talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Del Rey 2019/20

football forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Madrid through Marcelo in the 59th minute and they pull a goal back. There's still another half an hour for them to find at least two more goals, but that will be a tough task against this well organised Real Sociedad team. The score is currently Real Madrid 1-3 Real Sociedad

15 minutes ago, Michael said:

2 nil, Isak scores the second goal for Sociedad!

This young Real Sociedad team is very interesting and could go on to become similar to the one we saw from a few years back. Hopefully they don't get dismantled and ripped apart, which happens far too much in this sport nowadays.

Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

This young Real Sociedad team is very interesting and could go on to become similar to the one we saw from a few years back. Hopefully they don't get dismantled and ripped apart, which happens far too much in this sport nowadays.

Yes, Mikel Merino another ex-Dortmund player scores to make it 4-1 to Sociedad now, what a thumping Real Madrid are getting today. 

They are an entertaining side to watch are Sociedad, but Odegaard will probably return to Real Madrid soon, I doubt they will let Sociedad extend his loan deal.

Inaki Williams scores in injury time to give Athletic Bilbao a 1-0 win over Barcelona. In truth this match was quite boring, with only a handful of real chances being created. There were plenty of fouls and 9 yellow cards, which will give people an indication as to what kind of match it was. 

So Real Madrid and Barcelona are knocked out of the Copa Del Rey. But at least Real Madrid created many chances and managed to score 3 goals. Barcelona seemed to really struggle in finding a way past the Bilbao defence. It's not surprising that it was Bilbao who eventually found the goal that sealed the match. They managed to keep Messi at bay, and the Argentine star, only really had one dangerous chance in the match.

Bilbao now advance to the semi-finals where they join Real Sociedad, Granada and surprisingly Mirandes. Mirandes are the only club out of the 4, that have never won the Copa Del Rey before in their entire history of existence.

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fully backing Mirandes to win but if that's not possible, a Basque Derby for a final I can settle for... 

Yeah, I mean it would be a fairy tale story for them but I think as a neutral I'd prefer a Basque derby final. That would be awesome.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

All four underdogs won. 440/1 you'd have got on that.

The thing is, I knew Mirandés, Granada and especially Athletic would win as they all had home advantage. The only surprise of the 3, for me, was La Real beating Madrid, especially since the latter had home advantage.

I'd like to see la Real win it after beating Athletic in the final myself. For as great as it would be if Mirandés win it, a Basque derby final would be brilliant for the neutral.

15810900340175.jpg

Granada have reached the final before, in the 50s, but have never won it.

Mirandes have never won it before.

Athletic Bilbao have won it 23 times and been runners up 14 times. The last time they were runners-up was in 2014-15, although the last time they actually won it was 1984.

Real Sociedad have won it twice and been runners-up 5 times, although they haven't won it, nor reached a final since the mid-80s.

3 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

15810900340175.jpg

Granada have reached the final before, in the 50s, but have never won it.

Mirandes have never won it before.

Athletic Bilbao have won it 23 times and been runners up 14 times. The last time they were runners-up was in 2014-15, although the last time they actually won it was 1984.

Real Sociedad have won it twice and been runners-up 5 times, although they haven't won it, nor reached a final since the mid-80s.

That's right, my bad, they were finalists in the 1958/59 season, but didn't actually win it.

My money is on Real Sociedad to win it as they look like the strongest of the remaining teams in my opinion. It would be great if there was an all Basque final with Real Sociedad v Athletic Bilbao, that would be an intense final.:D

13 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The thing is, I knew Mirandés, Granada and especially Athletic would win as they all had home advantage. The only surprise of the 3, for me, was La Real beating Madrid, especially since the latter had home advantage.

I'd like to see la Real win it after beating Athletic in the final myself. For as great as it would be if Mirandés win it, a Basque derby final would be brilliant for the neutral.

To be fair, Real Madrid did rest a few players and Real Sociedad are a team with some super players like Isak, Odegaard and Oyarzabal. Illarramendi and Mikel Merino are very decent players as well. So after seeing the lineups, the result didn't come as too much of a shock, even though you'd still expect Real Madrid to win at home.

20 hours ago, Michael said:

To be fair, Real Madrid did rest a few players and Real Sociedad are a team with some super players like Isak, Odegaard and Oyarzabal. Illarramendi and Mikel Merino are very decent players as well. So after seeing the lineups, the result didn't come as too much of a shock, even though you'd still expect Real Madrid to win at home.

