talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Stan To be honest scotland is known  not to support the monarchy I think so it wouldn't prove anything even if they were clapping against it 

Rangers are fully in support of the Queen so it evens out with what Celtic and their fans stand for.

48 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Stan I was wondering why it is you support the monarchy? In general you appear to be a left leaning person who likes equality and that. Isn't  the monarchy the opposite of that? Or is it perhaps that you feel it benefits the country?

I neither support or am against it. I just see the value that the Queen offered as a person to represent the UK and don't get the uproar about the mourning for someone of such a big stature. It's just out of respect really. I see the benefit of the monarchy in terms of money and tourism it brings into the UK. 

I don't massively support the monarchy, nor would I be fussed if it was abolished. It's something I have absolutely no control over so I don't see the point in getting so worked up either way :) 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Rangers are fully in support of the Queen so it evens out with what Celtic and their fans stand for.

I neither support or am against it. I just see the value that the Queen offered as a person to represent the UK and don't get the uproar about the mourning for someone of such a big stature. It's just out of respect really. I see the benefit of the monarchy in terms of money and tourism it brings into the UK. 

I don't massively support the monarchy, nor would I be fussed if it was abolished. It's something I have absolutely no control over so I don't see the point in getting so worked up either way :) 

What I meant was that I think polls of scotland have shown that scotland doesn't support the monarchy. So what an individual club does doesn't prove anything. 

I think what annoys people a little bit is that it is one person who has died. I 100% agree with being respectful. I mean someone has died. But I think what some people dont like is the amount of coverage it is getting and that everything has been shut. That's not because of the inconvenience of it, its because in a way it feels a bit disrespectful to other people who have died recently. 

Also a reason why a lot of people dont like it is because she was born into it. You dont earn the right to become a king or queen it is given to you. Which when you care about equality can seem wrong to some.

I do think the monarchy is something that people will one day look back on as a bit odd 

Celtic and Rangers are known as Scotland's shame. Both their responses are rooted in sectarianism. There's a severe inherited hate problem in Belfast's youth and Glasgow keeps its own import of it going via football. 

I remember going to a pre-season friendly at Ibrox and the Rangers fans tried to get us to join in with their singing of God Save the Queen. No one was having any of it. 

I've also been to Murrayfield for Scotland v England rugby where, excluding did nothings, half the Scots in the ground sang God Save the Queen and the other half booed. 

An independent Scotland would likely go through a modern version of a civil war. It would need to reckon with itself. Someone will have to win and define a national narrative, most likely it would be republicans.

13 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

One thing that did annoy me was when cycle Britain asked people not to cycle during the queens funeral. Now they did retract the statement but who are they to tell people what to do in their spare time. If people don't want to watch it that is up to them 

What we've seen is a whole host of organisation leaders across the country make decisions without sounding them out.

It's not all a bad thing, it is a sign that leaders think of themselves as enacting a civic duty and responsibility. Even if misguided that's not a bad trait.

• Administrator

In all seriousness, have watched the funeral today starting with the marches of the army personnel from Wellington barracks. Its been quite a spectacle. A sombre one for sure, but so much to appreciate in terms of the preparation and ceremony of it all. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

In all seriousness, have watched the funeral today starting with the marches of the army personnel from Wellington barracks. Its been quite a spectacle. A sombre one for sure, but so much to appreciate in terms of the preparation and ceremony of it all. 

Didn't get to see much of it due to work but what I did see was, as you say was some spectacle... You can say what you like about the Royals but I think she was well loved by a lot of the public.. Would you ever see such a thing anywhere else in the world?? 

The state hearse was accompanied by her Majesty's Guards

The State hearse was strewn with flowers as well wishers paid their respects to the Queen

The coffin had made its way from Westminster Abbey all the way to Windsor

• Administrator

@Bluewolf genuinely can't think of anything on such a scale.

The moment the coffin was lowered into the vault was both immensely profound and poignant. A very moving moment, for sure. Almost like that realisation or closure was felt.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Bluewolf genuinely can't think of anything on such a scale.

