talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

football forum

Here's a start. Bethesda even at their peak were overrated money grubbing bullshit artists. In the time since the year 2000 they have delivered a handful of good titles (doom, fallout 3, Morrowind, pirates of the Caribbean) a similar number of very mediocre or lazier games and a bunch of shit. Vapid empty worlds aren't worth exploring and no choices get made in their RPGs. Skyrim is one of the most disappointing shallow gaming experiences I've ever had.  

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how popular this one is, but here goes. Modern mainstream gaming is garbage. Everything is about shooters now and there is little variety. Too much microtransactions that came along with technology and kids think they can call themselves "gamers" by only playing GTA or Call of Duty. Indie games while they try to make up for the lack of variety are simply too low budget to live up to older titles.

A few more

As much as I love my Switch, it's made me come to the realization that Nintendo's universe is dead. The only one who seems to survive these days are Pokemon, Zelda and Mario. Add that along with the lack of new franchises. Luckily, the 3 mentioned earlier have very strong and enjoyable releases, but it won't last forever.

Sonic 3D games fail because the Sonic formula is not meant for 3D games. Very automated experiences as opposed to the 2D games that were more about skill and control.

Football Manager has added necessary features over the years, resulting in a more risk and reward gameplay experience. The match engine is still pretty bad, but it's not horrible enough to ruin the whole game for me.

Dragonball Z Raging Blast 2 was better than Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

ET on the Atari 2600 is far from the worst game ever made. It is functional and can only do so much for the system it was on. The fact it caused the video game crash was down to people's high expectations and naivety of the new industry. Far worse games were made in the 1980's alone.

On 14/01/2020 at 02:56, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here's a start. Bethesda even at their peak were overrated money grubbing bullshit artists. In the time since the year 2000 they have delivered a handful of good titles (doom, fallout 3, Morrowind, pirates of the Caribbean) a similar number of very mediocre or lazier games and a bunch of shit. Vapid empty worlds aren't worth exploring and no choices get made in their RPGs. Skyrim is one of the most disappointing shallow gaming experiences I've ever had.  

Fallout 4 was incredibly disappointing because they Skyrim'd the shit out of the Fallout series. Really disappointing considering how New Vegas (which Bethesda didn't develop, just published) was so well received for everything other than it being a buggy mess (in part because Bethesda forced Obsidian to release it earlier) - although to Bethesda's credit the FO:4 - Far Harbour DLC is really good and more akin to what people wanted from Fallout 4 in the first place.

And don't get me started on the abomination that is FO:76.

Having said that - I'm not so sure that's an unpopular opinion.

On 14/01/2020 at 03:09, Vader said:

As much as I love my Switch, it's made me come to the realization that Nintendo's universe is dead. The only one who seems to survive these days are Pokemon, Zelda and Mario. Add that along with the lack of new franchises. Luckily, the 3 mentioned earlier have very strong and enjoyable releases, but it won't last forever.

I think you can say the same about most franchises on all the big consoles. PS4 has the most "unique" exclusives - although that Spiderman one was just them paying for exclusivity; other than that what do people really love about PS4 exclusives... Uncharted and God of War. With the Xbox you've got Halo & Gears of War (although there's also more obscure Microsoft exclusives, that I think are underrated). It's the same with Nintendo - the big long lasting franchises generate the most excitement.

At least with the Mario franchises, you get a pretty wide diversity of what to play. There's traditional Mario. There's Mario party. There's Mario Kart. They've also got Super Smash Bros... which will always be popular as the most easily accessible fighting game.

Here's some of my opinions:

1. I don't care how popular GTA:O or RD2:O are - these versions of the game are totally shite compared to the single player experiences of those games and only exist because people are impressed with the incredible worlds they make and will spend money on shit like Bull Shark Bucks or whatever. The watered down versions of missions you'd get from those single player games are so fucking boring and it takes about 20 years to get into a server because of how long the fucking load screens are.
  2. Last of Us is boring. It's stealth components are boring, the story was interesting for a bit but then got boring... it's just a boring game that looks very pretty.
  3. Those Uncharted games are boring Tomb Raider clones and the Tomb Raider reboots make for better games in the exact same style and genre.
  4. Open world games don't necessarily mean they'll be good and interesting games & a game being "linear" doesn't necessarily make it a bad game
  5. Heavy Rain only got praise because at the time it looked pretty - but it's not really a game, it's more of just watching cutscenes and occasionally getting prompted to push a certain button or mashing a certain button.
  6. By the same token, David Cage (the guy who came up with Heavy Rain) should stop making games because all of his games are total shite.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you can say the same about most franchises on all the big consoles. PS4 has the most "unique" exclusives - although that Spiderman one was just them paying for exclusivity; other than that what do people really love about PS4 exclusives... Uncharted and God of War. With the Xbox you've got Halo & Gears of War (although there's also more obscure Microsoft exclusives, that I think are underrated). It's the same with Nintendo - the big long lasting franchises generate the most excitement.

At least with the Mario franchises, you get a pretty wide diversity of what to play. There's traditional Mario. There's Mario party. There's Mario Kart. They've also got Super Smash Bros... which will always be popular as the most easily accessible fighting game.

While this is true, Nintendo's third party support is much weaker than Microsoft and Sony's. So in this case, they need to keep their franchises going. Their niche is what keeps them alive. 

