• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 21-22nd January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Vader said:

Parking the bus is the worst strategy in world football. You gift the ball to the opponents and give them double the chances they would get if they went for the attack just for extra shot cover in the box. Not only that but if you concede first, you're screwed without a tactical change.

Attack is the best form of defence. Hold possession and limit the amount of chances your opposition gets while having some of your own at that.

I think there's a time and a place for both. I think most people would agree with the "attack is the best form of defense" being the better for people to watch - you need very good sides to get it working right all the time though. It's not realistic to expect every side to take that sort of approach.

You couple that approach with the high pressing style of us or City... and you need to have sides that are very comfortable on the ball and that are also full of players that have the fitness to play like that for 90 odd minutes. If more sides could play like Liverpool or City they would - but it's hard to get that done.

And there's a reason why low blocks against good attacking sides is so often employed - even though against the 2 best sides in the league... I'd argue that it's been proven to be a pretty poor tactic because City and Liverpool still win (usually exactly for what you say, you give possession to the other side and they have good attacks... that's just putting yourself under constant pressure from good attackers). It's because it frustrates attacking players and gets them off their game, making mistakes, and hopefully not tracking back on those counter opportunities.

I'd argue that United's season actually demonstrates that good sides should have multiple ways to play, unless they're a side like City where you can sign 3 full squads basically. United this season have been good against good sides, because they've been able to set up a low block and can counter really effectively (especially when all of their attackers are fit). But they've not had the squad depth to play anything other than counterattacking football, because they've got hardly any creativity in the side.

So when they come up against a side like Burnley, that's built for what I am going to call "Brexitball" - United have no answer because they don't have the creativity. So in this example, United are really unable to use that "attack is the best form of defense" approach - they're really only set up to counterattack and anything else is a struggle for this squad.

Although I don't think it's entirely down to the quality of the players at United. I think Solksjaer's an abysmal manager and a good run of form once he was first appointed and just cleared some of the toxic air around United after Mourinho's spell shouldn't have been why they gave him a long term contract. He's out of his depth.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Mad how we are extending the gap from United after yesterday’s embarrassment 

Mad how the gap is so small tbh.

Says something about the league where United's been extra shit this season and then I look at the table and practically everyone else is right around United.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mad how the gap is so small tbh.

Says something about the league where United's been extra shit this season and then I look at the table and practically everyone else is right around United.

Erm, have you seen who we’ve lost to? At home?

We are all shit. Although Spurs and United didn’t have a transfer ban

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think there's a time and a place for both. I think most people would agree with the "attack is the best form of defense" being the better for people to watch - you need very good sides to get it working right all the time though. It's not realistic to expect every side to take that sort of approach.

You couple that approach with the high pressing style of us or City... and you need to have sides that are very comfortable on the ball and that are also full of players that have the fitness to play like that for 90 odd minutes. If more sides could play like Liverpool or City they would - but it's hard to get that done.

And there's a reason why low blocks against good attacking sides is so often employed - even though against the 2 best sides in the league... I'd argue that it's been proven to be a pretty poor tactic because City and Liverpool still win (usually exactly for what you say, you give possession to the other side and they have good attacks... that's just putting yourself under constant pressure from good attackers). It's because it frustrates attacking players and gets them off their game, making mistakes, and hopefully not tracking back on those counter opportunities.

I'd argue that United's season actually demonstrates that good sides should have multiple ways to play, unless they're a side like City where you can sign 3 full squads basically. United this season have been good against good sides, because they've been able to set up a low block and can counter really effectively (especially when all of their attackers are fit). But they've not had the squad depth to play anything other than counterattacking football, because they've got hardly any creativity in the side.

So when they come up against a side like Burnley, that's built for what I am going to call "Brexitball" - United have no answer because they don't have the creativity. So in this example, United are really unable to use that "attack is the best form of defense" approach - they're really only set up to counterattack and anything else is a struggle for this squad.

Although I don't think it's entirely down to the quality of the players at United. I think Solksjaer's an abysmal manager and a good run of form once he was first appointed and just cleared some of the toxic air around United after Mourinho's spell shouldn't have been why they gave him a long term contract. He's out of his depth.

To be honest, I don't mind incredibly direct hoof ball football or counter attacking. When you put 10 men behind the ball though, you're putting yourself at risk at any point in the game. Try to double your lead or score another goal instead of holding a 1 goal deficit and then gifting the ball to your opposition so they get as many chances as they can get. Not only that but if they get a lucky long shot or you concede a dodgy penalty, then the tactic goes straight out the window. Whether its from start to finish or youre defending a lead late on.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Apologies. He’s taking off Williams for Burger King. I’m out. Can’t do this to myself anymore.

Shaw was one of your better players against us at Anfield.

I feel like he gets a bit of a rough time just because he's a fat bastard.

• Subscriber

Lo Celso is an absolute magician. First name on the team sheet for the rest of the season. The rest of them are woeful (Aurier was good too but shh) - very lucky that Norwich lack so much quality that we won by default. 

1 hour ago, Vader said:

Parking the bus is the worst strategy in world football. You gift the ball to the opponents and give them double the chances they would get if they went for the attack just for extra shot cover in the box. Not only that but if you concede first, you're screwed without a tactical change.

Attack is the best form of defence. Hold possession and limit the amount of chances your opposition gets while having some of your own at that.

This isn't really attack, it's just defending with the ball and it's equally cowardly, if not moreso. There have been some teams who were absolutely terrible for keeping the ball with little to no attacking intent, and I'd genuinely rather watch a side park the bus. Swansea under Rodgers, us under Rodgers post-Suarez, United under van Gaal (think it was him), even Barcelona under Guardiola all played some horrible turgid shite at times.

By the way, that's shocking from De Gea for the second goal. What's he doing all the way over there? I don't even think it's that good a goal. Pickford would've saved that :ph34r:

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

He’s had 3 shots blasted at him from 6 yards out. You can only concentrate on your surrounding for so long before disorientation takes over with about 15 players stood in front of you. Pickford has his issues, but people are just being overly critical in this situation.

Thought the anlaysis on MOTD was ridiculous as well. Really slowed down as they analysed what he was doing wrong. Play it at normal speed from that angle and they'll feel a bit stupid. The whole incident was nonsense.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Vader said:

Harry Maguire is not worth 80M.

I'm not just saying it because of that goal. He is overpriced cos he is English. Van Dijk cost what, 84M if I'm correct? Not much more for a defender completely superior to Maguire.

My god I'd love to go back through some of the dross I had spouted towards me on Twitter in the summer. "You're just saying this because you know he's leaving" the theme of it. "He's your best player" a personal favourite.

Average to good PL defender going through a real rough spell. Never ever world class, not even close. Not as good as Jonny Evans. This signing really does just sum up the lack of imagination, knowhow and frankly, negotiating skills Man Utd have these days.

It's beyond me he's got the captaincy as well. He was never that much of a leader in my eyes. That was another myth spouted when they signed him.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Imagine trying to win a game when Fred, Matic & Pereira is your midfield xD 

If that was Bournemouth's midfield you would say they need reinforcements. It's scandalous how well the Glazers have played this to the point they're effectively getting away with this.

• The topic was unpinned
5 hours ago, Dan said:

If that was Bournemouth's midfield you would say they need reinforcements. It's scandalous how well the Glazers have played this to the point they're effectively getting away with this.

And they get away with it because they continue to make profit. That’s all the matters to them. I think I’d genuinely be happier if we were relegated, as it means the funding would dry up overnight.

Archived