talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@6666 @nudge this is pretty hilarious. Basically a guy says it was ok that a guy was arrested for an anti monarchy sign because it was a breach of the peace. Fair enough. He then gets asked if he held up a pro monarchy sign near a Republican event would it be ok? He says yes and he shouldn't be arrested. 😂

That guy is so annoying, I can't listen to him. He's literally just talking over other people, shouting, and repeating the same thing without actually engaging in a discussion. Can't stand people like that, literally can't have a conversation with someone like that. 

56 minutes ago, nudge said:

That guy is so annoying, I can't listen to him. He's literally just talking over other people, shouting, and repeating the same thing without actually engaging in a discussion. Can't stand people like that, literally can't have a conversation with someone like that. 

That's pretty much the purpose of LBC and British politics in general, conversations to "slam" people rather than talk about issues.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I don't like him either. But it is quite funny listening to the guy on the phone 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I don't like him either. But it is quite funny listening to the guy on the phone 

I actually meant the guy on the phone xD but the dude in the studio is exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I actually meant the guy on the phone xD but the dude in the studio is exactly the same.

Ow right. James o Brian twists things around. Although I agree with him on alot of things I'm not to keen on him. Unfortunately my Dad can be like the guy on the phone. Hes not capable of logical conversation alot of the time. I'm  not exactly the brightest pea in the pod myself but I like to learn and use logical conclusions.

• Subscriber

James O Brien is quite good at times but whoever does the viral clips for LBC is hit and miss when it comes to which calls are him genuinely pulling apart morons and their arguments, and which ones are just immature shouting matches where he just interrupts and repeats himself. He also has a tendency to sniff what he thinks is an opportunity to generate one of these clips but just ends up going over the top trying to make the caller look silly before it's obvious that they actually are just silly. His monologues are a lot better than these "James O Brien tears apart Brexit voters views on tax cuts" calls.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

James O Brien is quite good at times but whoever does the viral clips for LBC is hit and miss when it comes to which calls are him genuinely pulling apart morons and their arguments, and which ones are just immature shouting matches where he just interrupts and repeats himself. He also has a tendency to sniff what he thinks is an opportunity to generate one of these clips but just ends up going over the top trying to make the caller look silly before it's obvious that they actually are just silly. His monologues are a lot better than these "James O Brien tears apart Brexit voters views on tax cuts" calls.

The thing is with james o brian is that he's very quick witted and very good at manipulating what people say. I think he would struggle more with a written debate where people have more time to think. What I've learned about debates is lot of the time people dont really present enough of a reason for the other person to change their mind. 

@nudge The funny thing is I just had a conversation with my dad about it. I sent it him after joking that he was like that. 

He said he agreed with the man on the phone. I used the same logic and asked him should a monarchist be arrested if it was reversed he said no.  I just dont understand people who can't use logic at all. It's not just an intelligence thing. My auntie is the same and she was a teacher. I do get quite irritated by it as that way of thinking does cause alot of problems in a world wide scale 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

What a fucking prick by disclosing that, he will now become a marked man with all the anti-war brigade around the world, there are things in your private life you should keep private and that (as an ex-serviceman) is one of them, god help him.

Definitely lost respect for Harry for the amount he's spoken out. Call me old fashioned but I think there's a limit to the cliched cries for maximum transparency that flow from the mainstream press, in general these days about every issue. It's just not always needed, and privacy should also be respected.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Definitely lost respect for Harry for the amount he's spoken out. Call me old fashioned but I think there's a limit to the cliched cries for maximum transparency that flow from the mainstream press, in general these days about every issue. It's just not always needed, and privacy should also be respected.

His issue, though, is that private things between he and his family would be leaked too. He doesn't want maximum transparency either. He wanted he and his wife to be respected, but this respect was dismissed at the cost of the Royal Family being protected in the light of the mainstream media. 

His privacy wasn't respected. His main gripe is how one half of the family (Will and Kate) would quite clearly get preferential treatment over he and Meghan.

The thing I sympathise most with Harry is that he sees the same thing happening to Meghan that happened to Diana. He could either shut up about it and carry on letting it happen, or speak up and create change away from an old archaic regime that made people suffer by default, let alone if they did go against the grain. 

I don't believe the monarchy should be abolished, but it does need to get with the times and show a bit of modernity. The other gripe I have are some of the revelations about the mental health of he and Meghan being totally ignored - irony being that Prince William is a big advocate for positive mental health and charities that support it. 

Difficult to avoid all the Harry stuff recently. I think I had posted here before, that I have seen the press (newspaper) coverage that seems to have been a key factor behind all of this. Kate did A & was adored for it. Meghan did A too & got derided. By the same newspapers.

What seems most sad is how much value it seems Harry & all the rest of them place on such media. Most people I know are moving away from the speculative, gossip, celeb culture led newspapers.. and more toward the internet, global social community, 24 news channels. And so plenty of the arguments Harry is making & all the Royals are apparently placing great emphasis on responding too, feels lots less representative than it would have been a generation back. Basically people are surprised by & have to research of their own accord to make sense of most of what Harry is going on about. For me, I don't see Meghan as anything like Diana. It's chalk & cheese as a comparison. The 1 link I would accept, is that it Harry felt bad in anyway, which he clearly did, even as the 'spare' to Williams 'heir' that is clearly a defining way his own mind thinks, then he absolutely had the right to decide he needed to withdraw, move away, in some manner.

But for me, Harry & Meghan have gone too far. They don't make instant sense to anywhere near as many as Diana did. It's a long standing tradition that the monarch is treated as such (including bows & courtesy's) by their own family, heirs. I haven't watched the Netflix series. I spent a Dec to Jan month watching other things. Seeing the pair scoff for American audiences is total cringe. Not something I had any interest in, from the trailer. And some significant portion of all the problems appears to be a popularity contest of the families own making. Including Harry 'the spare' & Meghan. History is littered with lines of succession being challenged & altered for apparent reasons. Sadly, my feeling is Harry & Meghan have more in common with those ancestors than his mum.

• Subscriber

I've largely been sympathetic toward Harry and Meghan but sick of hearing about it all now. Nobody is coming off well with each new revelation. I haven't read the book and won't be but obviously all of the noise on social media is basically impossible to avoid.

I know the sly briefings from Buckingham et al have continued a bit since they moved to America but it does really seem like they still had the opportunity to go away and get more or less forgotten about if that's what they wanted, and it's much more from their side now that they've dragged it all back up and drawn attention to themselves again.

It's becoming a real tedious psychodrama and I don't think I can sum it up better than my original comment. Nobody is coming out of it looking good anymore whether it's mud slinging or "dignified silence".

Why the fuck am I even breathing life into it anyway? They have no more to do with me than the next family down the road having a domestic. 

Archived