talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hey up

football forum

Hola !

I posted on TFF for about 6 months a few years ago and I really enjoyed it there. I suddenly stopped posting when I had a lot of upheaval in my life, but hopefully I'm back for the long haul this time.  

I went back to TFF to revive my account, but I discovered what had gone on and managed to find this place. It looks great. Well done to everyone for making this happen.  

I was born and bred in Preston and I've been a PNE fan all my life. I dream of seeing us spend at least one season in the top flight during my lifetime. 

My significantly better half is Mexican so I'm a big fan of the Mexican league and national team as well (I have no choice there). 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Talk Football 365!

You can keep up to date with all of our activity by heading over to our Facebook page.

We would also appreciate it if you had a quick look over our forum guidelines as we like to have a relaxed environment and keeping to those will help. We'd also appreciate it if you could let us now where you found us.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Enjoy your stay!

Cheers mate.

Haha until Preston gets added, Blackburn was the most desirable option out of the ones available. It's a show of Lancashire solidarity ahead of their relegation judgement day tomorrow. I could never bring myself to do the same for Blackpool or Burnley though !

Welcome. I can't stand the Mexican NT but I do love the liga mx so I'm looking forward to conversations on that.

Thoughts on Raul Ruidiaz?

Haha yes I can perfectly understand why the Mexican NT are hated across Latin America. A lot of delusions of grandeur for a team that has only reached 2 World Cup quarter-finals (both on home soil) in their history. I remain hopeful of seeing them finally reaching that 5th World Cup game one day after 428 consecutive last 16 exits. Given how much money there is in Mexican football, the NT have definitely underachieved. 

I love watching the Liga MX. In quality I would rank it as one of the top 10 leagues in world in terms of quality, still comfortably ahead of the MLS, and there is a lot of entertaining football, goals and excitement, drama, crazy behaviour from players and coaches and a refreshing amount of parity.

Ruidiaz has been an absolute revelation season, easily the best forward in the league (ahead of players like Gignac) and has shone in a pretty lousy Morelia team that is desperately trying to avoid relegation. He has basically single-handedly carried the team with his goals (including some stunners) this season, and has been lethal on the counter-attack. He will definitely leave for better things this summer. I think that Santos Laguna and Rangers have been linked with him so far. 

Another ex Universitario player, Andy Polo, has been inconsistent this season but there have been some glimpses of quality from him.

Excellent post and I agree with every word. I can't say I hate the Mexican players, more their fans who are just annoying as hell. Doing oles and putos chants 5 seconds into the match, also the claim that they are better than most South Americans when they're not. It's unbearable. It's good to have a realist on here.

Liga MX is definitely top 3 in the Americas and the quality is great, I'm not sure I'd rank it top 10 because defendes can be shaky but attacking wise the quality is there and it shows on the pitch.

Raul Ruidiaz is great. Loved over here at Universitario. He's definitely off to a bigger club, whether Monarcas stays up or goes down. Monarcas seems to be a club where Peruvians are loved, Chorri Palacios, Juan Reynoso and now Ruidiaz. Rangers as in Scottish Rangers?

About Andy Polo, I've seen a bit of him abroad and he's better in Mexico than he was here in Peru. He's a player who needs others around him and a motivator to work. His football brain can be poor. Whenever Universitario had a big match he'd spend it making backpasses on the wing and it was frustrating to watch. As you mentioned, he's inconsistent. Always has been. He can be superb on his day but it would be nice to see that all the time.

28 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Excellent post and I agree with every word. I can't say I hate the Mexican players, more their fans who are just annoying as hell. Doing oles and putos chants 5 seconds into the match, also the claim that they are better than most South Americans when they're not. It's unbearable. It's good to have a realist on here.

Liga MX is definitely top 3 in the Americas and the quality is great, I'm not sure I'd rank it top 10 because defendes can be shaky but attacking wise the quality is there and it shows on the pitch.

Raul Ruidiaz is great. Loved over here at Universitario. He's definitely off to a bigger club, whether Monarcas stays up or goes down. Monarcas seems to be a club where Peruvians are loved, Chorri Palacios, Juan Reynoso and now Ruidiaz. Rangers as in Scottish Rangers?

About Andy Polo, I've seen a bit of him abroad and he's better in Mexico than he was here in Peru. He's a player who needs others around him and a motivator to work. His football brain can be poor. Whenever Universitario had a big match he'd spend it making backpasses on the wing and it was frustrating to watch. As you mentioned, he's inconsistent. Always has been. He can be superb on his day but it would be nice to see that all the time.

The worst are the chicanos that are 'Mexican' but can't speak Spanish. 'Fuck America, holmes' says Javier in a midwestern accent unaware of the irony. So many American knocking about with Mexican tops.

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Welcome back Hugh Jass! I actually remember you from the last place thanks to your brilliant username. I'd no idea that you only posted for six months or so as it seemed longer and I had no idea that you were born and bred in Preston. I myself live just up the road in Ashton-in-Makerfield and am planning on making a trip down to Deepdale next season as I start to watch more lower league football, hopefully it's a decent ground to go to :).

I'm gutted you didn't make the playoffs as it'd be amazing to have you in the top flight but I think if we're being honest you've had a good season regardless. What are your hopes for the 2017/18 campaign and what do you need to do in order to make the Premier League?

Thanks mate. I loved the banter and discussion on TFF. I much prefer posting on a general football forum with fans of different clubs, than on PNE online which can get a bit boring and samey. 

I think in my last few days on TFF I was defending Moyes to the hilt and saying that he would quickly bounce back from his Man Utd failure and show what a quality manager he was. Another top quality prediction from me there haha. 

We're on track to finish in pretty much the same position as last year with pretty much the same number of points. All in all I think it's been a good season, although our collapse in form over the past month has been worrying. The two areas where we absolutely have to strengthen are bringing in a ball winning central midfielder and a striker. Against the better Championships teams, we've looked short of attacking ideas and options, and lightweight in midfield. During our heavy defeat at Elland Road last month, it really did look like men against boys, although they've blown their play-off chances since then which is funny. 

We've been linked with a few younger, promising players from the lower leagues and the League of Ireland so we'll see. I personally think we should try and raid Blackburn's youth academy as they have some good prospects there. That will not go down well with the Rovers fans on here though ! Callum Robinson has had an excellent season for us but some of the bigger and richer Championship clubs like Villa are looking at him.

Thanks for loaning us McGeady he has been amazing this season. I think he scored 5 out of our official 10 goal of the season contenders.

You should definitely make the trip to Deepdale next season, it's a good ground, especially since they rennovated the Pavilion stand which used to be a dump. The stands are very steep though. 

I like Everton and I really rate Koeman. Hopefully you guys have a good summer transfer-wise and try to push on next season and have a good go at the cup competitions as well. 

58 minutes ago, Cure said:

Welcome Hugh. It's a shame Preston didn't make the play-offs as I'd been hoping.

35 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Yo 

34 minutes ago, Spike said:

Welcome! If you post in the 'badge request' thread the staff will happily give you a Preston badge.

Thanks everyone ! Much appreciated. 

Cheers I've requested a Preston badge. I'm confusing myself talking about 'us' but then showing a Blackburn badge !

29 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Welcome! I don't think I was around on TFF when you were but it's always nice to see new clubs represented.

Now tell me about Omar Bravo...

Cheers pal.

I wasn't that memorable on TFF. I usually posted war and peace length rants or essays after every Preston game every weekend. 

Omar Bravo now that is a divisive topic. IMO he has been an excellent player in the Liga MX, but has been overrated by some fans and pundits in Mexico who have called him a Mexican legend which is way, way over the top. Even in recent years some people were calling for him to picked for the NT which was ridiculous. 

He was clearly brilliant for Chivas and is their all-time record goal scorer and one of their greatest ever forwards which is a noteworthy achievement. But he was clearly out of his depth during his one season in Spain at Deportivo. And for the Mexican NT, other than at the 2007 Copa América, he has been lacklustre. IMO he definitely didn't deserve to be capped 66 times. He was a back-up option or squad player in ability who started far too many games IMO. It's harsh but my lasting memory of his career for the NT was missing that penalty against Portugal at the 2006 WC. 

Just saw this after Seeing you post in the La Liga Match Day thread...  Made me very happy! :)

Remember Hugh Jass very well...  Really enjoyed reading him and is extremely knowledgeable on football...  A great addition to this forum and I hope you stay for good this time mate.

Welcome home!

Now I understand why you have the Blackburn Rovers crest.

Yes it's Glasgow Rangers that are interested in signing him according to the transfer rumour mill. Apparently América have shown an interest as well. It will be interesting to see where he does end up. Given how wealthy Mexican clubs they could easily match the wages that Rangers (in their current financial position) would offer, but it would be interesting to see ho he would get on at a big, well supported European club. 

It's difficult to rank the Liga MX exactly. From Europe, the English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese and Dutch leagues are clearly superior, as is the Brazilian league in Latin America. I don't know enough about the Russian, Turkish, Belgian leagues etc to make a comparison there. It's a tough one between the Argentinian and Mexican leagues for the title of the second best Latin American league. Mexican clubs are generally much richer than Argentinean ones and they can keep their best players for longer and import players from South America. And historically I think than Mexican clubs have an all-time winning record against Argentinian teams in the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana. But of course the only title for Mexican clubs in CONMEBOL competitions was Pachuca in the Copa Sudamericana in 2006. Not even the big spending Tigres who prioritised the Copa Libertadores could win it last year. 

What's your verdict on the Peruvian NT? I would love to see them qualifying for a World Cup in the not too distant future. I work with a couple of Chileans so I have their take on the Chile-Peru rivalry ! I always think of Peru as being incredibly dangerous at Copa América tournaments, but struggling in the long WC qualification format. Ecuador have seemed to have the opposite issue. They are usually excellent in the WC qualifiers, in particular winning a lot of points at home of course, but seem to struggle at lot at the Copa América. 

28 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Just saw this after Seeing you post in the La Liga Match Day thread...  Made me very happy! :)

Remember Hugh Jass very well...  Really enjoyed reading him and is extremely knowledgeable on football...  A great addition to this forum and I hope you stay for good this time mate.

Welcome home!

Now I understand why you have the Blackburn Rovers crest.

Thanks for the kind words mate. Actually believe it or not I found this place by typing your username on google haha !

I hope everything is going good for you. 

Yes i definitely hope to be a more long-term poster this time. I really like the look of this place and there is a lot of good discussion here on various different leagues. 

• Administrator

I remember you, for being a Preston fan rather than the name oddly. You always seem to do a number on QPR (whilst a Marseille fan, I used to be a QPR season ticket holder).

I digress. Good to see another familiar name make the transition over. 

25 minutes ago, Batard said:

I remember you, for being a Preston fan rather than the name oddly. You always seem to do a number on QPR (whilst a Marseille fan, I used to be a QPR season ticket holder).

I digress. Good to see another familiar name make the transition over. 

Thanks. I remember you constantly owning that crazy anti-Martínez Everton fan who kept trolling TFF. Think he was called Halewood or something. He was the only poster that I found annoying. 

Yes for one reason or another we've had a good recent record against QPR, although I do remember a 4-0 hiding that you gave us a few years back. Taarabt made our defenders look like complete idiots. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yes it's Glasgow Rangers that are interested in signing him according to the transfer rumour mill. Apparently América have shown an interest as well. It will be interesting to see where he does end up. Given how wealthy Mexican clubs they could easily match the wages that Rangers (in their current financial position) would offer, but it would be interesting to see ho he would get on at a big, well supported European club. 

It's difficult to rank the Liga MX exactly. From Europe, the English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese and Dutch leagues are clearly superior, as is the Brazilian league in Latin America. I don't know enough about the Russian, Turkish, Belgian leagues etc to make a comparison there. It's a tough one between the Argentinian and Mexican leagues for the title of the second best Latin American league. Mexican clubs are generally much richer than Argentinean ones and they can keep their best players for longer and import players from South America. And historically I think than Mexican clubs have an all-time winning record against Argentinian teams in the Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana. But of course the only title for Mexican clubs in CONMEBOL competitions was Pachuca in the Copa Sudamericana in 2006. Not even the big spending Tigres who prioritised the Copa Libertadores could win it last year. 

What's your verdict on the Peruvian NT? I would love to see them qualifying for a World Cup in the not too distant future. I work with a couple of Chileans so I have their take on the Chile-Peru rivalry ! I always think of Peru as being incredibly dangerous at Copa América tournaments, but struggling in the long WC qualification format. Ecuador have seemed to have the opposite issue. They are usually excellent in the WC qualifiers, in particular winning a lot of points at home of course, but seem to struggle at lot at the Copa América. 

Glasgow Rangers would be interesting. I rather Club America though.

The Peruvian NT is in the best state in 2 decades. We're in the fight to qualify, but I personally don't think we'll do it this time. And yeah, you're spot on. We're class in the Copa America but poor in the qualifiers. Opposite of the English NT really who are good in qualifiers, crap in the tournament.

It helps us that Paolo Guerrero is in his peak. Top striker.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Thanks. I remember you constantly owning that crazy anti-Martínez Everton fan who kept trolling TFF. Think he was called Halewood or something. He was the only poster that I found annoying. 

Yes for one reason or another we've had a good recent record against QPR, although I do remember a 4-0 hiding that you gave us a few years back. Taarabt made our defenders look like complete idiots. 

Oh yes, Halewood Toffee he's something of a cult figure still even after all this time. We exchanged some fairly absurd insults back in the day, I think I've probably mellowed with age since then.

I remember that, every now and then he'd score an absolute worldy and then go missing for several games at a time. Your boys did ok this season, still Grayson managing there?

Archived