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

While this is true, Nintendo's third party support is much weaker than Microsoft and Sony's. So in this case, they need to keep their franchises going. Their niche is what keeps them alive. 

I think what’s kept them alive tbh is how popular handhelds are in the Japanese market. I’d also argue the switch has opened them up to more 3rd parties wanting to use their hardware - for me personally as I’ve got a switch and an Xbox it’s not so much of an issue for me, I got my switch for Nintendo exclusives tbh. But if you want to play The Witcher 3 or Doom (two of the best games of the last decade) on a train or a bus, the switch is the easiest and cheapest way to do that.

I think the Switch was really Nintendo’s way of cornering the market after Sony’s made several attempts trying to get “the big games” on a handheld.

But as long as handheld gaming is popular in Japan, I can’t see Nintendo dying off.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think what’s kept them alive tbh is how popular handhelds are in the Japanese market. I’d also argue the switch has opened them up to more 3rd parties wanting to use their hardware - for me personally as I’ve got a switch and an Xbox it’s not so much of an issue for me, I got my switch for Nintendo exclusives tbh. But if you want to play The Witcher 3 or Doom (two of the best games of the last decade) on a train or a bus, the switch is the easiest and cheapest way to do that.

I think the Switch was really Nintendo’s way of cornering the market after Sony’s made several attempts trying to get “the big games” on a handheld.

But as long as handheld gaming is popular in Japan, I can’t see Nintendo dying off.

Nintendo has a charm though. Regardless of your opinion on them, they still make great games that many can enjoy and remember. I prefer Nintendo for single player games still. They have a dedicated fanbase and as you said, they are your only option when it comes to handhelds. However, they have to be extra innovative in order to sell these days just because their online sucks and shooters are the rave these days. I hate modern gaming as I mentioned earlier.

15 minutes ago, Vader said:

Nintendo has a charm though. Regardless of your opinion on them, they still make great games that many can enjoy and remember. I prefer Nintendo for single player games still. They have a dedicated fanbase and as you said, they are your only option when it comes to handhelds. However, they have to be extra innovative in order to sell these days just because their online sucks and shooters are the rave these days. I hate modern gaming as I mentioned earlier.

Their online services being shite is entirely their fault. It’s 2020, there’s no excuse for Nintendo’s services to be worse than original Xbox live 

• The title was changed to Unpopular Gaming Opinions
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Their online services being shite is entirely their fault. It’s 2020, there’s no excuse for Nintendo’s services to be worse than original Xbox live 

I agree. Them having worse third party support than the other two is more of a "live with the consequence" situation, but their online being shite is entirely their fault. They make you pay for it too. I just hope Pokemon Sword and Shield have better online than what was on the 3DS, because then it might actually be worth it.

Oh, this should be fun, although I dunno how unpopular these opinions are as I don't read gaming websites or talk about games a lot:

- Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock 1 by a considerable distance.
- The story of Bioshock is not all that great as it fails to integrate the mundanity of gameplay into the storytelling, which loses a lot of its gravitas as a result. Cryostasis is a game that did this much better.
- While 'streamlining' is often seen as a bad thing in games as it dumbs the gameplay down, I view it as a good way to get rid of archaic gameplay elements, especially in RPGs.
- Mario Kart 64, while enjoyable, was not a good game even for its time.
- If we exclude the portable games, GTA: Vice City is the worst 3D instalment in the series as it failed to add anything to the gameplay. And not being able to swim in a map that's 50% water?
- Niko Bellic is the worst GTA protagonist.
- Far Cry 5 is the best Far Cry game.

11 hours ago, Panflute said:

If we exclude the portable games, GTA: Vice City is the worst 3D instalment in the series as it failed to add anything to the gameplay. And not being able to swim in a map that's 50% water?

We’re helicopters in GTA3? I can’t remember. Swimming though was definitely a bummer.

13 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

We’re helicopters in GTA3? I can’t remember. Swimming though was definitely a bummer.

Helicopters and motorbikes weren't, no. But at the same time you couldn't even climb over walls yet in Vice City. Replaying the 3D trilogy on Xbox made me realize how limited Vice City was.

21 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Helicopters and motorbikes weren't, no. But at the same time you couldn't even climb over walls yet in Vice City. Replaying the 3D trilogy on Xbox made me realize how limited Vice City was.

I need to give them a good going over. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, True Blue said:

That is actually a popular opinion. Always preferred PES over it, however did play FIFA for a few years. It it so unrealistic especially if you play with the top teams.

Yeah tbh it isn't unpopular xD but I just mean in general it's even worse than people think it is in my eyes. People shouldn't buy it. It's a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a game of fifa 20 yesterday. There was a premier league banner glitched down either side of the screen so I was playing with only the centre 3rd of the screen and a Ben Dunk was standing about half way up the pitch. Luckily it was an away game and he was in a home jersey or id have given the ball up a WHOLE lot, as the extra Dunk wasn't doing anything, just standing there.

On 28/01/2020 at 22:21, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I played a game of fifa 20 yesterday. There was a premier league banner glitched down either side of the screen so I was playing with only the centre 3rd of the screen and a Ben Dunk was standing about half way up the pitch. Luckily it was an away game and he was in a home jersey or id have given the ball up a WHOLE lot, as the extra Dunk wasn't doing anything, just standing there.

FIFA is miserable.
Bethesda blow ass.
Blizzard are Phil's bald head.

• 2 months later...

Archived