talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which Big Side Will Miss Out On The World Cup?

football forum

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eco said:

Yet no one said that.....

Well Canada's quality is only a little less than USA's fringe players.

Players like Osorio and Estauquio aren't much worse than Roldan or Zardes.

Davies is the highest quality player of the 2 teams, with Pulisic following and David not far behind.

Compare that to 8 years ago where Canada were Estonia at best. I'm actually shocked they've become OK as fast as they did. Collectively though the team still needs work.

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Well Canada's quality is only a little less than USA's fringe players.

Players like Osorio and Estauquio aren't much worse than Roldan or Zardes.

Davies is the highest quality player of the 2 teams, with Pulisic following and David not far behind.

Compare that to 8 years ago where Canada were Estonia at best. I'm actually shocked they've become OK as fast as they did. Collectively though the team still needs work.

Canada is not near USA's level on a whole. 

When healthy, I think Davies and Pulisic's impact is a wash. However, with Davies, Canada's level drops dramatically, whereas the States have more talent in other positions which can lift the team up. And there are a lot of young Americans who are coming up and showing great talent, so I'm not sure how close the two countries will get to becoming even. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Why the fuck are people talking about the USA and Canada in this thread? The second word in the topic title excludes them.

I mean, Canada isn't but USA aren't a team that should be missing out on any World Cup these days.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Why the fuck are people talking about the USA and Canada in this thread? The second word in the topic title excludes them.

Like it or not, USA has shown signs of being able to compete with the more well known sides, and has done well at World Cups. 

Just now, Eco said:

Canada is not near USA's level on a whole. 

When healthy, I think Davies and Pulisic's impact is a wash. However, with Davies, Canada's level drops dramatically, whereas the States have more talent in other positions which can lift the team up. And there are a lot of young Americans who are coming up and showing great talent, so I'm not sure how close the two countries will get to becoming even. 

Except you're forgetting David, the best player in the Belgian league the last 2 years, who is 20 and has the potential to become better than Donovan.

I agree that more American's are upcoming but I can't see any of them become as good as either Davies or David. Maybe Reyna though, he's very promising.

I mean, Canada isn't but USA aren't a team that should be missing out on any World Cup these days.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Like it or not, USA has shown signs of being able to compete with the more well known sides, and has done well at World Cups. 

It isn't a question of liking it or not or generational quality, USA aren't a 'big' side. Australia had a fantastic team in 2006 but aren't a 'big side' or whatever you want to call it. When I think of prestigious national teams I think of Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Uruguay, not bloody USA, Canada, and Australia. USA is baseball and gridiron, Canada is hockey and curling, Australia is cricket and rugby; it doesn't really matter if they occasionally have great players, because it is a culturally irrelevant sport.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Except you're forgetting David, the best player in the Belgian league the last 2 years, who is 20 and has the potential to become better than Donovan.

I agree that more American's are upcoming but I can't see any of them become as good as either Davies or David. Maybe Reyna though, he's very promising.

Reyna (Dortmund)
Richards (Bayern)
Gloster (PSV)
Ledezma (PSV)
Mendez (Ajax)
and Lanez (Wolfsburg)

All played in the 2019 U-20 World Cup team that the States did quite well at. 

The USA and Mexico are the two "big" sides in CONCACAF to be fair. Canada's getting a mention because they're getting better at football.

In Asia, I think Iran's a "big" team likely to be missing out - I don't know if they can recover from the Wilmots debacle. Other big Asian sides seem to have managed expectation pretty well. Props to Syria  for their results... all things considered with what's been going on in their country.

For Europe, I can't really say... have qualifiers even started?

Just now, Spike said:

It isn't a question of liking it or not or generational quality, USA aren't a 'big' side. Australia had a fantastic team in 2006 but aren't a 'big side' or whatever you want to call it. When I think of prestigious national teams I think of Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Uruguay, not bloody USA, Canada, and Australia. USA is baseball and gridiron, Canada is hockey and curling, Australia is cricket and rugby; it doesn't really matter if they occasionally have great players, because it is a culturally irrelevant sport.

Yes we know, but USA with their population and soccer program being leagues above almost everyone in North America, shouldn't be missing out on any World Cup.

We're not just talking about your Italy's or your Brazil's here.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Reyna (Dortmund)
Richards (Bayern)
Gloster (PSV)
Ledezma (PSV)
Mendez (Ajax)
and Lanez (Wolfsburg)

All played in the 2019 U-20 World Cup team that the States did quite well at. 

I'm behind on the USA players in Europe to be honest. I am a fan of Reyna though and I think he will break through at Dortmund and become as good as Pulisic if not better. We'll just have to wait and see.

As of today Canada is a lot closer to the USA than you might think but I'm still giving the edge to the USA thanks to that 4-1 win.

