talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which Big Side Will Miss Out On The World Cup?

football forum

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I imagine even if we didn't start a penal colony, there'd be a national team nowadays of the natives. But also... I don't know if those colonists had much of a say on where their children were born either... so technically still a true statement xD

You missed my point. Australia isn't in Asia, it's in Oceania and switched confederations from Ocean to Asia only about fifteen years ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

You missed my point. Australia isn't in Asia, it's in Oceania and switched confederations from Ocean to Asia only about fifteen years ago.

Oh yeah, I remember that happening and thinking it was strange. I sort of understand why Australia made the switch... even if it does seem weird.

There's also Israel who aren't in Europe playing in Europe. But that's pretty understandable, imagine how bad it would kick off if the Israeli side was playing an Arab side. Or the Palestine side.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh yeah, I remember that happening and thinking it was strange. I sort of understand why Australia made the switch... even if it does seem weird.

There's also Israel who aren't in Europe playing in Europe. But that's pretty understandable, imagine how bad it would kick off if the Israeli side was playing an Arab side. Or the Palestine side.

And Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, and England aren't countries but have their own FAs and NTs or how many of the French oversea territories are allowed to play for France, there are a lot of oddities in FIFA national team statuses.

35 minutes ago, Spike said:

Why the fuck are people talking about the USA and Canada in this thread? The second word in the topic title excludes them.

im glad you asked!!  Because in concacaf USA is a big team. They missed last edition.  Perhaps again next time? If so who is contending to replace them. 

1 minute ago, The Käiser said:

im glad you asked!!  Because in concacaf USA is a big team. They missed last edition.  Perhaps again next time? If so who is contending to replace them. 

Trinidad and Tobago

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Spike said:

I've always found this weird considering you're essentially going to give up a slot in Asia to accommodate a team from Oceania for it. Having said that I think Australia makes the Asian qualifiers better on the whole really. The real reason behind it is stupid but I suppose if you had to pick between being a part of the AFC vs playing the lottery to face a team in CONMEBOL/CONCACAF to get to a WC you'd pick being part of the AFC every single time to increase the likelihood of success. 

In Asia I'm expecting an open qualifying this time around.  Iran won't even reach the second round, Australia might crash out later. These spots will be up for grabs between the likes of Bahrain, Uzbekistan, Syria, N Korea, Jordan and maybe Thailand or Vietnam.

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

In Asia I'm expecting an open qualifying this time around.  Iran won't even reach the second round, Australia might crash out later. These spots will be up for grabs between the likes of Bahrain, Uzbekistan, Syria, N Korea, Jordan and maybe Thailand or Vietnam.

I'd love Thailand to make it. Songkrasin and Muenta need to play a World Cup.

• Administrator

Yeah I quite like when Japan play. Not always the greatest to watch but they seem like a side that will give 100% effort right until the end and they've had some decent players over the years. 

On 01/09/2020 at 00:04, Mel81x said:

I've always found this weird considering you're essentially going to give up a slot in Asia to accommodate a team from Oceania for it. Having said that I think Australia makes the Asian qualifiers better on the whole really. The real reason behind it is stupid but I suppose if you had to pick between being a part of the AFC vs playing the lottery to face a team in CONMEBOL/CONCACAF to get to a WC you'd pick being part of the AFC every single time to increase the likelihood of success. 

Well, yes and no. Oceania is a far easier confederation to win but it's much harder to qualify from, whereas Asia is a much more competitive confederation but easier to qualify from. Australia may qualify for World Cups more often but the games played are much more difficult and a far cry from beating American Samoa 31-0.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Well, yes and no. Oceania is a far easier confederation to win but it's much harder to qualify from, whereas Asia is a much more competitive confederation but easier to qualify from. Australia may qualify for World Cups more often but the games played are much more difficult and a far cry from beating American Samoa 31-0.

Oh I agree I am just saying that once your Oceania competition is done you have to play a CONMEBOL or CONCACAF or AFC team to get to the actual WC spot or has that changed? I thought it hadn't and that is why they went with the AFC vs that route.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13/01/2020 at 21:49, Stan said:

I hope you mean Brazil is a shoe-in to qualify and not a shoe-in to miss out xD

Why would Germany miss out? Also how can you tell without the qualifying groups being decided?

Well this didn't age well. Germany become the first team from europe to qualify 😂

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well this didn't age well. Germany become the first team from europe to qualify 😂

It was Brian's comment that didn't age well, not mine. 

Croatia's draw against Slovakia puts them into second behind Russia. That would certainly be a surprise if they didn't qualify seeing as how they were runners up in the previous WC. 

Honestly, I think it's be surprising if Russia nor Croatia were able to qualify. 

Looking at the standings, there really aren't too many surprises in the European sector. 

Here in CONCACAF, it'll be a surprise if the 3 spots don't go to Mexico, USA, and Canada, but currently Panama is playing well. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Croatia's draw against Slovakia puts them into second behind Russia. That would certainly be a surprise if they didn't qualify seeing as how they were runners up in the previous WC. 

Honestly, I think it's be surprising if Russia nor Croatia were able to qualify. 

Looking at the standings, there really aren't too many surprises in the European sector. 

Here in CONCACAF, it'll be a surprise if the 3 spots don't go to Mexico, USA, and Canada, but currently Panama is playing well. 

Incredibly croatia and Spain could both be in the playoffs 

I think there's a lot in that Asia bit that didn't age that well either.

South Korea and Iran look the 2 most comfortable in their group and the most likely to outright qualify. While Iran's initial replacement to Quieroz was an absolute disaster, Skocic's been a good appointment for Iran, with 11 matches under his reign & 10 wins 1 draw (which was today against South Korea).

Meanwhile I think no real sides have proven to be shoe-ins... other than Iran and South Korea (only two points separate Iran from South Korea... and then the rest of the group is at 2 points, other than Syria with just 1). Australia are level on points with Saudi Arabia. Japan actually had 2 shock losses to Oman and Saudi Arabia (although the Saudis aren't bad at football tbh). 

Archived