• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 MLS Season

football forum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/08/2020 at 02:34, Stan said:

Wow, just went to check the scores and seen the posts above. That's a big statement to make to postpone games. How long for though? 

Just that day's it appears. Sports are set to resume as normal today. 

Tonight is Montreal Impact vs Toronto FC

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Oh was racism defeated? 

While obviously not, the NBA has agreed to resume games today, so I'm not sure what, if any, type of agreement/plan/response was agreed upon. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

While obviously not, the NBA has agreed to resume games today, so I'm not sure what, if any, type of agreement/plan/response was agreed upon. 

I’m reading their contracts would’ve been terminated. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I’m reading their contracts would’ve been terminated. 

xD

Absolutely no chance of that. No team would have terminated their contracts...they are in the playoffs so it's not like we are talking about small, untalented teams. I'd love the Lakers to look at Lebron and AD and terminate their contracts because they decided to use their platform as NBA stars to stand up for racial justice

This is the joint statement from the NBA and the Player's Union - 

In a joint statement released Friday, the sides said they would immediately establish a social justice coalition, made up of players, coaches and owners, that would focus on issues such as voting access and advocating for meaningful police and criminal justice reform.

Play stopped Wednesday when the Milwaukee Bucks didn’t take the court for their playoff game against Orlando, showing their frustration with the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin and acts of racial injustice.

Games were postponed the last two days before a meeting between owners and players Thursday in which an agreement to resume was reached.

Team owners who also control their arena property will work with local officials to turn the building into a voting location for the 2020 general election to allow for safe, in-person voting.

And the league and players will work with TV networks to create advertising spots during the remainder of the post-season to promote greater engagement in the election process and their communities.

“These commitments follow months of close collaboration around designing a safe and healthy environment to restart the NBA season, providing a platform to promote social justice, as well as creating an NBA Foundation focused on economic empowerment in the Black community,” the statement read.

“We look forward to the resumption of the playoffs and continuing to work together – in Orlando and in all NBA team markets – to push for meaningful and sustainable change.”

Just now, Eco said:

xD

Absolutely no chance of that. No team would have terminated their contracts...they are in the playoffs so it's not like we are talking about small, untalented teams. I'd love the Lakers to look at Lebron and AD and terminate their contracts because they decided to use their platform as NBA stars to stand up for racial justice

So what's changed? 

Why are the players, particularly LeBron, wanting to resume after "taking a stance" against a police shooting where, yet again, has no evidence to suggest it was racially motivated? 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

So what's changed? 

Why are the players, particularly LeBron, wanting to resume after "taking a stance" against a police shooting where, yet again, has no evidence to suggest it was racially motivated? 

Well, according to the NBA's statement, some small changes to help out the poorer communities with voter accessibility. 

As for there being no evidence for it being racially motivated..? I think you are confused, as we live in the country where we have a large amount of black people being killed by police. The most recent, Blake, was shot 7 times in the back in front of his kids....I don't know what you think about the numerous slayings and shooting of black people by police officers, but this is 100% something we must address, and as the old saying goes, "if it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck'. Another white cop attempting to kill a black man who wasn't overtly threatening is many terrible things, and racism certainly appears a solid reasoning. 

Down 2-0 at HT. 

Defense, partially Bello, has more whole open than Swiss cheese. 

Plus it's always going to be a difficult battle while we are missing Barco, Escobar, and Martinez. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived