talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Valencia CF Discussion

• 1 month later...

20170427-636288943461531572_201704271255

Quique Setién to be named new Valencia CF head coach

There's been a lot of speculation surrounding ex CD Lugo and present UD Las Palmas coach Quique Setién.  Las Palmas have been trying hard all season to get him to sign a new contract but he's refused with reasons unknown.  The truth is that Setién is one of Spain's most rated coaches coaches although he's been plying his trade for years at Lugo where he done miraculous work considering where they were before he took over all those years ago.  There were even rumours that the technical director for sport at Barça, Robert Fernández had spoken to him about the possibility of being the Blaugrana coach in the future, but that may be at a later date.

So Valencia who desperately need to find an identity once more after years in the wilderness and terrible errors by the present owners of the club since they took over couldn't have done better than sign the Cantabrian who if given the chance, will surely do a great job.  Valencia is a bit of a poisoned chalice because of their fan base that traditionally doesn't give their coaches all that much time to reproduce something.  He'll probably be given one season by the fans where he'll have to either be close or qualify for the Champions League next season (yep, that's the massive jump they'll expect but it doesn't end there) and from there onwards only competing to win La Liga and the Champions League will do.  That's the issue with coaching this massive club...  The pressure from their strange set of fans and not so much anything else.

It hasn't been confirmed that Quique Setién will be the coach at Valencia CF next season but it's looking very very likely indeed.

Dan por hecho el fichaje de Setién

Edited by SirBalon

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I've got a flat practically 40 metres away from where the new stadium was started.  It's actually a very modern and well to do part of the city of Valencia and that half built stadium ruins it all.

Mate, what happened to the stadium?

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mate, what happened to the stadium?

The president that started to build it, Juan Bautista Soler (the man who destroyed Valencia financially) ran out of money or better said, when he contracted the building of the stadium he forgot to tell everyone that he'd spent all the club's money on stupid things.  When the contractors asked for the first payment they were told the club was still waiting to sell the land where the present Mestalla is.  The problem was that at that point the "unlucky president of Valencia was party to the world economic crisis and nobody would touch such expensive land in a city that isn't exactly cheap to buy land in.

It's a long complicated story but that's the basis of it.

This is what the new stadium was going to look like and the new owner Peter Lim said he was gong to finish it but the fans are still waiting for that promise to be made.

nuevomestalla2221_0.jpg

Edited by SirBalon

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It looks like they are also signing Kondogbia and Murillo from Inter Milan.

wow kondgobia? he was good when in monaco and I was so wishing wenger would sign him at arsenal but he went to inter milan and I never watched him play for them. i dont even understand why wenger didnt go for him back then and why he isnt going for him now. 

16 minutes ago, Asura said:

wow kondgobia? he was good when in monaco and I was so wishing wenger would sign him at arsenal but he went to inter milan and I never watched him play for them. i dont even understand why wenger didnt go for him back then and why he isnt going for him now. 

He was brilliant for Sevilla as well. It looks like he's going to Valencia. He has wanted to go there all summer(according to Marca) and it looks like it's happening, as his agent is in Valencia now.

Valencia have made some good signings in this in window to be honest and have promoted young players from their youth.

Carlos Soler is a very interesting player to look out for and the 20 year old looks like he could potentially have a big future.

They seem to be buying young players and players who will actually improve them as a team, while also promoting from within and with Marcelino now as manager, we may see a rejuvenated Valencia this season, after an awful campaign last year.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Soler looks the business... It'll be interesting to see if Real Madrid keep their recent philosophy going and snap him up in time. As for Kondogbia... He's arrived at a price and that price is losing João Cancelo to Inter. 

Interesting to see if Soler continues on the right wing, needs to be played more centrally for me but we know Marcelino likes 4-4-2.

Cancelo has bags of potential but you only have to watch his performance last night to see where his problems lie, his decision making and final ball is awful.

15033993426866.jpg

Zaza sings with the Valencia faithful while playing

This isn't news but it is quite a humorous detail that you don't get to see all that much (I've never witnessed it I must admit) and while Valencia were playing against UD Las Palmas, Simone Zaza was caught on camera chanting a song the Valencia faithful sing during every game. xD

20 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Dare I say it, Valencia heading in the right direction?

God knows mate!  They've had brilliant spells in every season since Peter Lim bought the club.  Infact they had a whole season where they were brilliant in that period where Nuno Espiritu Santo was the head coach and was sacked two games into the new season the following year (after he got them into the Champions League).

They seem to have a self-destruct mode in Valencia (historically) and these days someone seems to keep on pressing that button willy-nilly.

