talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Royal Family

football forum

How do you feel about the monarchy?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the monarchy?

• Fine as it is.
    • Should be kept but needs significant alterations.
    • We should start to look into abolishing it.

Ultimately it's not the place of the glossy magazine or the showbiz and gossip sections of redtops to challenge the authority and place of the royals. They sell something particular and the royals by design or accident give them that by the bucket load.

Looking at the last 40 years I wouldn't say the press are compliant. There are journalists who may write favourably in exchange for access, that's typically how journalism works across the board regardless of whom it entails. Harry isn't rushing out to give interviews with people who don't like him. There's been plenty of negative coverage of royals for decades. The King has a net negative rating because of what ended up in the press about him over the years.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole thing has become tiresome but can't seem to be avoided.. almost every news feed I see each day no matter which one I use it's getting silly amounts of coverage and frankly I am bored to fucking death with it.. For a couple that wanted to escape the limelight and media they sure don't mind using it to the maximum to help fulfil all their objectives.. 

If royal life has been so traumatic they should drop the titles and just become the media hungry power couple they seem to want to be.. 

Megan and harry haven't really helped themselves. I have no trouble believing she has received racist abuse from members of the royal family. However when you go and do loads of interviews, and are clearly trying to make money from it and other issues. It will make a lot of people doubt it. I do think megan is a lot more sneaky and shrewd than I  thought she was. The media definitely don't like her and treat her differently to Kate. Maybe it is racism I don't know. But perhaps even if she was white she will still not be popular. I don't mean to offend anyone. Anyone who reads my posts knows I hate racism. If anything I said came across as racist please tell me. 

26 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I do think megan is a lot more sneaky and shrewd than I  thought she was

You think??? 

Megan meets easily led fragile royal and gives him the shoulder he needs to cry on on a nightly basis then gets her huge once in a lifetime fairytale wedding with worldwide coverage but doesn't fancy the duties that go with it so needs an out... blames racism issues and negative media coverage in the UK and scuttles back to America with 'nice but dim' in toe... Immediately does a major media interview with Oprah that goes worldwide ( again! ) where they talk about how hard done by they have been by the UK media and other royals while all the time retaining said titles so they can use them to influence companies and other media outlets to promote her ideas.. 'Nice but dim' left to his own devices decides to write a book which might have well of been titled 'Woe Is Me' in which he talks about a load of shit about his family that no-one gives a fuck about... 

@Bluewolf I don't think you should just dismiss the racism. Its not really that hard to believe there would racist people in the royal family. And she has been treated badly by the media. You can actually look at articles that were written about her and compare them to articles about kate doing the same thing. It's not completely one sided just because she has done questionable things doesn't mean everything is all her fault.

1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I don't think you should just dismiss the racism.

I didn't... I never said it didn't exist only it's been used as leverage because let's not forget that telling the story does bring in significant income.. 

12 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I didn't... I never said it didn't exist only it's been used as leverage because let's not forget that telling the story does bring in significant income.. 

Fair enough. But there are a lot of assumptions that are being made that people are sure are true without all the facts. We don't know how harry felt about the royal family. He may have wanted to leave it before he met megan and perhaps part of the reason he married her was because she didn't want to be involved with it. They may have discussed it before getting married. People are blaming her completely but we actually don't know the whole story. Also harry may have wanted to say how he felt. I'm sure the money helps it would be very naive not to think that but that doesn't mean he didn't want to say it anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Fair enough. But there are a lot of assumptions that are being made that people are sure are true without all the facts. We don't know how harry felt about the royal family. He may have wanted to leave it before he met megan and perhaps part of the reason he married her was because she didn't want to be involved with it. They may have discussed it before getting married. People are blaming her completely but we actually don't know the whole story. Also harry may have wanted to say how he felt. I'm sure the money helps it would be very naive not to think that but that doesn't mean he didn't want to say it anyway. 

Each person can make their own mind up about it mate... I have my view but others have different ones and yes, it's not all one sided and true we don't know all the facts but I see things for what I see them as, If Harry never really liked the life then he had an ideal chance to break free when he married Megan and they stepped down but he wants the freedom from the duties but not the titles and the privilege's that go with them..  

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Each person can make their own mind up about it mate... I have my view but others have different ones and yes, it's not all one sided and true we don't know all the facts but I see things for what I see them as, If Harry never really liked the life then he had an ideal chance to break free when he married Megan and they stepped down but he wants the freedom from the duties but not the titles and the privilege's that go with them..  

They can make their own mind up. I don't disagree with that. What I'm saying is its illogical to be certain without all the facts. I'm not saying you are like that but some people are.  

In what way has harry wanted titles and privileges that directly link to the monarchy?

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

The whole thing has become tiresome but can't seem to be avoided.. almost every news feed I see each day no matter which one I use it's getting silly amounts of coverage and frankly I am bored to fucking death with it.. For a couple that wanted to escape the limelight and media they sure don't mind using it to the maximum to help fulfil all their objectives.. 

