• Gary Neville
    • Jamie Redknapp
    • Jermaine Jenas
    • Kevin Kilbane
    • Danny Murphy
    • Roy Keane
    • Rio Ferdinand
    • Other (Please Specify)

I haven't seen a lot of Roy Keane but just seems to just have to be angry about something and doesn't contribute anything else. Yesterday, he was just angry at Switzerland for a short rant and then sat quietly contributing nothing for the rest of the show. 

Maybe that's what people want from him, but just feels like he could at least show something else. Otherwise you might as well have the old man down the pub sitting on the ITV set.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keane is pretty symptomatic of football and football fans in this country. Short bursts of anger and rants, much like you see on social media that go viral. I don’t think it’s a character that Keane is playing, that’s generally how he is but it’s pretty boring now. I’ve no problem with impassioned moments but that’s just how Keane is regardless. 

I'm not sure what ITV were on but putting Sam Matterface as their flagship commentator for England games over Clive Tyldesley. His voice is the equivalent of watching paint dry.

Honestly, he is so fucking boring. No character, find it very hard to engage in the game when he's doing it.

Contrast that to Tyldesley who has done the Holland Ukraine, Germany France and Denmark Belgium games to date, all have been thoroughly great watches with big thanks to him.

11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Keane is pretty symptomatic of football and football fans in this country. Short bursts of anger and rants, much like you see on social media that go viral. I don’t think it’s a character that Keane is playing, that’s generally how he is but it’s pretty boring now. I’ve no problem with impassioned moments but that’s just how Keane is regardless. 

I think it is a character he's playing, tbh. Watching him with Micah Richards shows him in a completely different light that make him seem both lighthearted and hilarious - which are two things you'd probably not think are a part of his personality if you just remember him as a player or judge him off his general punditry persona.

Tbh, I think all the big pundits on Sky are told to act a certain way - because in a sense, they're a bit like characters on a TV show. You can see it a bit when one of these pundits ends up doing punditry in the US/Canada and is absolutely nothing like the persona you'd be more familiar with. Carragher's an obvious example - when he's on US tv doing punditry he's straight faced and serious as fuck other than the time he went out of his way to insult Alexi Lalas, which seems miles away from his not-very-serious & banter-happy stick he and Gary Neville have going on.

But you're probably right that it's symptomatic of football fans in the country - because the producers at Sky are the ones telling them to behave the way that'll get the most views from fans in the UK.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of glad Mark Lawrenson was nowhere to be seen on the new seasons first Football Focus. He's felt a bit too Ian Hislop of football for a while. The older man who doesn't quite get all the fuss.

It did feel noticeable that it was Alex Scott, Micah Richards & Dion Dublin.. 3 black presenters. Quite topical I guess. Alex Scott as good if not an improvement as host on Dan Walker. Always enjoy hearing Dion Dublin's humble mans analysis. Micah Richards I do struggle with his loud style a bit.

Lineker & Shearer are good, but a bit samey now, because they've been a pair so long. My interest always seems to be in whoever else is with them. And I could watch Gabby Logan present anything sporting.

Don't hear too much of what Sky have to say too often, but whenever I do it's like Man United or Liverpool TV. Or both at the same time. With Amazon & other broadcasters, I do wonder how long before it actually becomes that. TV or streaming season tickets for X clubs home & away matches.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I'm kind of glad Mark Lawrenson was nowhere to be seen on the new seasons first Football Focus. He's felt a bit too Ian Hislop of football for a while. The older man who doesn't quite get all the fuss.

It did feel noticeable that it was Alex Scott, Micah Richards & Dion Dublin.. 3 black presenters. Quite topical I guess. Alex Scott as good if not an improvement as host on Dan Walker. Always enjoy hearing Dion Dublin's humble mans analysis. Micah Richards I do struggle with his loud style a bit.

Lineker & Shearer are good, but a bit samey now, because they've been a pair so long. My interest always seems to be in whoever else is with them. And I could watch Gabby Logan present anything sporting.

Don't hear too much of what Sky have to say too often, but whenever I do it's like Man United or Liverpool TV. Or both at the same time. With Amazon & other broadcasters, I do wonder how long before it actually becomes that. TV or streaming season tickets for X clubs home & away matches.

I really liked Dan Walker. Shame he left but don't mind Alex Scott getting the gig.

