talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2020

football forum

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santos are the far better side tonight, lovely goal by Soteldo, but Marinho has also been a constant threat down the right(although should have made it 4-0 a minute ago) and the team have generally played well as a unit.

But for as well as Santos have played from an attacking perspective in this second half, they have also defended very well and are putting 100% effort in. Boca just aren't in this game at all(due to how well Santos are playing) and I could see Santos furthering their lead with a few more goals.

An all Brazilian final looks likely. I will personally be cheering for Palmeiras, as they are my favourite Brazilian side, although I don't see their chances being too high as Santos have more quality about them. Anything can occur in a focal though and they certainly have a chance.

1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Santos are the far better side tonight, lovely goal by Soteldo, but Marinho has also been a constant threat down the right(although should have made it 4-0 a minute ago) and the team have generally played well as a unit.

But for as well as Santos have played from an attacking perspective in this second half, they have also defended very well. Boca just aren't in this game at all and I could see Santos furthering their lead with a few more goals.

An all Brazilian final looks likely. I will personally be cheering for Palmeiras, as they are my favourite Brazilian side, although I don't see their chances being too high as Santos have more quality about them. Anything can occur in a focal though and they certainly have a chance.

I'm all for Palmeiras too. They've been a quite dominant force in Brazil since they came back up from Serie B, but they can't quite get that Libertadores title.

I do like Santos because of Kaio Jorge and Yeferson Soteldo but I think the narrative revolving Palmeiras is a bit better.

On 24/12/2020 at 12:53, Stan said:

All set up to be a Boca vs River final (again :D) and Boca to win in honour of Diego. How fitting would that be?!

Watched Boca vs Racing last night @El Profesor @Berserker. Expected more from Racing but Boca were totally dominant. Racing could barely string 3 passes together all game. Boca could have won by more than 2-0 if it wasn't for Racing's keeper. 

Villa on the left wing was good. Probably man of the match. Tevez influential too.

Boca is shit they stole the league from us but they've been shit from for more than 10 years.

Match of the Day covering the Libertadores final with Tim Vickery. I maintain the best thing to ever happen to the Libertadores was that Boca - River final. It sold to people around the world that it's a tournament worth watching and full of prestige.

I don't think the single legged final is a good idea in the long term because of the issues regarding travel and team statures in South America. However, it's at least better for attracting international viewers from the USA or Europe.

I'm glad it's getting more coverage now. When I was younger it was purely a South American tournament and nothing more.

22 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Match of the Day covering the Libertadores final with Tim Vickery. I maintain the best thing to ever happen to the Libertadores was that Boca - River final. It sold to people around the world that it's a tournament worth watching and full of prestige.

I don't think the single legged final is a good idea in the long term because of the issues regarding travel and team statures in South America. However, it's at least better for attracting international viewers from the USA or Europe.

I'm glad it's getting more coverage now. When I was younger it was purely a South American tournament and nothing more.

That final did generate a lot of interest. Unfortunately because of the delays due to the violence it got less viewers than it would of.  I actually hope that one day the world club championship can help south American football grow. Brazil and argentinians league's should really be up there with the best leagues in the world.  People forget that up until the 70s or 80s the best south American players stayed in south America. When  people say pele played in a shit league they dont realise that most of the 1970 Brazil squad played in brazil. I'm  not sure if any played in Europe. 

• Administrator

Tense & cautious I think is best way to describe that first half. It's not boring by any stretch and both sides obviously trying their best to win, neither sitting back or playing too defensively. Just not much working out for them as they push forward. Not many clear cut chances, if any.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Tense & cautious I think is best way to describe that first half. It's not boring by any stretch and both sides obviously trying their best to win, neither sitting back or playing too defensively. Just not much working out for them as they push forward. Not many clear cut chances, if any.

Kind of to be expected of 2 Brazilian sides in a final to be honest, let's hope for a better second half.

• Administrator
Just now, Mpache said:

Kind of to be expected of 2 Brazilian sides in a final to be honest, let's hope for a better second half.

Yes, they were just saying about conditions there as well as the sheer volume of football played already by both clubs as well.

Just now, Stan said:

Yes, they were just saying about conditions there as well as the sheer volume of football played already by both clubs as well.

These games tend to be "tense and cautious" in Brazil whenever the stakes are high, for the reasons you mentioned and also because the Brazilian philosophy basically is looking for the mistake and not making many mistakes yourself.

Archived