talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Console Of All Time

football forum

Please only look at game libraries. Nothing like "this console can play DVD's". Power for me doesn't make the console (for the most part)

For me, the PS1. Take the PS4 and sacrifice the graphics but have games of all varieties and not just shooters or sports games. Have shooters, sports games, platformers, JRPG's, racing games,  cartoony and realistic games. I also like the SNES, but it's more dated compared to the PS1.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

This is a tough argument for a lot of reasons. I don't necessarily think that its just about the libraries themselves but more about what the consoles did for their generations. The PS1 is certainly up there as the one that redefined the space with so many great titles and more importantly, it added a new competitor to a market-space that was predominantly Nintendo's for a long time. That said there were other's like the Master System (SEGA) and the one I always look back as the one that defined its own little market-space, the GameBoy. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

This is a tough argument for a lot of reasons. I don't necessarily think that its just about the libraries themselves but more about what the consoles did for their generations. The PS1 is certainly up there as the one that redefined the space with so many great titles and more importantly, it added a new competitor to a market-space that was predominantly Nintendo's for a long time. That said there were other's like the Master System (SEGA) and the one I always look back at the one that defined its own little market-space, the GameBoy. 

The Master System only succeeded in the PAL regions though. The Genesis/MegaDrive was more influential.

What the Gameboy did was impressive. Despite having no light, nor colour and it's competitors did and still kicked their asses says a lot about it.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Vader said:

The Master System only succeeded in the PAL regions though. The Genesis/MegaDrive was more influential.

What the Gameboy did was impressive. Despite having no light, nor colour and it's competitors did and still kicked their asses says a lot about it.

Sorry I meant the MegaDrive/Genesis (their first 16-bit console). Although the Master System was the precursor to what SEGA was going to do to keep Nintendo on its heels. They broke so many gaming norms as a result such as.

• R rated games and the ESRB label which we've come to see on most games
  • They brought the aggressive marketing concept to gaming especially with Sonic's release
  • They created a space which was then capitalized on by Sony and later M$ for product placements, marketing and engagement of a much wider series of gamers as well because now more dev shops came on board and started creating games with the chances of a much higher ROI.

What is odd is that they just went into obscurity post with the Saturn and I think Sony had more to do with that than Nintendo. 

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Sorry I meant the MegaDrive/Genesis (their first 16-bit console). Although the Master System was the precursor to what SEGA was going to do to keep Nintendo on its heels. They broke so many gaming norms as a result such as.

• R rated games and the ESRB label which we've come to see on most games
  • They brought the aggressive marketing concept to gaming especially with Sonic's release
  • They created a space which was then capitalized on by Sony and later M$ for product placements, marketing and engagement of a much wider series of gamers as well because now more dev shops came on board and started creating games with the chances of a much higher ROI.

What is odd is that they just went into obscurity post with the Saturn and I think Sony had more to do with that than Nintendo. 

The Saturn was awful. It was a machine hard to work with and it put many third party developers off. This forced them to create the first 128 bit system (I think) in the Dreamcast which allowed Sony to see through a way to win the console wars.

The power of the PS2 put the nail in the coffin for Sega. Their biggest issue was their stubborness. Sega of Japan had too much faith in the Saturn, and that killed them.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Vader said:

The Saturn was awful. It was a machine hard to work with and it put many third party developers off. This forced them to create the first 128 bit system (I think) in the Dreamcast which allowed Sony to see through a way to win the console wars.

The power of the PS2 put the nail in the coffin for Sega. Their biggest issue was their stubborness. Sega of Japan had too much faith in the Saturn, and that killed them.

It also laid the foundation for something which both M$ and Sony have based so much on with their 3rd party devs. The ability to create good ports of games and use that to continue the revenue stream. At the end of the day its a business and if you can't bring your games over easily it was always going to fail. I don't know if this documentary is still on YouTube but if it is you should go see how ID software made Doom and the challenges they had to go through there. Tack on a closed system like what most consoles used to offer and I can imagine a lot of devs getting upset very fast.

For me, I tend to look at memories and the fun factor. While pretty all the games are dated and the library was small due to the insistence of cartridges, I loved my N64. The likes of Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, WWF No Mercy and Conker's Bad Fur Day were superb at the time, with Rare on fine form indeed. Also gave us the analogue stick that eventually developed part of what we have on pads today. 

Plus Conker's Bad Fur Day had an opera singing shit for a boss, so that always helps. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

SNES. A lot of technological innovations at the time + a huge library of amazing games that survived the test of time and are mostly still very enjoyable today.

I used to have one of these.. still do, but it's up in the loft somewhere now... used to go out and rent the game, transfer it to disc and I had over 150+ games for it.. the only ones they couldn't copy were those ones with the special chips in.. Used to spend hours on the bloody thing.. xD The cartridge slotted in the top and then you put the disc in the side and away you went.. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I used to have one of these.. still do, but it's up in the loft somewhere now... used to go out and rent the game, transfer it to disc and I had over 150+ games for it.. the only ones they couldn't copy were those ones with the special chips in.. Used to spend hours on the bloody thing.. xD The cartridge slotted in the top and then you put the disc in the side and away you went.. 

This reminds me of cheap NES clones we used to get as there were no original NES in the country at that time for quite a while. The clones were made in China or Taiwan and they were just cheap knockoffs so there were quite a few variations of the "brand name" and then you had a whole bootleg market of pirated cartridges (many of those were collections of games aka "100 in 1" and similar) as there were pretty much no intellectual property laws back then xD Good times.

5d0143372baaf.jpg

Dendy_Junior_with_cart_and_joypads.jpg

1 hour ago, nudge said:

This reminds me of cheap NES clones we used to get as there were no original NES in the country at that time for quite a while. The clones were made in China or Taiwan and they were just cheap knockoffs so there were quite a few variations of the "brand name" and then you had a whole bootleg market of pirated cartridges (many of those were collections of games aka "100 in 1" and similar) as there were pretty much no intellectual property laws back then xD Good times.

5d0143372baaf.jpg

Dendy_Junior_with_cart_and_joypads.jpg

Didn't this idea develop into Action 52? :rofl:

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Vader said:

Didn't this idea develop into Action 52:rofl:

Yeah pretty much the same thing, only Action 52 at least had the consent of the copyright owners whereas the multicarts I'm talking about were dodgy straight out pirated copies haha. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah pretty much the same thing, only Action 52 at least had the consent of the copyright owners whereas the multicarts I'm talking about were dodgy straight out pirated copies haha. 

Action 52 was never licensed by Nintendo, so that was a no-go from the start. Although that doesn't exactly mean "illegal" like the copies you are talking about.

I saw a documentary about it on Youtube about how the idea started and it was those illegal copies in Taiwan. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For me, I tend to look at memories and the fun factor. While pretty all the games are dated and the library was small due to the insistence of cartridges, I loved my N64. The likes of Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, WWF No Mercy and Conker's Bad Fur Day were superb at the time, with Rare on fine form indeed. Also gave us the analogue stick that eventually developed part of what we have on pads today. 

Plus Conker's Bad Fur Day had an opera singing shit for a boss, so that always helps. 

This console also gave us one of the most defining games of the video game era in LoZ - Ocarina of Time. It was doing things for the time that totally reshaped how Nintendo was going to position a lot of its franchise characters. Rare were superb during that period as well. I can't count the number of hours I spent with friends playing Goldeneye and laughing at what we'd try to do.

• 3 months later...

Archived