talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Film Club

football forum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway the film is 'Wake In Fright' (1971), it is Australian produciton based on a novel of the same name. The film was directed by Ted Kotcheff whom you may be familiar with. Kotcheff directed 'First Blood' (that is Rambo these days) and not much else worth mentioning. This film was critically panned, ignored, and forgotten when it was released. It was derided for it's subject matter and a particular graphic scene towards the end of the film. It was buried and promptly forgotten for forty years, until the last remaining original of the film was uncovered in the USA about a decade ago, which it was amsuingly scheduled for destruction. Upon rerelease it has received universal acclaim and an entirely new audience.

The film follows a young teacher that is paying off his university deby through working in a remote community in NSW. During the summer holidays he plans to return to Sydney via a flight out of nearby mining town 'The Yabba'. The teacher engages in the local culture a little to enthusiastically and ends up doing and seeing things that are very out of character for him. 

It's a paints a pretty brutal picture of the less than savoury aspects of rural Australian culture, and from my experience being from there it is pretty accurate (if dramatised).  My favourite scene is one in which the teacher refuses someone offering to buy him a beer to which the person offering is deeply offended (I've seen this happen).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wake_in_fright

Wake in Fright - Wikipedia

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 14/01/2020 at 16:27, Pyfish said:

Hello fellow members of TF365. Welcome to Film Club. There are only two rules...

1. You do not talk about Film Club
2. You DO NOT talk about Film Club.

In all seriousness, we will pick a film and discuss it as a group. It doesn't matter if you've seen it before or never seen it. It's a chance to watch a film and chat about it in detail.

@Harry suggested we could watch the films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe which I like the idea of (especially in chronological order) but we can spread those out and have some other films in between to suit everyone's tastes. I like the idea of watching films I'd not usually watch too. 

Suggest some films and we can go from there and decide what we are going to watch. Not sure if it would work out best as one thread for all of the films or a separate section within Film/TV with a thread for each film - it's all open to discussion!

Good post buddy.

Archived