If royal life has been so traumatic they should drop the titles and just become the media hungry power couple they seem to want to be.. 

Feel like this is the point that is misconstrued by the general public.

It's not that they wanted to be out of the limelight, they just didn't want the British press being given leaks any more and almost free reign to negatively target Meghan and her family, and including Harry. The Royal Family are just as complicit in how Meghan/Harry are viewed, especially the former.

Look at the post you've made earlier about Meghan. What's that based on? Media coverage, right? I sometimes think the impact on Harry is totally dismissed because he clearly feels hurt about the treatment his mum got, and simply wants to avoid that for his own wife and children. 

I think it's clear to see they just wanted the media to stop writing negatively and quite disparagingly about Meghan - and no, it's not about 'blaming racism'. It's wanting to stop the connection the press have with the Royals. Do you ever see negative coverage of Kate? Barely, if any. I wonder why that is. 

All their life they've had to face a trial by media (isn't that what is hated around the world?) and whenever they want to do things on their terms, they're deemed as spoilt or 'media hungry'. It's not surprising they've removed themselves from such a damaging environment and fled to where they feel safe. After wanting to fight it from within and that not working, wouldn't you do that for your family? 

@Stan From memory they had that interview with oprah and a show on Netflix and harry has a book. And obviously there have been various interviews. Now if things are being written about them that aren't true its understandable they want to tell their side of the story. Doing an interview with oprah is a good way to tell a lot of people your story. I'm not sure if the royal family have said a lot of them though.(could be wrong though)So when you are saying bad things about your family people aren't going to have much sympathy. 

I think if the media stopped writing about  them and then they tried to get media attention they you could say fairly conclusively they are media hungry. However if they are just trying to give their side of the story its more complicated.

I don't know to much about it. There are people who have followed it a lot more than me. However they still dont have all the facts. Yet they are certain they hate Megan. Like I said we don't have all the facts and for all we know harry wanted to leave the monarchy before he met her. People make opinions based  the information they have. However I don't think having such toxic hatred for someone is right without all the information 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Stan From memory they had that interview with oprah and a show on Netflix and harry has a book. And obviously there have been various interviews. Now if things are being written about them that aren't true its understandable they want to tell their side of the story. Doing an interview with oprah is a good way to tell a lot of people your story. I'm not sure if the royal family have said a lot of them though.(could be wrong though)So when you are saying bad things about your family people aren't going to have much sympathy. 

I think if the media stopped writing about  them and then they tried to get media attention they you could say fairly conclusively they are media hungry. However if they are just trying to give their side of the story its more complicated.

I don't know to much about it. There are people who have followed it a lot more than me. However they still dont have all the facts. Yet they are certain they hate Megan. Like I said we don't have all the facts and for all we know harry wanted to leave the monarchy before he met her. People make opinions based  the information they have. However I don't think having such toxic hatred for someone is right without all the information 

There are still leaks to the media and the media still write about them in a negative light, before the last few weeks at the time the Netflix doc was released and the book as well.

It's ironic how the Royals are defended despite them being the one who cause the leaks for bad stuff to be said, but when Harry & Meghan tell their side of the story and 'bad-mouth' Royals, everyone loses their shit.

Double standards by some.

Is it though? I've never actually heard anyone defend the leaks by the Palace. Rather, the point about the negative briefing culture moves to a footnote overwhelmingly superceded by other topics needlessly created.

They've had a shocker. Played it appallingly. Wrong move after wrong move. With randoms on social media trying to salvage it for them. That is of course, if you want to believe the purpose of this is to expose wrong behaviour of the Palace. At this stage you'd be very hard pushed to argue that is what it is about. 

The Queen had 1 sister, Margaret, who she supposedly had some clashes with. Much of it around the era they grew up in. And The Queen had 4 children. Charles only produced 2, for whatever reason. Now William has 3.

I sense that is the other side to the 'spare' thing.

As much as they can be seen as having been born into a life of luxury. It must be a very weird life, to be doomed to no prospect of promotion. Permanently being number 2. It may just ease things by having also having a number 3 or 4 perhaps.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Is it though? I've never actually heard anyone defend the leaks by the Palace. Rather, the point about the negative briefing culture moves to a footnote overwhelmingly superceded by other topics needlessly created.

They've had a shocker. Played it appallingly. Wrong move after wrong move. With randoms on social media trying to salvage it for them. That is of course, if you want to believe the purpose of this is to expose wrong behaviour of the Palace. At this stage you'd be very hard pushed to argue that is what it is about. 

Not defending the leaks by the Palace doesn't equate to not having double standards.

The way I see the double standards is that people only feel or see the need to point the finger at Meghan or her behaviour based on the media coverage, whilst not pointing the finger how the Royals have behaved or acknowledging how they've made life so difficult for one of their sons, his wife and children to the point they've needed to leave the country to seek safety, security and happiness in their lives.

Archived