• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

football forum

• Subscriber

The Shawshank Redemption Poster

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Dir: Frank Darabont

Rated #1 by users on IMDB, a very high score on Rotten Tomatoes and a lot of people's favourite film of all time. It makes sense to start here? Whether you've seen it or not, it's a good watch.

Stars: Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman
Duration: 2 hours 22 minutes

Did You Know: It originally flopped at the box office but is now widely considered one of the best films of all time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

What don't you like about it @nudge

Is there anyone who hasn't actually seen it?

I think there's misunderstanding here; it's not that I hate it or think it's an awful movie. I just think that it's terribly overrated and doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top in any "best" movie lists. For me it's a mediocre feel-good emotionally manipulative and moralising movie with a lot of cliches and one-dimensional characters. So pretty much a Hallmark Channel movie with a big budget. 

• Subscriber

Red: "I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Some things are best left unsaid."

Will give this a watch sometime tomorrow. Its been a while and I cant remember most of the movie.

47 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think there's misunderstanding here; it's not that I hate it or think it's an awful movie. I just think that it's terribly overrated and doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top in any "best" movie lists. For me it's a mediocre feel-good emotionally manipulative and moralising movie with a lot of cliches and one-dimensional characters. So pretty much a Hallmark Channel movie with a big budget. 

Don’t be so obtuse 

53 minutes ago, nudge said:

I like it, but I have to agree. It’s almost as if someone randomly said “this is the best film ever” and literally everyone jumped on it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

So basically its the rule-book for being a politician?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

I like it, but I have to agree. It’s almost as if someone randomly said “this is the best film ever” and literally everyone jumped on it.

I mean I get it - it's a well produced movie which has camaraderie and a feel-good ending that gives people hope. So I understand why it has universal appeal and why so many people like it. For me personally its sentimentality is too much "in your face" and the emotional string pulling is too excessive for my liking though. 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Had no idea it originally flopped  at the box office. Does anyone know the reason why, or more to the point, what turned the tide for it?

Also @Dr. Gonzo, wtf man.

Failed to make a million in opening weekend. Read somewhere before it's something to do with it being a prison movie and the trailer made people think it was going to "bum then out" so avoided it. It wasn't until it was shown on TV and released properly that people started to appreciate what a great film it is. Amazing it's adapted from a 97 page novella too!

• Subscriber

I havent watched this in a good long while, good suggestion. Ill try to get on it this weekend :D

I tend to side with nudge from what I remember but Ill reserve my comments until after a refresh! but that doesnt include the nutella comment you witch! Nutella is proof god exists. On the same note has anyone tried cookie butter? its like penut butter but cookies. 

Archived