talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

football forum

On 16/01/2020 at 02:47, nudge said:

I think there's misunderstanding here; it's not that I hate it or think it's an awful movie. I just think that it's terribly overrated and doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top in any "best" movie lists. For me it's a mediocre feel-good emotionally manipulative and moralising movie with a lot of cliches and one-dimensional characters. So pretty much a Hallmark Channel movie with a big budget. 

I second most of this.

It's like Forest Gump for me in that I watched it, and went "yeah that was a pretty good movie" but then found so many others making out it's the best thing since sliced bread and I was confused.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I second most of this.

It's like Forest Gump for me in that I watched it, and went "yeah that was a pretty good movie" but then found so many others making out it's the best thing since sliced bread and I was confused.

I feel exactly the same way about Forrest Gump too...

• Subscriber

A good film and I have watched it a few times but I wouldn't say it's the greatest films of all time, all I would love to know is how the fuck he could knock a hole in the cell wall and cover it with a poster and the screws when making cell inspections never discovered it?

A bit like Escape from Alcatraz starring Clint Eastwood as Frank Morris who escaped and they never found his body to this day, a mystery?

I loved the ending too where Morgan Freeman as Ellis met up with Andy and that got a lump in my throat and the wife had tears in her eyes. 

• Subscriber

A few people talking about it at work today. A handful of them are also going along with what has been said already and it having this 'over-hype' about it. I don't agree though obviously!

I like the idea of a 'live' thread :)

On 17/01/2020 at 09:56, CaaC (John) said:

A bit like Escape from Alcatraz starring Clint Eastwood as Frank Morris who escaped and they never found his body to this day, a mystery?

That's based on a true story - it took them over a year of digging a tunnel with a spoon.

• Subscriber
On 17/01/2020 at 17:56, CaaC (John) said:

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's based on a true story - it took them over a year of digging a tunnel with a spoon.

True, loved the film. 

3 inmates who famously escaped Alcatraz may have survived

• Subscriber
On 24/01/2020 at 12:21, Mel81x said:

So when we watching this to discuss it? haha

We need to come up with some sort of system don't we haha! 

Announce the movie and then give a deadline to watch perhaps? And then we can discuss for a few days before moving on.

I like the idea of all watching it 'as live' but it's just a job getting everyone available at the same time what with people having lives outside of the forum :)

The one thing that actually always get's me with this film is the soundtrack.

Very well chosen pieces to suit particular scenes and add to the emotion of the film.

Particularly the start when Andy first arrives, the 'Opera' moment to the rest of the prison and the montage of Brooks after he get's out.

Very moving.

On 01/02/2020 at 01:25, Lucas said:

The one thing that actually always get's me with this film is the soundtrack.

Very well chosen pieces to suit particular scenes and add to the emotion of the film.

Particularly the start when Andy first arrives, the 'Opera' moment to the rest of the prison and the montage of Brooks after he get's out.

Very moving.

Thomas Newman is class. 

• 1 month later...

Archived