To be honest Real Sociedad had Diego Llorente out injured, Illarramendi is also injured(has been most of the season) and Willian Jose has been demoted to the bench after trying to kick up a fuss to force a move during the winter transfer window. On top of that, they had a defender playing at right back, who has only started 3 times in La Liga this season. So technically, they weren't at their absolute full strength either mate.

Either way, I like their policy, which they have had for a long time. They bring in quality young foreign(or Spanish) players to compliment the players they bring through their youth system. It's a shame they lost Odriozola though as he's absolutely perfect for them, is one of their own and was never going to get proper chances at Real Madrid, like he probably won't at Bayern now either.

It'll be good to see this Real Sociedad team live when they take on Barcelona at Camp Nou when I go in early March.

12 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

To be honest Real Sociedad had Diego Llorente out injured, Illarramendi is also injured(has been most of the season) and Willian Jose has been demoted to the bench after trying to kick up a fuss to force a move during the winter transfer window. On top of that, they had a defender playing at right back, who has only started 3 times in La Liga this season. So technically, they weren't at their absolute full strength either mate.

Either way, I like their policy, which they have had for a long time. They bring in quality young foreign(or Spanish) players to compliment the players they bring through their youth system. It's a shame they lost Odriozola though as he's absolutely perfect for them, is one of their own and was never going to get proper chances at Real Madrid, like he probably won't at Bayern now either.

It'll be good to see this Real Sociedad team live when they take on Barcelona at Camp Nou when I go in early March.

I'm not taking anything away from Real Sociedad, they deservedly won that match and like I have said before, they have several excellent players in their team. In fact in my opinion, they should be higher than 8th place in La Liga, given the quality players that they have in their squad. 

Sociedad do indeed have a great policy at their club when it comes to players. They are actually following the model that several Bundesliga clubs use. They buy young players with a lot of potential for a reasonable price and then they sell them for a big profit 2 or 3 years down the line. 

I think that Sociedad's match at Barcelona will be extremely entertaining and I am sure that you will be treated to a lot of goals.

17 hours ago, Michael said:

I'm not taking anything away from Real Sociedad, they deservedly won that match and like I have said before, they have several excellent players in their team. In fact in my opinion, they should be higher than 8th place in La Liga, given the quality players that they have in their squad. 

Sociedad do indeed have a great policy at their club when it comes to players. They are actually following the model that several Bundesliga clubs use. They buy young players with a lot of potential for a reasonable price and then they sell them for a big profit 2 or 3 years down the line. 

I think that Sociedad's match at Barcelona will be extremely entertaining and I am sure that you will be treated to a lot of goals.

Their policy has always been similar mate(which is why I find them likeable), but before Jon Aldridge left Liverpool to join them in the late 80s, they had a policy exactly like Athletic Bilbao's. Personally I believe that Athletic themselves should go a similar way. It doesn't mean they have to ignore Basque players, but they can bring in some quality players to compliment them. This could really revolutionise them as they are a big club with a lot of money, although due to their strict policy, they are very limited in the players they can actually sign.

Either way, I have no doubts that these two will be in the final and Athletic will win, although I would prefer if Real Sociedad did. In saying that, I'm never against Athletic winning anything and if Granada, or especially Mirandes, were to win it, then that would be one of those true underdog stories. Also 2 of these 4 clubs will be guaranteed a place in the Supercup next season, which for me is now a better format. 4 teams makes it more competitive than 2. It also has to be noted that the Supercopa was always contested over 2 legs anyway, so it's not like there are extra games either. They should keep the current format in both the Copa del Rey and Supercopa as it has gained a shitload of interest this season. The only downside to the Supercopa is where it is being held. Spanish games should always be on Spanish soil, although atleast it isn't La Liga games and Copa Del Rey finals being held there.

I don't really think anyone associated with Barcelona should be too dis-hearted with the loss either as anything can happen away in 1 game and reaching the last 6 finals(winning 4) of the competition is hardly a bad run. It's La Liga and the Champs League that should be the main focus also and with the thin squad(due to key injuries) it could even be a blessing in terms of what happens come May in the league.

I'm just hoping the match vs la Real isn't at 4 oclock. I'm after a 9 oclock kick off ideally and that way you can spend a full day doing something before ending that day with the match at night. But I do expect a good game either way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived