The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 11th January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
25 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Good result for us. Dubravka with a few good stops. Was expecting more from Wolves, they never seemed to reach relentless attacking.

I like Dubravka. He's someone I'd like us to look whenever Kasper moves on.

• Subscriber

Schmeichel's best game of the season today.

Honestly, keep your eyes on Southampton, their form is brilliant and after seeing that I can see why. They're going to surprise a few more people this year.

It's starting to look like their bad start has cost them a brilliant position rather than their good finish saved them from a disastrous one.

I've got so much time for the way they set up today. They're a good side to watch.

3 hours ago, Eco said:

I heard Miggy scored the goal today, which makes 3 goals in the past month. I'm assuming he's been looking a lot better? 

Always gives 100% so it's good to see it pay off finally. A lesson for life.

It may be that he's got better because Joelinton isn't his nearest team mate lately. A lot of attacks end because of Joelinton.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I like Dubravka. He's someone I'd like us to look whenever Kasper moves on.

Personally think he's been hit and miss this season. Won us games, lost us games. On his day very good, had one of those today.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Rick said:

I almost wish saints had gotten a few more to make up a bit for the 0-9, even though I have nothing against Leicester.

Could have been 9 really. Ings could have had about 5.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

Not the best quality but that's the Walcott incident. So either the FA or our officials or the rulebook or VAR, take your pick because it doesn't matter who's fault it is, think that it's more of a foul for Declan Rice to get the ball twatted at his arm by an opponent than it is for a player to clearly pull back an opponent through on goal.

A better comparison would be the farcical penalty Brighton were awarded against us in the return fixture but I couldn't find a clip of that in the 60 seconds I could be arsed looking.

• Subscriber

You can ignore the silly comment above the video on this tweet but case in point, this was given as a penalty because the player dived instead of staying on his feet. It's not even debatable, players have to dive like this because they don't get some decisions if they don't. The FA tried to implement their farcical plan of handing out 2 game retrospective bans for divers but what's the point in even trying to come up with "new" ways of tackling simulation in football when the referees are getting it so wrong at a basic level.

Just think, an actual qualified referee watched ten replays of that Walcott incident and concluded that it wasnt a foul xD.

And don't even try and engage me on this one. There is no devils advocate position here. It's clear and factual.

Ok so I've just watched the highlights of the Leicester game ... what's happened?

I find myself thinking that they now could possibly blow top four. Hope not.

Their last 4 - 5 games makes you wonder how the hell they are even in such a good position. 

Come on Leicester, pull yourself together.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Southampton will finish in a Europa League place at this rate. Some teams turn up and win and you just think they're nothing special at all but Southampton battered us today. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that could've finished 1-5.

First time we've lost from a winning position at home since September 2015 I believe.

We were abject. Absolutely awful in every possible way and to be honest doubts are creeping in now. We've not been great for a while now. Our home form is going back to the Puel days. Even the ones we won lately we won by the virtue of dog shit opposition imploding like Watford.

Can't quite get my head around how we can go from winning 0-9 at their place to them not just beating us, but thumping us. Fair play to them.

This last month has proven that Ndidi is our most important player.

We have got to sign a winger now. We are risking not making the top 4 by not. Far too many underperformers lately. Chilwell was astoundingly bad, again, Barnes and Perez - what was the point?

Think they had a point to prove tonight mate. That 9 nil loss will have seeing like hell, and would be used to drive motivation for the game yesterday.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ok so I've just watched the highlights of the Leicester game ... what's happened?

Their last 4 - 5 games makes you wonder how the hell they are even in such a good position. 

Various factors I'd say. 

Southampton were better than us by a country mile yesterday. I'm pretty sure they had revenge on their mind even if their manager says otherwise. They are bang in form as well regardless of October's result. 

Players suffering from several games in short time and showing fatigue. It's a young squad too. 

Home form has actually been quite poor for a while. Last win was Everton at home and even that was fortunate as we were poor. I don't think we'll blow top 4 as I think we'll recover form, not to mention the gap so far and those sides being inconsistent somewhat. By the end of the season it may not be as much as an 11 point gap but I think we'll be fine.

We severely missed Ndidi yesterday and it goes to show how important he is to our side. 

We've got a thin squad - every side goes through a poor patch and bad form though. The fact we're still 2nd is testament to how good we've been so far. We're not there by luck and can't base our position based on last few games only. 

9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Not the best quality but that's the Walcott incident. So either the FA or our officials or the rulebook or VAR, take your pick because it doesn't matter who's fault it is, think that it's more of a foul for Declan Rice to get the ball twatted at his arm by an opponent than it is for a player to clearly pull back an opponent through on goal.

A better comparison would be the farcical penalty Brighton were awarded against us in the return fixture but I couldn't find a clip of that in the 60 seconds I could be arsed looking.

It's a definite penalty. Funny though, because Salah got two or three of them last season and we were told they weren't penalties by loads

Edit: just seen your post on the next page

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Hard to really pinpoint what specifically it is but I don't think we've really played well at home for a couple of months now. Mad to think we won 8 on the bounce at home as well.

I think we'll come 3rd still, nobody else seems to have any consistency about them, although Chelsea and Man Utd both thumping teams at home that we struggled against is a bit concerning.

I'd love us to just go and beat West Ham at home next week 3-0 or something but I doubt we'll even win to be honest, it's reminding me a bit of Puel lately where we were truly rancid at home.

On the flip side, away from home we're exceptional, 7 wins in our last 8 away and the one failure was Man City.

• Subscriber

Oh, I also think our lack of quality out wide has been sussed by everyone else and teams are setting up to force us into trying to use the wings. I always worried this could happen and I think we need to buy a winger this month, admittedly it's hard, but our wide options are bottom half standard, they're frequently of just no threat at all.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think we'll come 3rd still, nobody else seems to have any consistency about them, although Chelsea and Man Utd both thumping teams at home that we struggled against is a bit concerning.

But then we've done the same to teams they may not have been beaten? 

I think this is just a blip. I have faith Rodgers will sort it. I think it's more to do with players tiredness as opposed to tactical choices. 

This week will do us the world of good hopefully before 5 games in 13 days :dash3:

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

But then we've done the same to teams they may not have been beaten? 

I think this is just a blip. I have faith Rodgers will sort it. I think it's more to do with players tiredness as opposed to tactical choices. 

This week will do us the world of good hopefully before 5 games in 13 days :dash3:

Yeah for sure and there's a reason we're still comfortably above the others but we're lacking fluidity big time at home recently and I fear it may cost us. Away from home only Liverpool are better than us this year.

I'm also glad we don't have a game this week. If it is tiredness though then it's a slight concern ahead of next season when we're undoubtedly going to play even more games, although obviously I'd imagine we'll bring in more players to suit that.

We need to win at Burnley. They're looking shocking this year.

Pleased with the win, it was fully deserved but we could have easily conceded again with our shaky defense. Odoi and James where winning the game down the right side. Overall no one did badly, all put a shift in and we win home after back to back home defeats. We gained some form with four wins, a draw and one defeat in all competitions but i believe that another disastrous run like the one where we won two in eight would see us out of the top form for good.

Archived