• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Film & TV Opinions

football forum

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/09/2021 at 10:59, Gunnersauraus said:

Well some of it was very ahead of its time. The lesbian wedding, Ross had two interracial relationships. But there were some things which could quite rightly be considered very out of date.

When I say a warning I mean an advisory one like when you warn that something has strong language etc. I dont mean a massive warning just a mention.

There are more than this but some of the ones I can remember are that there was this ongoing joke about Chandler being gay. It could be considered slightly homophobic. Bare in mind that gay people have been persecuted for years and still are at times so you can understand them being offended by it. There was also the continuing story about his dad being transgender which again could be considered transphobic. Although they do make up in the end throughout the show it is generally considered a negative thing.  Also one that I didnt notice but many pointed out. When Rachel's Italian boyfriend touches phoebe without her permission. The main part of the story is that he has tried to cheat on Rachel not that he has touched phoebe without her permission. Nothing is mentioned of how wrong that is.I think that one is actually one of the worst. There is also the fact that Joey uses women all time for sex then doesnt ring them. 

Like I said I dont mean a massive warning just an advisory note. These arent jokes that may offend some people these are things that are generally considered not acceptable today so I think  its important to mention it. I also think it would help because it means we arent censoring things but we are at least acknowledging that parts of it were wrong 

Same thing with Community. There is an episode where the characters play dungeons and dragons, and one of the character dresses up  as a drow elf, which does look similar to blackface, but that was the joke, they play it for laughs but the entire episode is banned instead of having a warning. I don’t remember anyone being cross about the joke especially in the context of roleplaying game,

Just now, Spike said:

Same thing with Community. There is an episode where the characters play dungeons and dragons, and one of the character dresses up  as a drow elf, which does look similar to blackface, but that was the joke, they play it for laughs but the entire episode is banned instead of having a warning. I don’t remember anyone being cross about the joke especially in the context of roleplaying game,

The thing is ideas change. Things that were acceptable before arent now. But a lot of people dont want censorship even if it offends them. That's not to say I think we should make jokes about certain things now they belong in the past but I dont think they need to be censored. 

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The thing is ideas change. Things that were acceptable before arent now. But a lot of people dont want censorship even if it offends them. That's not to say I think we should make jokes about certain things now they belong in the past but I dont think they need to be censored. 

Last night I watched an old WWF PPV from 1998, since it is now broadcasted via Peacock NBC, it is heavily censored. What is the point of having the old WWF just to censor it? I saw Stone Cold get kicked in the nuts and the give a blurred out middle finger.

48 minutes ago, Coma said:

The American version of The Office was crap.  Never saw the UK version.

Watched 2 episodes of the USA version and that was enough for me. I found him to be utter OTT and unfunny. I really wanted it to be good because I loved Office Space.

32 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Never really got into Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. I keep saying i will but i've pre judged both franchises from watching bits of them.

You are right to be sceptical.

I had read LOTR a long time before the film and also the Hobbit. Later read the Silmarillion.

LOTR was three books and the Hobbit one.

Now the Hobbit is three films just like LOTR and the money men have taken over meaning the Legolas character is in both movies. He was only in LOTR not the Hobbit. There are also several other changes or additions not true to the source material.

With Star Wars I was 10 when I saw it and enjoyed it though never saw the excitement and never saw another. 

• Subscriber
On 19/09/2021 at 02:57, Waylander said:

You are right to be sceptical.

I had read LOTR a long time before the film and also the Hobbit. Later read the Silmarillion.

LOTR was three books and the Hobbit one.

Now the Hobbit is three films just like LOTR and the money men have taken over meaning the Legolas character is in both movies. He was only in LOTR not the Hobbit. There are also several other changes or additions not true to the source material.

With Star Wars I was 10 when I saw it and enjoyed it though never saw the excitement and never saw another. 

To some degree. The LOTR movies I thought where fantastic full stop. I only read the first and about half of the second books, the first was top notch but the second I tried going back several times I just couldnt get passed the Golem, Sam and Frodo wandering section... its just way to long and shit.

The Hobbit was a great book though and I feel the same way about them squeezing every bit of blood they could out of the story to stretch something that was what? 1/4 of any one of the LOTR books into 3 movies. It hurt my soul, but tbf the movies are ok, nowhere near LOTR but still fine. 

Terminator genesis actually had a lot of new ideas and was a good film. Dark fate although very similar to other films had very good action scenes and was good. 

23 hours ago, nudge said:

I liked the LOTR books, didn't care for the movies at all...

I didnt enjoy them that much although I was young at the time. Might watch that new series when it comes out 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didnt enjoy them that much although I was young at the time. Might watch that new series when it comes out 

I didn't even realise they are making a new series!

17 minutes ago, nudge said:

I didn't even realise they are making a new series!

They were. Haven't heard much about it maybe it got cancelled or delayed because of covid 

• 8 months later...
52 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The women in ghost busters deserve praise and acclaim. Do you know how many ghosts there are in New York post 911? Very brave service women. 

You fucking suck dude xD This is some knock knock tier bullshit

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Tommy said:

Lost in Translation is one of the best movies ever made. 

People are very fond of that movie. I don't think it's unpopular, maybe a stretch but I don't think this is controversial.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

This is probably more of a "random shower thought" than an unpopular opinion, but I didn't know where else to post it... 

I think it should be obligatory for the creators of any TV show to reveal the whole general storyline for the viewers of the show if it gets canceled prematurely. I was browsing around and realised that quite a few shows I liked got canceled at some point and had no proper ending, and now it is pissing me off xD 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is probably more of a "random shower thought" than an unpopular opinion, but I didn't know where else to post it... 

I think it should be obligatory for the creators of any TV show to reveal the whole general storyline for the viewers of the show if it gets canceled prematurely. I was browsing around and realised that quite a few shows I liked got canceled at some point and had no proper ending, and now it is pissing me off xD 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839683/

Awake is the first one that comes to mind for me. I really enjoyed the story, and it never got a second season. :( 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839683/

Awake is the first one that comes to mind for me. I really enjoyed the story, and it never got a second season. :( 

Ha, I had it on my list, but never actually watched it...

For me, the big ones are Carnivale, V (the remake), Messiah, Deadwood, and now Westworld...

Archived