talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheff Utd 1-0 West Ham - Friday 10th January, 2020

football forum

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't believe how much the point is being missed in this thread. Ironically the people who started with "watch everyone blame VAR for this the idiots" are the ones still talking about VAR while me and Dan who are criticising the rule haven't brought VAR into it.

I'm having so much trouble describing this because it just is blatantly obvious that that goal shouldn't be disallowed. I don't know where to start. 

Remember Alexander-Arnold's handball in the Liverpool City game in his own box? Clearly not deliberate but he and his team clearly gained an advantage by it because it stopped City's attack and allowed Liverpool to attack instead. By your logic that should automatically have been called as a foul. Any accidental handball where the team gains any advantage doesn't need to be a foul.

I'm staunchly in favour of the technology being used if it is used correctly and I always have been.

I haven't really criticise VAR in any competition until the Premier League where the implementation has been astonishingly incompetent, and even then I've given it months before starting to criticise it. In this case they've successfully used the technology to implement a new rule, so the technology itself isn't the problem but the Premier League's use of VAR as a whole package is part of the problem with this goal because this handball rule they've introduced is an attempt to make something black or white, which they think they can do now that they have video replays, but they never can make it black or white.

A rule needed to be introduced to stop goals like Boly vs Man City being allowed. All they had to do was say you can't directly score or assist a goal by using your hand.

Think about what you're saying if you think that goal should be disallowed. You're saying that Declan Rice committed a foul because a Sheffield United player kicked the ball at his arm from two feet away when he was closer to his own half than the goal his team-mate eventually put the ball into.

Nobody has said that though have they? It’s the ridiculous rule that makes the implementation of VAR the problem. Dan specifically stated ‘it’s why VAR doesn’t work’. It’s not VAR, it’s the rules. It really is that simple.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't believe how much the point is being missed in this thread. Ironically the people who started with "watch everyone blame VAR for this the idiots" are the ones still talking about VAR while me and Dan who are criticising the rule haven't brought VAR into it

Err Dan did saying the rule change was brought about to aid VAR xD

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Err Dan did saying the rule change was brought about to aid VAR xD

I don't agree with that, but I do think that rules like this have been brought in because they thought they'd be able to implement them consistently now that they've got VAR to help them. He's right in that the rule has come in as part of the Premier League's VAR "package".

• The title was changed to Sheff Utd 1-0 West Ham - Friday 10th January, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived