• Jamie Redknapp
    • Jermaine Jenas
    • Kevin Kilbane
    • Danny Murphy
    • Roy Keane
    • Rio Ferdinand
    • Other (Please Specify)

football forum

As the title suggests, in this day and age of shite pundits who stands out from the crowd for the right reasons?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Gary Neville as he has noticeably stood out as more honest and knowledgeable than most of the pundits that have been in it longer than he has, who tend to just give soundbites of what they think people want to hear with the exception of Robbie Savage who just pointlessly goes against the grain on anything in an attempt to be controversial.

Jamie Carragher a clear second, too.

12 minutes ago, adziom said:

Gary Neville as he has noticeably stood out as more honest and knowledgeable than most of the pundits that have been in it longer than he has, who tend to just give soundbites of what they think people want to hear with the exception of Robbie Savage who just pointlessly goes against the grain on anything in an attempt to be controversial.

Jamie Carragher a clear second, too.

Good shout. 

I've gone for Jamie Redknapp simply because he seems genuine to me and like the bloke next door when he speaks.  I like Gary Neville as a pundit although he sometimes gets on his high horse using his opinion as knowledge when it's 80% hindsight.  Jamie is the best out of that lot for me.

Michael Owen and Steve McManaman are total crap!  A joke!

These guys are millionaires, most of them spend their days on the golf course or in a spa instead of sitting down and watching the 10 hours of football per day for at least a year that you would need to to become knowledgeable enough to be a pundit.

Most, particularly the sky ones, take shortcuts by asking their "mate" of x club or reading an article in the Times then repeating what other people are saying about a club, a particular player etc.

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Most, particularly the sky ones, take shortcuts by asking their "mate" of x club

Do you reckon Neville asked his mate how to sort out his issues while coaching Valencia? :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

These guys are millionaires, most of them spend their days on the golf course or in a spa instead of sitting down and watching the 10 hours of football per day for at least a year that you would need to to become knowledgeable enough to be a pundit.

Most, particularly the sky ones, take shortcuts by asking their "mate" of x club or reading an article in the Times then repeating what other people are saying about a club, a particular player etc.

That's the thing for me, I think all of these 'experts' at Sky with years of footballing experience don't have a genuine thought for themselves and all 'their' opinions come from stats and analysis that some generic, averagely paid office worker does 9-5. 

My biggest gripe is the lack of actual analysis, yeah they can pause a replay of a goal and tell you how badly the defence is lined up, but generally it's just sensationalism to hype the post match analysis. I don't see how you can be that shocked every game at a bad piece of defending or attacking. Did they watch their own careers? It happens.

Every match has a "end of the world" type performance. They have enough access nowadays to live stats thanks to Opta to actually analyse the game as it happens, heat maps, key battles on the pitch....you can find better analysis from people that have never played the game online afterwards.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

The journalists on BT Sport who do The Champions League analysis during games are the best.

Honigstein and Horncastle, along with James Richardson (who will always be legendary for Channel 4 Serie A coverage in the 90s) are brilliant. It's as if they don't just say anything for the sake of saying it. They come across really knowing what they talk about. 

I quite like Souness & Henry when they're on Sky together, as well as the MNF duo of Redknapp & Neville.

There's plenty I don't like as well, BT Sport are generally very poor although I quite like Jake Humphrey and Gary Linekar when they are hosting.

I don't really watch much live football anymore, I tend to listen. 5Live generally is okay, but has it's fair share of twats, in particular Alan Green, the most pompous, arrogant wanker to grace the microphone.

Football weekly is generally good by the Guardian, although my affection for James Richardson unnerves me.

I know he typically doesn't do English football, but he is English, and that is Ray Hudson. I'm sorry, but I could listen to him and his off-the-wall puns any day. Absolutely brilliant.

I'd much rather listen to a journalist whose entire livelihood and career has been reliant on research and proper analysis, rather than an ex-player swanning around on TV out of boredom, sharing their own extremely limited set of anecdotal experience mixed in with some sound bites about other clubs and players they know nothing about.

1 hour ago, ATL said:

I know he typically doesn't do English football, but he is English, and that is Ray Hudson. I'm sorry, but I could listen to him and his off-the-wall puns any day. Absolutely brilliant.

He shits all over any commentator I've heard in England, legend.

Just now, carefreeluke said:

He shits all over any commentator I've heard in England, legend.

Completely agree. Between his puns, and his overall excitement, he is just the most joyful man to listen to comment on a football match.

They're all pretty shit but I'd say Dietmar Hamann is pretty good. Keown and Dixon aren't too bad either. Carragher and Gary Neville aren't terrible but the way they like to over dramatise everything means they shouldn't be taken too seriously imo.

Having to listen to Hargreaves, Owen, Scholes, Mills or Burley talk about football will make people's heads hurt.

I'd like to see Lampard do more. Seems like he could do well.

Archived