talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Biggest Collapse in English Football History?

Was thinking about this earlier today when I saw that Liverpool set the record for the most points ever in the Top 5 Leagues in terms of points earned in first 21 matches. 

With a game in hand currently over 2nd place Manchester City, they are already 14 points on top. So my question is, if this Liverpool team doesn't win the league, will it go down as the biggest collapse in English Football History?  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City found form that is for sure, won nine in ten losing only to Wolves. Think even tough the point difference could be even 17 points City can easily win most of the remaining games. However i just don't see how Liverpool can lose 5-6 games until the end of the season. The season is not done until it's done, and the title is not won until it is official i am certain that both Klopp and Pep know that.

3 hours ago, Eco said:

Was thinking about this earlier today when I saw that Liverpool set the record for the most points ever in the Top 5 Leagues in terms of points earned in first 21 matches. 

With a game in hand currently over 2nd place Manchester City, they are already 14 points on top. So my question is, if this Liverpool team doesn't win the league, will it go down as the biggest collapse in English Football History?  

Possibly yes but it depends on the manner in which it happened. Certainly people would proclaim it to be the biggest. Last year we dropped a 7 point lead over half a season but it happened in January and we finished the season winning 10 straight games so it wasn't seen as a collapse at all. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

We came back from being 13pts behind at this stage to beat United  ..anything can happen yet

Premier League highlight reel that was. Aguero running around like a man possessed. 

• Subscriber

I don't think Klopp is another Keegan when he was manager of Newcastle and on top and had a rant about Fergie & United, we all know what happened next, I still say Liverpool will lose a match sooner or later but it won't stop them winning the league...I think? O.o

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah probably

Look at this way its a win-win situation. We win the league we drink, we don't win the league we drink. The outcomes are different of course but the vehicle getting us there is the same.

9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Look at this way its a win-win situation. We win the league we drink, we don't win the league we drink. The outcomes are different of course but the vehicle getting us there is the same.

Happy drinking is always much better than sad drinking though

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Got Manchester United next, a team they've always not done too well against, even when they dominated the the 1980s and then Wolves away. Two losses could trigger a bit of a confidence crisis but even then it's hard to see them not winning it.

I think losing the odd game in Europe over the last couple of years will help with any set back when we eventually lose a game. Responded pretty well to losing at Man City last year too. 

• Subscriber

I agree you've reacted very well but this is a bit different altogether I think. Still though it's massively clutching at straws to think this will be anything but your title. Nobody has a clue how to stop you.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Dan said:

I agree you've reacted very well but this is a bit different altogether I think. Still though it's massively clutching at straws to think this will be anything but your title. Nobody has a clue how to stop you.

Napoli does. I don't know what it is about that team that made us lose but if you're any other team you're looking at that and trying to figure out what happened in those games.

12 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

We came back from being 13pts behind at this stage to beat United  ..anything can happen yet

You were never 13 points behind utd that season

Archived