I'd class Australia as a big Asian side. Maybe not a big side when you consider all the teams in the world... because then you're comparing them to the European and South American sides that are packed with some of the world's top players. But definitely a big side with the mix of sides they're fighting for World Cup qualification with - one of the biggest ones.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Yes we know, but USA with their population and soccer program being leagues above almost everyone in North America, shouldn't be missing out on any World Cup.

We're not just talking about your Italy's or your Brazil's here. 

Playing against fishermen and dentists from Aruba and qualifying doesn't make the USA a 'big team'. They qualify by default.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The USA and Mexico are the two "big" sides in CONCACAF to be fair. Canada's getting a mention because they're getting better at football.

Nah Canada has nothing to do in this thread until they show that they should be consistently qualifying for World Cups. Only reason we've mentioned them was because of a discussion The Kaiser started. Threads can go off topic sometimes :P

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In Asia, I think Iran's a "big" team likely to be missing out - I don't know if they can recover from the Wilmots debacle. Other big Asian sides seem to have managed expectation pretty well. Props to Syria  for their results... all things considered with what's been going on in their country.

For Europe, I can't really say... have qualifiers even started?

Nope. Nations League will happen this season and then World Cup qualifiers start from March.

Just now, Spike said:

Playing against fishermen and dentists from Aruba and qualifying doesn't make the USA a 'big team'. They qualify by default.

Nobody, I quote nobody said USA is a big side. I don't even think you'll find that on social media. However, they need to be qualifying for the World Cup. Anything less than that is a failure.

Just now, Stan said:

Nope. Nations League will happen this season and then World Cup qualifiers start from March.

Yeah so I'll hold off on predicting who won't qualify in Europe out of the "big" European sides. Otherwise it's more of a blind Stan in the dark, I'd rather make an "educated" guess after seeing a bit more of what's happened.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd class Australia as a big Asian side. Maybe not a big side when you consider all the teams in the world... because then you're comparing them to the European and South American sides that are packed with some of the world's top players. But definitely a big side with the mix of sides they're fighting for World Cup qualification with - one of the biggest ones.

If you were talking about cricket, I'd agree with you but we aren't and the Socceroos are beyond mediocre and the only reason Australia ever puts on a somewhat decent show at a WC is because of a cultural underdog identity and a burning desire to upstage, it'd look like 11 Messis on the field if Australia was playing England, they'd still lose though. Don't be surprised if Australia don't qualify.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Nobody, I quote nobody said USA is a big side. I don't even think you'll find that on social media. However, they need to be qualifying for the World Cup. Anything less than that is a failure.

Just now, Spike said:

Who cares what the title says. I messed up in the making. I cba to backtrack my steps and fault my wording. USA are a big side in CONCACAF and should be qualifying for every World Cup. That is probably the most common opinion you'll ever find in football.

• Administrator
On 13/01/2020 at 21:34, Mpache said:

Every year there is always 1 or 2 teams that have importance in the region or competition. Who will it be this time?

North America: Only USA and Mexico really qualify here. I can't see in any way Mexico misses out, so USA is the most likely option. It's possible unless they get their shit together.

Asia: Australia is the most likely. South Korea has been kind of bad lately though, and Iran can't seem to find a good successor to Quieroz. Japan is the only shoe in for me.

South America: Brazil is a shoe in. Argentina has a chance of missing out. They are the "big" favourites to miss the world cup here. Uruguay will make it I'm fairly sure.

Africa: Any of the big teams can miss out as seen in the past. This one is very unpredictable. I reckon Egypt and Senegal are the current big dogs.

Europe: Germany is the talking point, though I think they will make it. 

Brian, you started the thread and the first nation you mention was USA. The fact you said 'which big side will miss out on the World Cup' and then go on to say 'USA...qualify here...USA is the most likely option' pretty much says to me you think USA are a big side :what:

So maybe nobody, but yourself...

1 minute ago, Spike said:

If you were talking about cricket, I'd agree with you but we aren't and the Socceroos are beyond mediocre and the only reason Australia ever puts on a somewhat decent show at a WC is because of a cultural underdog identity and a burning desire to upstage, it'd look like 11 Messis on the field if Australia was playing England, they'd still lose though. Don't be surprised if Australia don't qualify.

Asia's got a ton of "minnows" - a "mediocre" national team by European or South American standards is at least a pretty decent international side in Asia. You can only really beat what's in front of you and nobody chooses where their country is geographically located on the planet.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Asia's got a ton of "minnows" - a "mediocre" national team by European or South American standards is at least a pretty decent international side in Asia. You can only really beat what's in front of you and nobody chooses where their country is geographically located on the planet.

How ironic when we are talking about Australia

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

How ironic when we are talking about Australia

I imagine even if we didn't start a penal colony, there'd be a national team nowadays of the natives. But also... I don't know if those colonists had much of a say on where their children were born either... so technically still a true statement xD

Archived