talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can Leicester Challenge For The Title Next Season?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it, though the way Shakespeare has turned them around has been so impressive.

He'll get the job full-time and with the right recruitment over the summer they could be targeting top 8 next season.

I think the only possible way for Leicester to get relegated is if they have to play West Brom 38 times at home in a season.

Leicester fans will get it ;) 

57 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Can Leicester do a Chelsea?

When Blackburn won the title in 1995 people probably asked themselves a similar question although it would've been more likely with the Rovers being a winning team back then. Leicester survived the drop before they won it and such a leap was phenomenal. The odds where stacked so high against them at 5,000/1 which just about sums up how much of a shock their title challenge was: it's very unlikely it could happen again in the near future.

Do I see them winning it next season? No. Do I see them finishing in a respectable position? Definitely.

No, and that's not a dig at Leicester. I think, unlike last summer, there will be more changes at Leicester and I can see a few players, who were key players during that amazing title winning season, leaving and Leicester having to, and needing to, to some degree, rebuild in certain areas. 

I think Leicester should really be looking at a comfortable finish in the Premier League and having a good domestic cup run. 

The season before was a freak of nature. Everything went perfectly, everyone clicked, the manager clicked, the formation, the tactics, the mutual understanding. Leicester were an average team that achieved something beyond special.

It depends how the usual suspects do next season... If it goes like last season and this to a certain extent (minus Chelsea) this season, then anything is possible.  The only thing I would say as that the brand of football they've been using since Ranieri was sacked and Shakespeare took over will take a mighty fit side to accomplish such a feat coupled with what I've just said.  Plus the fact that top quality wise their squad is thin.  It would be another miracle in my view but then again football does have a tendency to throw amazing moments your way every now and then.

10 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think they could lose several key players in the summer so probably not.

Well Arsenal will surely try to raid them like last season and then the targeted Leicester players will once again say no to us because they're just too ambitious to experiment at The Emirates. xD

• Administrator

Nope.

Can probably see Kasper, Mahrez leaving. Possibly Drinkwater too. the latter hasn't been that great but he could definitely do a really good job for most sides in the Premier League (outside the top 6).

Maybe my ambitions should be higher but I think of the long-term stability of the club when I say that we should be looking at a high finish for the 2nd part of the league i.e. outside the traditional top 6. 

It all depends on recruitment and, if  necessary, replacement of players who leave. Last summer was a shambles but it was unchartered territory for the club. We will be more shrewd this summer as in previous years (barring summer 2016). Shakespeare's bound to get the job full time and that can only help establishing the club in the top half of this league. We could, possibly, challenge for a European spot. 

• Subscriber

I will be amazed if we challenge for the title but I think we can push for a Europa league place. 19 points in our last 10 games, finishing in a style that we did two years ago. It doesn't keep happening by chance. It's a good side.

Archived