As for them being 3 black presenters. Makes no difference to me. I like their contribution, input, knowledge, sense of humour for that kind of programme.

Far better than those on Soccer Saturday who had become a bit of a joke unto themselves - Merson, Le Tissier, Dowie, McInally, Thompson. It became very dry and tiresome. There's only so much 'joy' you can get out of Merson mispronouncing a foreign name before it becomes casually offensive.

I actually thought Lawrenson gave the best insights though he does make it obvious by gestures or comments that he does not like some aspects of the program.

I like the manner of Dublin and Scott though think Lawrenson gave better football insights

Dan Walker was ok too.. 

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Never a fan of Lawrenson. He just hung on the coat tails of Alan Hanson, he was the best pundit the BBC had for ages before he called it a day.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I really liked Dan Walker. Shame he left but don't mind Alex Scott getting the gig.

As for them being 3 black presenters. Makes no difference to me. I like their contribution, input, knowledge, sense of humour for that kind of programme.

Far better than those on Soccer Saturday who had become a bit of a joke unto themselves - Merson, Le Tissier, Dowie, McInally, Thompson. It became very dry and tiresome. There's only so much 'joy' you can get out of Merson mispronouncing a foreign name before it becomes casually offensive.

Yes, I did gradually find I was choosing the newer (at the time) BBC Final Score over Soccer Saturday, back when both were on a free channel.

I've got a feeling the BBC must give some of them a nudge on certain etiquette type things.

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

I actually thought Lawrenson gave the best insights though he does make it obvious by gestures or comments that he does not like some aspects of the program.

I like the manner of Dublin and Scott though think Lawrenson gave better football insights

Dan Walker was ok too.. 

It's that part of Lawrenson, when he clearly seems disinterested that I was meaning when I said I was pleased he wasn't there. I think someone somewhere made a fairly smart call leaving him off the opener at least. The frumpy guy with new Alex Scott & Micah Richards probably not a great look to give any of them to work with.

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Never a fan of Lawrenson. He just hung on the coat tails of Alan Hanson, he was the best pundit the BBC had for ages before he called it a day.

Yeah, Hansen was always fascinating to me. The way he'd break down defending, showing how the goals could have been stopped.

There's definitely been something missing from the MOTD tactical analysis since he left.

Being a goal scoring attacking player myself, back in my youth at my very low levels, I know I always looked for the circle of where I thought the ball may well end up, before he was describing defending in a similar way, so always fascinated me hearing his analysis on how to stop the attackers.

Liam Rosenior always speaks sense to me, Neville and Carra are like May and Clarkson it’s funny but they actually waffle a lot of shit if you stand back and look at it.

Also Simon Jordan not in terms of the  pitch but business finance side of the game he’s on the money, yesterday re Harry Kane he’s bang on. I have been told Kane’s brother within the game is a laughing stock

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Liam Rosenior always speaks sense to me, Neville and Carra are like May and Clarkson it’s funny but they actually waffle a lot of shit if you stand back and look at it.

Also Simon Jordan not in terms of the  pitch but business finance side of the game he’s on the money, yesterday re Harry Kane he’s bang on. I have been told Kane’s brother within the game is a laughing stock

Simon Jordan is brilliant - speaks so much sense 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Two old hands that are not on the list are Barry Davis and John Motson and out of the two of them for me would be Barry Davis as he did everything from football to any other sport, brilliant commentator. 

Don't really hear much from Barry Davies these days. 

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't really hear much from Barry Davies these days. 

Think he has retired but in his day he was the best, John Motson was good but would never beat Davies, that guy was good commentating, not just football but tennis, hockey, gynastics etc, and at any Olympic Games events.

Another guy that no one hardly mentions was the ex Arsenal, Scottish player Bob Wilson, from 1974 until 1994 was the host for BBC's Football Focus, he shites all over the likes of Gary 'crisp face' Lineker and clowns. 

4 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah, I've been impressed by him as well but barely ever see him. He should do more. 

He's not glamorous enough is he. Let's have it right Richard's is only there due to his larger than life personality.

Whenever I listen to Higginbotham he breaks everything he's telling you down and it's an extremely interesting listen. 

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

He's not glamorous enough is he. Let's have it right Richard's is only there due to his larger than life personality.

Whenever I listen to Higginbotham he breaks everything he's telling you down and it's an extremely interesting listen. 

Just read, apparently he's working in the US doing some sort of commentating. 

Archived