• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 21-22nd January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Hasn't Martial been doing well recently though? You've also got Greenwood and while you may think he's too young this is the time to use him wherever possible to gain some kind of advantage.

Personally I think he’s underperforming. He’s extremely lazy and gives up far too easily.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Personally I think he’s underperforming. He’s extremely lazy and gives up far too easily.

If you mean Martial I kind of agree, he reminds me a lot like Berbatov who would play 2 good games on the trot then disappear the next 3 and he was a lazy bastard too and a lot of the time never tracked back and help out in defence if needed and I think that's why he got the heave-ho from United.

• Subscriber

Thought we were done with this but now I've seen a gif from this angle I'm even less of a mind to criticise Pickford. We have every outfield player back in the box and we allow them to get three shots off unchallenged. The frame of him being in the goal is totally misleading as you can see from the full clip, he's there because he's reacting to the shots repeatedly getting twatted at his goal while the rest of the team can't get their act together.

50 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

He acts like he's proven he's brilliant and we should all know it, but he really hasn't done that at all.

5 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Never been a massive fan of Pickford, just a gobby shite who can do the occasional good kick. Not a dominant keeper and I don't think he is a top notch shot stopper either. I think Southgate should really be looking at Henderson in the run in to the Euros, surely deserves a go. 

I think Henderson's a good keeper - and maybe ultimately the better keeper overall over Pickford. But I don't think it's a good idea to drop Pickford as the England number one right before the Euros. Even if I think he's a jumped up little shit with a bad attitude and is fun to make fun of his tiny little T-Rex arms.

Has Pickford looked a bit shit this season? Yes, absolutely. But Everton have also looked pretty fucking shit and he's got some totally useless players in front of him. He's done well for England though and we've won penalty shootouts with him - I maintain that a lot of what makes sides successfully on the international stage is discipline and mentality to go along with talent; he's got the mentality to be an England keeper, imo - having performed well in a World Cup. Meanwhile Henderson's last U-21 tournament saw him drop some absolute clangers and not look anywhere near as good as he does at club football.

Henderson's certainly done enough to be the #2 this summer. And he's done enough to start having people ask the questions of whether Pickford or Henderson should be our long term keeper in the national team. But for a tournament in this summer, I think it's best to stick with the established keeper that England have done well with in recent times.

If Everton improve and he still looks a bit wonky at the club level next season, then sure... let's go with Henderson. Or if Everton remain shit and Henderson keeps looking good, wherever he is, then let's give Henderson the gloves. But we're also talking about a keeper that may be spending his next season on the bench as backup to David De Gea - so relying on him as a long term option for England over the guy who's established that position... only for him to not be playing the next season.

Long term I would not be surprised if Henderson, a young English goalkeeper in good form and with normal sized arms, is a better goalkeeper in the long term for England than Pickford, a keeper in questionable form with very, very, very small arms. But I think the upcoming Euros is too soon for a big change like that, imo.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Long term I would not be surprised if Henderson, a young English goalkeeper in good form and with normal sized arms, is a better goalkeeper in the long term for England than Pickford, a keeper in questionable form with very, very, very small arms. But I think the upcoming Euros is too soon for a big change like that, imo.

Fucking crying xD

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Thought we were done with this but now I've seen a gif from this angle I'm even less of a mind to criticise Pickford. We have every outfield player back in the box and we allow them to get three shots off unchallenged. The frame of him being in the goal is totally misleading as you can see from the full clip, he's there because he's reacting to the shots repeatedly getting twatted at his goal while the rest of the team can't get their act together.

Ok but why's he diving two yards behind his line to try and save one of those shots? Knowing where your line is seems a pretty basic requirement of being a professional goalkeeper

20 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Ok but why's he diving two yards behind his line to try and save one of those shots? Knowing where your line is seems a pretty basic requirement of being a professional goalkeeper

He’s had 3 shots blasted at him from 6 yards out. You can only concentrate on your surrounding for so long before disorientation takes over with about 15 players stood in front of you. Pickford has his issues, but people are just being overly critical in this situation.

I don't think Pickford's entirely to blame for that last goal, but I do think there's something in what @LFCMike says about him diving into his goal. You've got to have your wits about you more than that. The worst (best) bit, though, was when two Everton defenders jumped in the same place to head clear and the ball dropped over their heads. What the fuck are they doing?

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Pickford is a very good shot stopper. If he actually is going to get found out at Everton, it won't be until the rest of the team is sorted because we've got so many issues, it's hard to really look at him and saying he's costing us games individually, unless it's really obvious like the Anfield derby last season which was his first big howler for us. He had a great game last week against West Ham, we would have lost with Howard, Robles, Stekelenburg etc. in goal, but you won't hear anything about it because he's England number one. I'm not saying he doesn't have his good and bad moments but those people who don't see him play every week generally only hear about the bad moments, because he's the England goalkeeper, for some reason he's expected to be world class every game even though that expectation isn't put on any other England footballer, so nobody praises him when he does well. You saw the same thing with Joe Hart, can't do anything wrong as long as he's establishing himself as number one. Then as soon as he's there, he can't do anything right.

I honestly don't think he is, for the simple reason that he doesn't save much. He'll make flashy ones, but it feels like every time I watch him he makes the routine look difficult and gets absolutely nowhere near shots that better goalkeepers would keep out. I tend to agree with you that he's not The Problem, but he is a bit crap

• The topic was unpinned

Archived