with Charles as the new King but ultimately, people have so many other priorities and things to fight about that the debate will be consigned to the back burner again.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

After tomorrow we should hopefully hear next to nothing about the monarchy day to day like before. People have their opinions on the monarchy and I'm sure there will be a slight boost to republican sentiment with Charles as the new King but ultimately, people have so many other priorities and things to fight about that the debate will be consigned to the back burner again.

To be honest I'm not sure if there is much of a debate going on. Britian overwhelmingly supports having a monarchy. I'd be surprised if any of us see a republic Britain. 

For me personally if you had asked me a couple of years ago to vote to keep or abolish the monarchy I would have said abolish. And of there was a vote and it appeared as if britian would be slightly worse of but people who already have enough money will have a bit less but still have enough I would still vote abolish. However the country being slightly worse of can affect people on low incomes a lot(in the same way that brexit has)  So I would give it alot of thought 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Celtic fans chanting if you hate the royal family clap your hands, and the players did. If the monarchy has become more polarising than politics itself, which it was supposed to act as buffer to, than it has lost its reason d'etre.

I didn't watch the whole game so can't comment fully - but is this what you're referring to?

It changed into a minute's applause instead of minute's silence, probably to make Celtic fans' resistance to the silence less effective. 

So the players were clapping for the minute's applause, as opposed to in an impromptu way to show disdain (if any). As you can see, it was a planned minute's applause...

Archived