The moment the coffin was lowered into the vault was both immensely profound and poignant. A very moving moment, for sure. Almost like that realisation or closure was felt.

So many traditions carried out throughout the whole 10 days. I kept commenting on what looked like a man with a snooker cue throughout the whole ceremony.

Turns out it was a wand! Broken when her services have finally come to an end.

I've got to admit I had a lump in my throat today, never seen myself as a Royalist but today I felt a real sense of pride for our nation. Not only were we saying goodbye to an incredible human being but we were also seeing the years of tradition and dedication to service from out military. The parade through the London streets will never be matched for me.

RIP Queen Elizebeth ll

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Didn't get to see much of it due to work but what I did see was, as you say was some spectacle... You can say what you like about the Royals but I think she was well loved by a lot of the public.. Would you ever see such a thing anywhere else in the world?? 

The state hearse was accompanied by her Majesty's Guards

The State hearse was strewn with flowers as well wishers paid their respects to the Queen

The coffin had made its way from Westminster Abbey all the way to Windsor

Yes, as you're not the only country in the world to have a monarch well loved by the majority of the population. Thais, for example, absolutely loved their previous King, and the whole country went into genuine grief and mourning when he passed away a couple of years ago. 

Crowds in Bangkok in the funeral procession:

_91927627_mediaitem91927626.jpg.webp

36118972_303.jpg

original.jpg

funeral2.jpg?itok=8tEowBCC

The chariot with the urn on the way to the royal cremation ceremony:

f75dcd5b97bbbe35f2f2387c6ac6b4c6.jpeg?it

royal-cremation-ceremony-of-late-Thai-Ki

original.jpg

original.jpg

funeral12.jpg?itok=-YnJpNRv

original.jpg

original.jpg

Royal crematorium pyre, which was built specifically for this occasion:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yes, as you're not the only country in the world to have a monarch well loved by the majority of the population. Thais, for example, absolutely loved their previous King, and the whole country went into genuine grief and mourning when he passed away a couple of years ago. 

36118972_303.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Amazing.... 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Amazing.... 

I think these two (Thai King and your Queen) were probably among the last few monarchs who have been adored by many people like that, as they were seen as having genuinely dedicated their whole lives for their country and nation. The current King of Bhutan might be one of those, too. 

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

36118972_303.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

We go to a local Thai restaurant and they literally built a shrine to the King inside the restaurant.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think these two (Thai King and your Queen) were probably among the last few monarchs who have been adored by many people like that, as they were seen as having genuinely dedicated their whole lives for their country and nation. The current King of Bhutan might be one of those, too. 

I think it would be fair to say that if you can bring your country to a standstill that you have had a life well lived and died well loved... 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Devil said:

We go to a local Thai restaurant and they literally built a shrine to the King inside the restaurant.

Oh yes, that doesn't surprise me at all! Do they also have massive portraits of the King and Queen hanging on the walls? It's literally everywhere in Thailand, both at homes, shops, restaurants and other businesses.

Just now, nudge said:

Oh yes, that doesn't surprise me at all! Do they also have the massive portraits of the King and Queen hanging on the walls? It's literally everywhere in Thailand, both at homes, shops, restaurants and other businesses.

Yes, clearly very proud of their royalty.

Lovely people as well, so pleasant and friendly. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Oh yes, that doesn't surprise me at all! Do they also have massive portraits of the King and Queen hanging on the walls? It's literally everywhere in Thailand, both at homes, shops, restaurants and other businesses.

Was the same in Yugoslavia with Tito, and in the GDR with Honecker- not sure it's as easy as many pictures being plastered over a country proving or disproving the person on show is beloved.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Was the same in Yugoslavia with Tito, and in the GDR with Honecker- not sure it's as easy as many pictures being plastered over a country proving or disproving the person on show is beloved.

Oh for sure, but in case of Thailand, it's just one of the aspects that might not say much taken out of context, but contributes a lot to the big picture. It's even more obvious when you see the difference in their attitudes now with the new King.

Archived