Kondogbia has been a great signing for them though and the young Soler is something that gives the Valencianistas something to hope and look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
21 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

https://en.valenciacf.com/ver/74635/a-renewed-project-for-the-new-stadium-with-the-fans-at-the-heart-of-the-priorities.htmlS

Seems Valencia is looking to finally finish what they started almost a decade ago now.

Yeah, I read about this the other day!  I own an apartment two roads away from where the new stadium was being built and then stopped.  It's in a new part of Valencia and very modern!  It's great that they're gonna finally continue with the project because Valencia CF need their new stadium as not too much can be done with Mestalla.  But it's also sad that they've changed the original project of the new stadium because the original one was a real beauty and state of the art...  Obviously the design of the original was very expensive and that's why they've changed the plans.  Still looks decent if it ends up like in the images.

• 2 weeks later...

1508329468171.jpg

Curva Nord leader resigns

What's this?

Some of you may be aware of the ultras in European football and all of you know about the more vocal ends of local stadiums wherever you come from like The Kop at Anfield, North Bank Away End at The Emirates, Stratford End at Old Trafford etc... etc...

In Spain those vocal stadium sectors tend to be combined with your more radical fanbase and although it's been cleaned up in recent years like when Joan Laporta initiated this in his FC Barcelona presidency tenure by throwing out the Boixos Nois from the Camp Nou or more recently Florentino Pérez neutering the Ultra Sur from the Santiago Bernabéu, it's true that some stadia like the Mestalla in Valencia still have violent aggressive elements controlling proceedings in the more vocal parts of the fanbase.

The Curva Nord literally means the "North Corner" of the stadium which is where the main sector of chanting resides.  Their 'Ultras' are called "Los Yomus" and even though the vocal end doesn't necessarily have to be part of the 'Ultras', many elements do become members.  These vocal ends tend to have a committee and a president (not including the Ultras) and they shouldn't have to belong to the 'Ultras', but in some cases they are like in this one with the president of the Curva Nord, Javier Cervera.  He's been accused of being involved in an aggression a few weeks back which included elements of their 'Ultras', Los Yomus.  So he's handed in his resignation as he's been accused of belonging to ultra right-wing groups that have been attacking their opposite ideological representatives.

All very complicated, yes, but remember that in Spain the committees and president lease formally with the directors at each respective football club.  This is a big problem because these sectors are traditionally the ones that travel with the clubs.  That tweet is the official letter of resignation of Javier Cervera, president of the Curva Nord.

• 2 weeks later...

Valencia look brilliant this season. Still undefeated and most of those games have been wins.

No European football can also only benefit them and I wouldn't be surprised if they strengthened further in January.

What a cracking job Marcelino is doing, although you wouldn't expect any less. It's all about him not losing it again like he did at Villarreal as he's a quality manager who can do positive things for Valencia.

On 29/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, The Rebel CRS said:

Valencia look brilliant this season. Still undefeated and most of those games have been wins.

No European football can also only benefit them and I wouldn't be surprised if they strengthened further in January.

What a cracking job Marcelino is doing, although you wouldn't expect any less. It's all about him not losing it again like he did at Villarreal as he's a quality manager who can do positive things for Valencia.

Yeah, the issue here is when will Marcelino break down for some unknown reason and he either ends up being sacked for something he says or just resigns. He’s done this everywhere he’s been and at every club he’s been part of something special as a coach before he goes mental. It’s the reason he hasn’t coached one of the big two because in the past he’s been connected with both.

But for now Valencia should enjoy all the positives Marcelino brings for a limited time and if he can make it last at least 3 seasons before he blows a gasket, we could see something spectacular. 

I might stick a tenner on them winning the league. I don't think they will go that far, but if they actually did, that would be a nice payout. If they don't win it, you only lose a tenner, which is nothing. I dropped 20 quid the

All Valencia need is stability. They always have good players, they are producing top ones and now have an owner who can spend a bit when they need it. Employing a different manager every 2 months is not the way forward.

Atletico had the very same problems before Simeone went in there and look at them now.

9 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Goncalo Guedes looks like the real deal. Wonder what will happen him at the end of the season. Valencia doesnt have a buy option but the last thing he should do is go back to PSG, as i dont see them giving him a proper chance. 

In an interview on a Spanish radio station the other day he said he doesn't want to go back to PSG and would opt for staying at Valencia.  He said he's settled in and that the lifestyle is more in tune with what he wants in Spain.  But he also added that it's not his decision and that he has a career to look out for.  Not only is he young and seems very talented, he also has his head screwed on right.