• Gary Neville
    • Jamie Redknapp
    • Jermaine Jenas
    • Kevin Kilbane
    • Danny Murphy
    • Roy Keane
    • Rio Ferdinand
    • Other (Please Specify)

I think it was Karen Carney on 5Live last night and I had to turn it off, could hardly string a sentence together and even then the observations were hardly inspiring. It does bemuse me when you get pundits on things like the Football League highlights who you can tell don't even know who half of the players are, but offer the likes of 'Yeah, he works hard and deserved his goal'. Fucking awful shite that offers nothing. 

I don't watch Sky so can't comment on most of them but do enjoy the likes of Martin Keown and Ian Wright on the BBC, and Shearer deserves credit as he has improved off the scale since he first started. I also enjoy some journalists too, people like Henry Winter are much more interesting and worth reading than the likes of Danny Murphy or Phil Neville.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

I don't really get the whole 'he never managed a football club so he can't criticise football managers' argument. That's like saying managers like Wenger and Mourinho who played at a piss poor level shouldn't be telling top class players what to do. They're different jobs. 

Its more to do with the fact that they make out it is so simple and that they know better. Maybe they don't mean it but it is the way it comes across. I'm not aware of anyone who has said they can't criticise

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's an ad hominem argument used by people who are struggling to cope with the debate so try and belittle the person making the argument. It's fun to ridicule people when you've got them sewn up, but this line is usually used to deflect from their inability to counter a point. @6666 uses it frequently.

@6666 makes very good points in my opinion. However he does have a habit of being very self opinionated and calling anyone who disagrees with him stupid. Ironically he is like piers Morgan who he doesn't like

12 minutes ago, tlr said:

I think it was Karen Carney on 5Live last night and I had to turn it off, could hardly string a sentence together and even then the observations were hardly inspiring. It does bemuse me when you get pundits on things like the Football League highlights who you can tell don't even know who half of the players are, but offer the likes of 'Yeah, he works hard and deserved his goal'. Fucking awful shite that offers nothing. 

I don't watch Sky so can't comment on most of them but do enjoy the likes of Martin Keown and Ian Wright on the BBC, and Shearer deserves credit as he has improved off the scale since he first started. I also enjoy some journalists too, people like Henry Winter are much more interesting and worth reading than the likes of Danny Murphy or Phil Neville.

Shearer has got a lot better. I think he is a bit simple minded at times and a bit of a know it all but he has improved massively. 

So, the football cavemen haven’t got the knives out for Martin Keown, presumably because he has a cock and balls, for saying “you don’t see that often” when Sergio Aguero went off last night, despite him going off in 17 of 21 Premier League games this season. 

I can only imagine the stuff that would come if a woman had said that. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Keown's a known cretin, isn't he?

Aren’t they all, though? They’re all “rent a quote” bores on the whole, the game changer was the analysis done by Neville and Carragher on MNF, where they’d discuss things like shape, structure and things like that and would criticise when needed, rather than just being a “they’ll be wanting to win” type pundit that offers nothing but reads one of ten or so sentences.

Still, it seems that people are quick to slate women’s stupid comments above bloke’s. Keown’s was daft but he doesn’t seem to be getting the abuse Sue Smith got the day before for mentioning Sheffield United needed a goalscorer, forgetting Billy Sharp existed. 

Essentially, pundits are judged and subsequently slated because of their sex, not what comes out of their mouth. Keown hasn’t been slated, whereas Smith has, the woman who works on Sky (the mixed race one, whose name escapes me) is often slated but Sky have the likes of Jamie Redknapp and Thierry Henry, who are absolutely awful and spout rubbish. There’s even Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday who can’t speak the language properly and he’s seen as a laugh and a LAD. If a woman mid-prounounced a name, I’m sure there would be a social media witch hunt. 

Yeah there's certainly a double standard applied, the standard of punditry is generally appalling. I just don't really think ex footballers up to it, I much prefer listening to the thoughts of journalists, the foreign football show on Radio5live is very good and not a single ex pro in sight. I don't want to sound like a snob but the standard of English is just appalling, for a national broadcaster to be allowing such incorrect English to be broadcast is irresponsible. I picked up on Alex Scott 'Was you the penalty taker' the other day but she's just one of many. These people should be given basic English lessons before they start, it's not their fault our Education system is such a laughing stock and nobody bothers to correct them throughout their lives. This isn't 'slang' or 'accents' I'm talking about, I welcome regional variations and it's great to see working-class people up there but there's no excuse for allowing basic errors go free.

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 13/07/2019 at 09:01, Stan said:

Stuart Pearce xD

Never liked him and can't stand him on Talksport. 

Talksport gets worse by the day. They've found a niche in the market where they appeal to the "yer da" 40-50 year old demographic by getting guests on to try and deny that the Allardyce-Pardew-Bruce carousel days have gone so that Big Dave the joiner can sit in his van between jobs and nod sagely before announcing "at end of day, nothing beats a good old fashioned English manager who just knows how to get them organised, it's simple", then wiping the yolk from his bacon and egg bap off his chin.

Talkshite has always been dreadful, honestly prefer following matches on live text than listening to it on there. Putting adverts literally in the middle of live commentaries is just taking the piss. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 06/08/2019 at 02:13, Spike said:

Jose Mourinho should stick to interviews and punditry! 

He's a pundit for Sky now! 

First game Man Utd vs Chelsea... 

Have to say I thought he was really engaging. Probably the first time in a while I've watched the post match analysis right up to when the show ended.

The difference from Thierry Henry to him is gargantuan. Makes Henry look like a lidl panelist.

And as for sharing the studio with Graeme Souness, Jose made him look like he's got asbergers. Time to go Souey.

Jose is definitely more likeable in this environment.

Sky should get Wenger for me and team them up. That would make their panel serious A-list again.

What a great combo potentially, the two managers that hated eachother for years, now working together.

Could be gold.

Archived