The better place to talk football.

Your Dream Job

football forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The one I am doing right now.... living the dream me mate, if your dreams all had Freddy Krueger in them that is.. 

does your missus know you call her Freddy Krueger xD 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

And this is true, I used to dream of looking at the sky and seeing moving stars and craft flying around, darting back and forwards in clusters like looking into a kaleidoscope. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ed86eea90d752cd5a4

so an astronomer?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

so an astronomer?

I would love it or even an astronaut, I have been that way since I was a wee nipper, I would stand in the back garden at night time when it was a clear night and just look at the stars and think "I would love to go up there and just float around". 

I would say that I likely have mine right now. I work from home, get paid enough to be comfortable but not loaded, and I get to do what I love. Some things about it aren't ideal, but as long as I keep this up, I'll be able to travel as much as I want, move wherever I want to, and still do what I see as important work. 

10 hours ago, nudge said:

I dream of not having to work. 

I can't understand this personally. I love working, obviously it depends on what you want to do, but even if I won the lottery and was sorted for life, I'd still want to work on what I'm interested in. Life in my eyes is making an impact, not just enjoying it.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Vader said:

I can't understand this personally. I love working, obviously it depends on what you want to do, but even if I won the lottery and was sorted for life, I'd still want to work on what I'm interested in. Life in my eyes is making an impact, not just enjoying it.

Working on what you're interested in is not the same as working in order to support yourself/your family though. Sometimes the two overlap, more often not. I don't mind my job at all (I actually kind of like it) but at the same time it's nothing but a source of income for me. Having a career was never on the top of my priorities list anyway; nor did I ever have a "dream job". I much prefer to maximise the time I have to peruse my own hobbies and interests instead so all I want is to work the minimal time I can to earn the money I need to support myself and enjoy life. Don't really care about making an impact to the world haha.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Working on what you're interested in is not the same as working in order to support yourself/your family though. Sometimes the two overlap, more often not. I don't mind my job at all (I actually kind of like it) but at the same time it's nothing but a source of income for me. Having a career was never on the top of my priorities list anyway; nor did I ever have a "dream job". I much prefer to maximise the time I have to peruse my own hobbies and interests instead so all I want is to work the minimal time I can to earn the money I need to support myself and enjoy life. Don't really care about making an impact to the world haha.

This. I actually quite like my job most of the time - even when I've got to take shitloads of work home in the evenings or when I have to basically give up my weekend to finish things. But the only reason I have this job and the only reason I'm not working back home is because of money.

My goal is to get as much money as quickly as possible so I can put that money to work for me (like buying real estate and investing more), so I can still have an income without actually having to work. And that's the ideal job for me, something that requires minimal effort from me where I still can maintain the lifestyle I've become accustomed too since making money, but where I can actually have the time to pursue my own hobbies and interests that I'm actually passionate about.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't really care about making an impact to the world haha.

Yeah we're all different, but personally for me I think life is about leaving an impact to the world. I often get bored by just doing nothing all the time. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Vader said:

Yeah we're all different, but personally for me I think life is about leaving an impact to the world. I often get bored by just doing nothing all the time. 

You're very young, I think most of us had similar idealistic notions at some point in our youth; I know I did but then priorities often change when you get older (not saying it will happen to you - just that it happens to a lot of people). Work/career is not the only way to leave an impact to the world anyway... Some find the meaning in the work they do, some find it in having family and raising kids, some have a positive impact by volunteering their time and effort to help those in need, some create art; the list is endless and all of those options are perfectly fine.

Oh and doing nothing all the time definitely sucks. But that was kind of my point; there are so many things to see, to do, to learn, to experience and to spend with people I care about that even a hundred of lifetimes wouldn't be enough and working 40+ hours a week robs me of a lot of time in that one limited lifetime I have!

I would verge on saying I love my job, and I definitely think I make an important contribution there.

But at the same time with two young kids at home I think what I could achieve in being at home with them and focusing on educating them and developing them and nurturing their talents. To me that is even more important.

20 hours ago, Eco said:

I would say that I likely have mine right now. I work from home, get paid enough to be comfortable but not loaded, and I get to do what I love. Some things about it aren't ideal, but as long as I keep this up, I'll be able to travel as much as I want, move wherever I want to, and still do what I see as important work. 

I currently work on a building site which must have around 120 people working on there, and others who have come and gone. I started on there last Feb, worked on there until August, left, then went back with a different company on the same building site in October and I've been there since. I now know loads of people on there and already knew a good 25 atleast due to them being local. Due to this there is a lot of social interaction and a great laugh on a daily basis. I've also made some good friends over the years through work from different cities and parts of the country and this wouldn't have been possible had I worked from home, so I wouldn't find this as being a "dream", but more a nightmare personally. In fact, I could see me developing mental health problems if I was to work from home. It would make me seriously depressed I believe. Saying that, it does all depend on the type of job you're doing from home also.

Coming home from work is where you truly appreciate home for what it is I believe. You can come home, kick back, relax and chill out and enjoy it.

18 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I currently work on a building site which must have around 120 people working on there, and others who have come and gone. I started on there last Feb, worked on there until August, left, then went back with a different company on the same building site in October and I've been there since. I now know loads of people on there and already knew a good 25 atleast due to them being local. Due to this there is a lot of social interaction and a great laugh on a daily basis. I've also made some good friends over the years through work from different cities and parts of the country and this wouldn't have been possible had I worked from home, so I wouldn't find this as being a "dream", but more a nightmare personally. In fact, I could see me developing mental health problems if I was to work from home. It would make me seriously depressed I believe. Saying that, it does all depend on the type of job you're doing from home also.

Coming home from work is where you truly appreciate home for what it is I believe. You can come home, kick back, relax and chill out and enjoy it.

I can certainly see that. I'm at home maybe 3-4 days a week, but I have gotten myself into other social groups which help me break free from the Home Office. There are certain times I certainly miss being able to work, meet some new people, and then come home and truly appreciate my house. 

Archived