• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal - Tuesday 21st January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Going to be a busy summer for Chelsea from what I've seen Saturday and tonight.

Not enough creative spark. They get to the edge of the area, draw a blank and run out of ideas. Very predictable. It actually wouldn't hurt them to try mix up their play a bit.

Ludicrous to think they hold a six point cushion to 5th but then, everyone below them are just as bad.

This is perhaps been the case for 3-4 years. Even with Hazard, I and the Chelsea fans on here banged on about how we needed more creativity and attacking threat. Without Hazard, you can imagine how it's got even worse. If Hazard had stuck around, we would have still needed better quality in attacking areas. 

The first half of the season we perhaps caught a lot of the league by surprise, with the energy and the young players, new manager and style. There was a lot of talk before the season of how we were going to miss Hazard but our relatively positive start swept most of that under the carpet. Teams, however, get used to other teams and games become more difficult as the season goes on and that happens to everyone in the league even the eventual champions.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dan said:

England will be losing some coefficient points next season on these showings. Some serious dross is going to make the top 4.

I was discussing this with my house mates (2 Chelsea 1 Liverpool) earlier on. We decided that every team in the league has reason to be embarrassed so far this season apart from Liverpool and Sheffield United. Leicester and Wolves could go either way. Everyone else has dreadfully underperformed.

Just now, Cicero said:

@carefreeluke

Lampard is part of the problem if he’s pushing the club to offer Willian a new deal. 

Unbelievable. . 

Lee Dixon on my stream tonight said he is always the best thing about Chelsea, was literally in awe about him. If we continue relying on him to the extent we do, we will continue to be where we are, 4th at very best or Europa League.

• The topic was unpinned

Credit to the team, very good result considering the circumstances. Still we create so many of our own issues, so many players stealing a living as well. I've been a bit sceptical with Arteta but I do think he has something about him, the main issue for me has always been the playing squad it just isn't good enough. Hopefully we can start clearing out the mess and actually make some decent signings in the upcoming windows. 

• Subscriber

I got home for the second half of this with my house mates watching. My first thought was that Arsenal would probably quite happily have seen David Luiz get a red card if the trade-off was that Barkley was one of the 11 playing for the opposition.

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I would say all four of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Spurs need massive clear outs. 

Yeah all four have been pretty rudderless in recent seasons, no real thought or process has gone into the building of their squads. A lot of money wasted, really hope we can look towards better signings with Arteta and Edu now being at the club. 

5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah all four have been pretty rudderless in recent seasons, no real thought or process has gone into the building of their squads. A lot of money wasted, really hope we can look towards better signings with Arteta and Edu now being at the club. 

Same with us and Cech. 

United seem genuinely hopeless with Woodward 

Of course. Tammy is limited in his overall play. For every 5 chances he gets, he scores 1. His decision making is also very poor. 

That can be improved on, however I’m still adamant at best he can be our Danny Welbeck. 

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

I thought you couldn’t give a penalty and a red card? Or is that just for goalkeepers?

No you're correct but the rule is it has to be either accidental or you make a genuine attempt to win the ball. I think the Luiz one could've gone either way for me. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

I thought you couldn’t give a penalty and a red card? Or is that just for goalkeepers?

Can be for anyone if there's no attempt to win the ball. So if you're pulling the shirt of a player or deliberate handball for example to stop a goal. 

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

Of course. Tammy is limited in his overall play. For every 5 chances he gets, he scores 1. His decision making is also very poor. 

That can be improved on, however I’m still adamant at best he can be our Danny Welbeck. 

I don't think personally his decision making is that bad. He needs to be more clinical which is something @Fairy In Boots said about him last season at Villa. It's been a while since we've had a striker up there in the goal-scoring charts as well so at least he's scoring goals relatively consistently. I would say his movement and off the ball work is relatively good also. I would say the two areas where he needs to improve is first, as mentioned, be more clinical and the second is his overall influence on the game. His hold up play is improving but I think he can be more of a presence up there, more involved in the general play which might be what you're alluding to. He has the attributes to do that. I don't mean more of a presence in terms of physicality but in terms of on the ball involvement, get more touches of the ball and get others involved. Part of the issue though that goes against him is that we're not a team that regularly gets the ball into our striker,  so his game involvement can be hindered a bit anyway. Under Conte, the striker used to be involved heavily in this regard. Overall, Abraham has been one of our better players this season, the next few years we will see if he improves and we will see his true ceiling. 

9 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I don't think personally his decision making is that bad. He needs to be more clinical which is something @Fairy In Boots said about him last season at Villa. It's been a while since we've had a striker up there in the goal-scoring charts as well so at least he's scoring goals relatively consistently. I would say his movement and off the ball work is relatively good also. I would say the two areas where he needs to improve is first, as mentioned, be more clinical and the second is his overall influence on the game. His hold up play is improving but I think he can be more of a presence up there, more involved in the general play which might be what you're alluding to. He has the attributes to do that. I don't mean more of a presence in terms of physicality but in terms of on the ball involvement, get more touches of the ball and get others involved. Part of the issue though that goes against him is that we're not a team that regularly gets the ball into our striker,  so his game involvement can be hindered a bit anyway. Under Conte, the striker used to be involved heavily in this regard. Overall, Abraham has been one of our better players this season, the next few years we will see if he improves and we will see his true ceiling. 

Thing is he’s young and youth players are inconsistent, Tammy in decent teams will always turn in high teens goals per season 

Archived