talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 1-6 Man City - Sunday 12th January, 2020

football forum

De Bruyne is just sheer class, brilliant assist even if Villa look lacklustre.

This Villa side does not look like a Dean Smith side, one of the consistencies under him when we were not picking up results were that we still played well, often outplayed the opposition just didn't have the defensive qualities to push us over the line to make us a threat, also lacking in finishing chances created. Smith in himself is a very laid back man who won't be fazed personally by Villa's league position.

By and large teams that come up through the play-offs generally struggle/go back down compared to the automatic finishers... Villa are where they should be in the league really and I know people mention how much they've spent but if you saw the squad they went up with it was down to the bare bones. This is the difficulty of taking a side up through the play-offs, especially a side that was boosted by Jack Grealish. There's no real long term planning done at Villa and this is the result of it, the pressure of spending £100m+ because they relied on loans and went through that phase where their owner was nearly potless outside of China. Villa's board should have sanctioned the Maupay money instead of letting him go to Brighton.

I'm not sure Villa will do any better under a new manager, the team just is what it is and without Grealish they'd be bottom (and without him they wouldn't have been promoted). They can sack Smith and maybe deservedly so, though I hope he goes on a decent run as is customary with him, but I don't think they'll get much better. This is just the result of a greater lack of direction within the club since the new owners took over.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Danny said:

This Villa side does not look like a Dean Smith side, one of the consistencies under him when we were not picking up results were that we still played well, often outplayed the opposition just didn't have the defensive qualities to push us over the line to make us a threat, also lacking in finishing chances created. Smith in himself is a very laid back man who won't be fazed personally by Villa's league position.

By and large teams that come up through the play-offs generally struggle/go back down compared to the automatic finishers... Villa are where they should be in the league really and I know people mention how much they've spent but if you saw the squad they went up with it was down to the bare bones. This is the difficulty of taking a side up through the play-offs, especially a side that was boosted by Jack Grealish. There's no real long term planning done at Villa and this is the result of it, the pressure of spending £100m+ because they relied on loans and went through that phase where their owner was nearly potless outside of China. Villa's board should have sanctioned the Maupay money instead of letting him go to Brighton.

I'm not sure Villa will do any better under a new manager, the team just is what it is and without Grealish they'd be bottom (and without him they wouldn't have been promoted). They can sack Smith and maybe deservedly so, though I hope he goes on a decent run as is customary with him, but I don't think they'll get much better. This is just the result of a greater lack of direction within the club since the new owners took over.

They're never going to outplay Man City or a lot of the teams in the league though so it's not a surprise, I knew they'd get smashed here, it's a horror match up.

I do think similar is likely to happen to you if you come up as well.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I am Smith can get in the fucking sea, the ginger cunt is too passive and his side reflect that. No pressure all to soft shite. Imagine a wilder doing this 

D523C939-8BB2-41CA-87ED-395E13AF51BF.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Dan said:

They're never going to outplay Man City or a lot of the teams in the league though so it's not a surprise, I knew they'd get smashed here, it's a horror match up.

I do think similar is likely to happen to you if you come up as well.

We have the best defence in the league and have a core group of players in their early-mid twenties ready to step up, mixed with our recruitment which has been the best in the Championship for a long time now and probably a lot of Prem clubs too I'd suspect we'd do well. Relegation battle yes, completely. But we'd do better than Villa. We're better all over the pitch really bar Grealish.

• Subscriber

Villa played like a team who knew they were out of their depth from the first 10 minutes. Making basic errors they wouldn't have made against a 'normal' opponent. Still hope they stay up but things are looking grim. Every other team bar Bournemouth and Norwich have shown some sort of half-solid ability to get results, and from those you know Bournemouth have it in them.

If you spend over £100m and are serving up stuff like that, you are going to be fighting the current.

They never replaced Abraham for me. His goals were massive last season. That's 20-30 goals they have had to replace.

Defence is poor, Mings isn't that bad to be fair, but the rest are horrendous.

The midfield is powderpuff. Looked weak from the off. I feel for them losing McGinn because for me he's class but you go for quantity over quality you are asking for trouble.

Villa chucked everything cash wise getting into this league last year and just squeaked through. That will be a major disappointment for them to go straight back down after two years of solid outlay.

• Subscriber

Is Mings even that good? I've seen a few of their fans criticising him. Could be yet another where he gets over-rated because he's played for England. Who knows.

Villa want to sign Slimani I've heard. That would be interesting.

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

If you spend over £100m and are serving up stuff like that, you are going to be fighting the current.

They never replaced Abraham for me. His goals were massive last season. That's 20-30 goals they have had to replace.

Defence is poor, Mings isn't that bad to be fair, but the rest are horrendous.

The midfield is powderpuff. Looked weak from the off. I feel for them losing McGinn because for me he's class but you go for quantity over quality you are asking for trouble.

Villa chucked everything cash wise getting into this league last year and just squeaked through. That will be a major disappointment for them to go straight back down after two years of solid outlay.

We didn’t chuck cash last year we were broke it was a patchwork of loan deals

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Is Mings even that good? I've seen a few of their fans criticising him. Could be yet another where he gets over-rated because he's played for England. Who knows.

Villa want to sign Slimani I've heard. That would be interesting.

Decent and vocal although yesterday he was poor but no midfield to protect that back line and Neil Taylor against Mahrez, Drinkwater and Hourihane vs KDB and Silva. I reckon he’d wrote that game off you know scandalous stuff 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

We didn’t chuck cash last year we were broke it was a patchwork of loan deals

Decent and vocal although yesterday he was poor but no midfield to protect that back line and Neil Taylor against Mahrez, Drinkwater and Hourihane vs KDB and Silva. I reckon he’d wrote that game off you know scandalous stuff 

Loan deals aren't free mate. You had the money to splurge on wages. Tammy Abraham wasn't cheap. Tyrone Mings wouldn't have been cheap. Bolasie wouldn't have been cheap. You get my drift.

And let's not forget how much you spent the year before which got you into so much trouble.

You were on the brink of admin last summer and luckily for you avoided having to cost cut to stay alive with the investment.

I think when you look back, you'd have to say you've not used that money wisely have you. McGinn was a great signing and Mings and Heaton are solid enough but just so much dross around it.

You got to be disappointed, I would be had we spent anything near that.

• The topic was unpinned
12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Loan deals aren't free mate. You had the money to splurge on wages. Tammy Abraham wasn't cheap. Tyrone Mings wouldn't have been cheap. Bolasie wouldn't have been cheap. You get my drift.

And let's not forget how much you spent the year before which got you into so much trouble.

You were on the brink of admin last summer and luckily for you avoided having to cost cut to stay alive with the investment.

I think when you look back, you'd have to say you've not used that money wisely have you. McGinn was a great signing and Mings and Heaton are solid enough but just so much dross around it.

You got to be disappointed, I would be had we spent anything near that.

No we were haemorrhaging money last year, Xia ran out of cash and hadn’t we been brought by NSWE then we would have been fucked. 

NSWE probably pumped in £40m last year to keep us going. Suso has brought all these players in based on young with good potential, they’re being poorly coached. 

DS was like this at Brentford he talks a good game but far too passive and his team reflect that 

I feel like Mings does well when the team needs to play positively. His pace and strength help out when there's a lot of space to defend, or going up against burly centre-forwards trying to bring their teammates forward. 

I don't think he's suited for sitting deep under pressure against teams like City. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I feel like Mings does well when the team needs to play positively. His pace and strength help out when there's a lot of space to defend, or going up against burly centre-forwards trying to bring their teammates forward. 

I don't think he's suited for sitting deep under pressure against teams like City. 

Helps when he has a midfield in front of him. This is 15/16 all over again 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

No we were haemorrhaging money last year, Xia ran out of cash and hadn’t we been brought by NSWE then we would have been fucked. 

NSWE probably pumped in £40m last year to keep us going. Suso has brought all these players in based on young with good potential, they’re being poorly coached. 

DS was like this at Brentford he talks a good game but far too passive and his team reflect that 

Who takes over then? Would you give it to John Terry?

Archived