• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2020

football forum

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few notes

- IDV are strong on the road but I didn't expect Barcelona to drop the ball that much

- Adebayor debuted for Olimpia as a sub

- LDU Quito did well and probably would have won regardless yesterday but the win has less prestige due to River playing a second string team.

I went to see Alianza Lima vs Nacional last night. I got a few videos of the atmosphere but no pictures when the ground was full. I took the pictures 2 hours before kick off!

446dfa90aacca67281976e6487765515.jpg

And here are the Uruguayan away fans. Decent following

30e5ebf67d282170d4fe157b42b622f6.jpg

Grêmio x Internacional is by far the biggest rivalry in brazilian football. And their first meeting ever in the Copa Libertadores proved that point. 

8 players sent off after a full out brawl. 

It was really strange to watch the last minutes of the match with 7 players on each side, there were lots of space on the pitch but the players seemed really confused. 

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

All set up to be a Boca vs River final (again :D) and Boca to win in honour of Diego. How fitting would that be?!

Watched Boca vs Racing last night @El Profesor @Berserker. Expected more from Racing but Boca were totally dominant. Racing could barely string 3 passes together all game. Boca could have won by more than 2-0 if it wasn't for Racing's keeper. 

Villa on the left wing was good. Probably man of the match. Tevez influential too.

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

All set up to be a Boca vs River final (again :D) and Boca to win in honour of Diego. How fitting would that be?!

Watched Boca vs Racing last night @El Profesor @Berserker. Expected more from Racing but Boca were totally dominant. Racing could barely string 3 passes together all game. Boca could have won by more than 2-0 if it wasn't for Racing's keeper. 

Villa on the left wing was good. Probably man of the match. Tevez influential too.

We´ve had so many Superclásicos at Libertadores in recent years and they never live up to the hype. I´m not really looking forward to another one to be honest. haha Not to mention all the mess between their fanbases. 

I´d prefer a brazilian vs argentinian rather than an all-argentinian or all-brazilian final. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

We´ve had so many Superclásicos at Libertadores in recent years and they never live up to the hype. I´m not really looking forward to another one to be honest. haha Not to mention all the mess between their fanbases. 

I´d prefer a brazilian vs argentinian rather than an all-argentinian or all-brazilian final. 

Thought the last one was good? The final in Madrid? 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Thought the last one was good? The final in Madrid? 

You´re right, the final in Madrid was a really good game. The path to that game in Madrid was such a mess though. That match was supposed to take place at Monumental de Núñez. 

In 2015, Boca was disqualified from the competition after River players were attacked with peper spray. 

Last year, the semi-finals between Boca and River were really boring. 

Boca vs River usually is a boring match in the league, it has been the entirety of the decade. However I wouldn't mind another final as it has the potential to be really good once again.

River is the favourite to win it all though in my opinion.

Just now, Stan said:

Welcome to the forums @Mpache

Who do you support? Any teams you prefer as well? Whereabouts are you from?

I live in Ontario but want to move to British Columbia at some point this year. An idea I had.

I support York United and Peru's national team.

• 2 weeks later...

River is  the clear favorite on this one. 

Palmeiras hasn´t been the same after the Covid outbreak. It seems that the squad is really struggling physically. Against the best and most consistent team in South America, Palmeiras will have to show a level of football, they haven´t shown for some time now. 

I´m guessing River 2 - 0 tonight. 

European fans should take a good look at Gonzalo Montiel, Rafael Santos Borré and Nicolás de La Cruz. Three really good River players whose contracts are expiring this June.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Palmeiras hasn´t been the same after the Covid outbreak. It seems that the squad is really struggling physically. Against the best and most consistent team in South America, Palmeiras will have to show a level of football, they haven´t shown for some time now. 

European fans should take a good look at Gonzalo Montiel, Rafael Santos Borré and Nicolás de La Cruz. Three really good River players whose contracts are expiring this June.

Nice. I plan to watch at 12.30am this morning! 

Hoping for a good game but sounds like River may win from what you say...

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nice. I plan to watch at 12.30am this morning! 

Hoping for a good game but sounds like River may win from what you say...

Palmeiras has the players to win it and their coach Abel Ferreira, a portuguese, is very smart.

The likes of Gabriel Verón, Danilo, Matías Viña, Gabriel Menino and Patrick de Paula are big-time prospects and their more experienced players, such as Weverton, Luiz Adriano and Gustavo Gómez, are also really good. But River is so consistent and tough to beat. I think they are favorites, yes.  

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Don't forget Carrascal. I honestly think he has what it takes to be elite. Terrific talent.

That Palmeiras midfield formation really stands out for me. All three players are very young. Danilo is 19, Gabriel Menino is 20 and Patrick de Paula is 21. I thought Abel Ferreira would prefer more experienced players, such as Raphael Veiga and Zé Rafael, but he went for the kids. It makes sense because it gives Palmeiras a more conservative approach, Veiga and Zé Rafael are more offensive-minded than those other three players.

• Administrator

Had a look at where they're playing tonight. Went on maps and I had no idea Independiente and Racing Club's stadiums were literally right next to each other.  Reminds me of Everton/Liverpool a stone's throw away from each other. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Had a look at where they're playing tonight. Went on maps and I had no idea Independiente and Racing Club's stadiums were literally right next to each other.  Reminds me of Everton/Liverpool a stone's throw away from each other. 

Yes. That´s a brilliant rivalry as well. 

Have you watched "The Secret of Your Eyes"? It´s an argentinian movie, it´s not really about football, it´s about a crime, but there´s a really cool scene at Racing´s stadium. 

The writer of the book that the movie was based on is a die-hard Independiente fan, so he decided to make the bad guy of the story a Racing fan. 

• Administrator
Just now, El Profesor said:

Yes. That´s a brilliant rivalry as well. 

Have you watched "The Secret of Your Eyes"? It´s an argentinian movie, it´s not really about football, it´s about a crime, but there´s a really cool scene at Racing´s stadium. 

The writer of the book that the movie was based on is a die-hard Independiente fan, so he decided to make the bad guy of the story a Racing fan. 

Ha, clever!

Not seen it - will look out for it. Is it on Netflix or any other platform to access it?

I was just so shocked to see them literally next door to each other. Especially considering their stature. Nothing between them geographically! Which is the bigger club?

Archived