talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which Big Side Will Miss Out On The World Cup?

football forum

Every year there is always 1 or 2 teams that have importance in the region or competition. Who will it be this time?

North America: Only USA and Mexico really qualify here. I can't see in any way Mexico misses out, so USA is the most likely option. It's possible unless they get their shit together.

Asia: Australia is the most likely. South Korea has been kind of bad lately though, and Iran can't seem to find a good successor to Quieroz. Japan is the only shoe in for me.

South America: Brazil is a shoe in. Argentina has a chance of missing out. They are the "big" favourites to miss the world cup here. Uruguay will make it I'm fairly sure.

Africa: Any of the big teams can miss out as seen in the past. This one is very unpredictable. I reckon Egypt and Senegal are the current big dogs.

Europe: Germany is the talking point, though I think they will make it. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I hope you mean Brazil is a shoe-in to qualify and not a shoe-in to miss out xD

Why would Germany miss out? Also how can you tell without the qualifying groups being decided?

Just now, Stan said:

I hope you mean Brazil is a shoe-in to qualify and not a shoe-in to miss out xD

Why would Germany miss out? Also how can you tell without the qualifying groups being decided?

Yeah, I meant Brazil is a shoe in to qualify.

Germany can only miss out if they get another top dog in their group. Same situation as Italy. They are struggling and they could run into the same situation as Italy. I still think they will find a way to qualify but of all the best teams in Europe, I think they are the most likely to miss out.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vader said:

Yeah, I meant Brazil is a shoe in to qualify.

Germany can only miss out if they get another top dog in their group. Same situation as Italy. They are struggling and they could run into the same situation as Italy. I still think they will find a way to qualify but of all the best teams in Europe, I think they are the most likely to miss out.

Even if they get another 'top dog' though, they may finish 2nd at worse and could still qualify through play-offs??

Basically Germany aren't missing out on the World Cup.

All based on guesswork and no logic.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Even if they get another 'top dog' though, they may finish 2nd at worse and could still qualify through play-offs??

Basically Germany aren't missing out on the World Cup.

All based on guesswork and no logic.

Yeah, they could realistically.

So could Italy and they lost. Let's not pretend second place in other groups are mugs. In the last qualifiers, there was Denmark, Sweden, Ireland, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Northern Ireland and Switzerland. 

Out of those, the only shoe ins for Germany are the Ireland's and Greece. 

This isn't guesswork or logic-based. All I said was they are the most likely of the big teams to miss out due to their recent form, but also said I still think they'll find a way. I just don't see them being better than England, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, and now as of late, Italy.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Depends how you define big. But Iran are big in Asia and I think they're qualification is in huge risk because of that moron Wilmots. Hopefully his successor can salvage their qualification campaign.

To be honest, it would be refreshing to see a new Asian side in the World Cup. Saudi Arabia was a nice change in pace but they still had their 4 top dogs qualify.

Thailand could be cool. Especially if Suphanat Mueanta is apart of the setup by then. @nudge

On 13/01/2020 at 23:39, Vader said:

To be honest, it would be refreshing to see a new Asian side in the World Cup. Saudi Arabia was a nice change in pace but they still had their 4 top dogs qualify.

Thailand could be cool. Especially if Suphanat Mueanta is apart of the setup by then. @nudge

Tbh I think it's pretty shit, especially for the people in Iran who struggle a lot compared to even some of their neighbors in the region but always get elated when their side is at the world cup.

Instead of opening a new thread, every time there is a debutante at the WC last time it was Panama.

This time around i think it will be the likes of Burkina Faso, Jordan, Syria qualify for the first time can't see any new team coming from any other confederation.

16 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Instead of opening a new thread, every time there is a debutante at the WC last time it was Panama.

This time around i think it will be the likes of Burkina Faso, Jordan, Syria qualify for the first time can't see any new team coming from any other confederation.

Venezuela have a chance. I don't think they will make it, but with a good manager they can become what Peru have become. They have the talent.

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Venezuela have a chance. I don't think they will make it, but with a good manager they can become what Peru have become. They have the talent.

Did thought about them but South American qualifier format is tough, Africa will again have the playoffs round this time to decide the final places so i can see the likes of Burkina Faso managing a tight pass into the finals. 

If Iran goes out in the first round which is not too impossible that place will be up there for either Jordan, Syria or Iraq. Thailand is good but them qualifying will be a real surprise !

On 18/01/2020 at 10:50, Azeem said:

Did thought about them but South American qualifier format is tough, Africa will again have the playoffs round this time to decide the final places so i can see the likes of Burkina Faso managing a tight pass into the finals. 

If Iran goes out in the first round which is not too impossible that place will be up there for either Jordan, Syria or Iraq. Thailand is good but them qualifying will be a real surprise !

My bets for a possible debutant: Jordan, Syria, Venezuela, Guinea, Montenegro.

6 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Can't help but think there will be some fix-up with the UEFA Nations League to make it almost impossible for the 'top' European sides to miss out on a World Cup.

I can see that thanks to Italy missing out. CONCACAF's new format of teams qualifying directly to the hex is so USA and Mexico never miss out. It's ironic because USA got knocked out in the hex last time.

• 7 months later...
On 20/01/2020 at 15:47, Mpache said:

I can see that thanks to Italy missing out. CONCACAF's new format of teams qualifying directly to the hex is so USA and Mexico never miss out. It's ironic because USA got knocked out in the hex last time.

I am hoping that the ascension of Alphonso Davies puts Canada over and qualifying in USA’s place 

2 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

I am hoping that the ascension of Alphonso Davies puts Canada over and qualifying in USA’s place 

Davies is certainly fantastic, but Canada will need more than him if they want to overtake the States...especially if Pulisic is able to remain healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Davies is certainly fantastic, but Canada will need more than him if they want to overtake the States...especially if Pulisic is able to remain healthy. 

True. Perhaps over panama or Honduras then?
would be nice to nice Canada and Davies on the international level once more

Just now, The Käiser said:

Totally agree. Would love to see Canada rise and start to join USA in trying to overtake Mexico.

5 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Canada has 2 players with potential to be world class. USA only has 1.

I still think USA is better as they proved that last November (was it). However the mentality that it's just Davies and 10 more chumps is not true at all. Canada as a whole is much better than it was 8 years ago. My whole life Canada has been at Estonia's level, now they are actually competitive.

7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Canada has 2 players with potential to be world class. USA only has 1.

I still think USA is better as they proved that last November (was it). However the mentality that it's just Davies and 10 more chumps is not true at all. Canada as a whole is much better than it was 8 years ago. My whole life Canada has been at Estonia's level, now they are actually competitive.

Yet no one said that.....

Archived