talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2020

football forum

Palmeiras have been the better side I think.

River have had more chances but besides that Carrascal chance at the start none of them have been that clear cut. Palmeiras have been gifted tons of space in the other half and are using that to their advantage. Brilliant tactical changes from Abel Ferreira.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Palmeiras have been the better side I think.

River have had more chances but besides that Carrascal chance at the start none of them have been that clear cut. Palmeiras have been gifted tons of space in the other half and are using that to their advantage. Brilliant tactical changes from Abel Ferreira.

Once their young midfielders settled, Palmeiras looked much more comfortable. 

Danilo, Gabriel Menino and especially Patrick de Paula have been really good.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Rony has been the best player on the pitch for me. His space investigating is what's winning the game for Palmeiras.

Also helps that River's marking has been embarrassing.

Lol What did Carrascal just do? Totally lost it.

4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Rony has been the best player on the pitch for me. His space investigating is what's winning the game for Palmeiras.

Also helps that River's marking has been embarrassing.

Yes, Rony has been great. River's defence have no answers to his pace.

This is a nightmare for River today. This could genuinely end 5-0 or more.

As I said, I honestly think they raised their ego's, because of all those extra passes in the box in the first half, something Binacional and Nacional both allowed them to do. Now that they are facing real opposition they can't just play around.

Theory but it's proven to have happened with other teams before, such as Chile after their 7-0 vs Mexico.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Surprised by River's attitude. They're the more experienced side on this one, but they really look fragile in terms of mentality.

Gallardo must be really frustrated with his players.

The answer lies with them having battered too many teams on the way here.

The "goleada syndrome" I'll call it. Chile, Germany and Bayern all suffered from it.

Proof that Borre isn't good enough for Europe. Every big game he fails to step up.

He's got a good scoring record but honestly I just don't see that much ability in his game. He also disappears when it most matters.

• Administrator

I fell asleep at half time. Not cos it was boring but I just couldn't physically stay up xD so I watched the 2nd half on record just now. 

What a half for Palmeiras. River definitely had the best of the first half but Palmeiras' game plan worked perfectly. Soak up pressure, be defensively organised, stay concentrated and take the chances when they come. Their game management when they scored each goal was well executed. 

River Plate would try to play too much down the middle and any time they got in to the box it wasn't sufficient enough and the chances weren't taken. 

8 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Brilliant goal by Luiz Adriano.

Held off the defender well and far too quick after. Funny because at times he looked lazy in first half. Walking around, not challenging for headers etc. But he was too strong and powerful for the goal and that seemed to give him a burst of life for rest of the game. 

Menino and Rony, for me. Energetic and made things tick for Palmeiras. 

I think De La Cruz still shone for River but no-one was on his level. He worked his arse off across the midfield but was let down by his teammates... 

8 hours ago, Mpache said:

Carrascal off. Wonderful player but his attitude always struck me as dodgy.

Lol What did Carrascal just do? Totally lost it.

... Especially by him! Massive rush of blood to the head. He stays on and it's a slightly different game as I doubt Palmeiras end the game with a clean sheet. The red card killed them and their game plan and they couldn't then break down Palmeiras. 

8 hours ago, Mpache said:

Proof that Borre isn't good enough for Europe. Every big game he fails to step up.

He's got a good scoring record but honestly I just don't see that much ability in his game. He also disappears when it most matters.

Yep, missed too many chances which should have been hitting the target. 

I wouldn't say 2nd leg is a 100% write off but I can't see Palmeiras surrendering the 3-goal lead. They worked their socks off off the ball today and it'll take a monumental effort to overcome that lead. If they play with good discipline and sensibility next week I can't see it being turned around. 

Just now, Stan said:

I wouldn't say 2nd leg is a 100% write off but I can't see Palmeiras surrendering the 3-goal lead. They worked their socks off off the ball today and it'll take a monumental effort to overcome that lead. If they play with good discipline and sensibility next week I can't see it being turned around. 

Good post but THIS is 100% correct. River have historically turned around 3 or 4 goals leads so many times. If not, then they've won by 3 in Brazil many times before, with the most notable example was 3-0 in Belo Horizonte vs Cruzeiro. It's in Palmeiras' hands, but if history speaks its difficult to write off River so easily.

Personally I don't see it as they are missing Carrascal for the second leg and I can see Palmeiras scoring at least once with their great home form, but you can't rule them out yet.

@Stan any plans to watch Boca vs Santos tonight?

If so keep an eye out on Sebastian Villa, Yeferson Soteldo and Kaio Jorge. All 3 really good talents who I'd expect to see in Europe soon.

Also, keep an eye out on Tevez. In Europe, most people were told he returned to Boca and wasn't the same. There is definitely truth in that, but the last 2 years have been his best since his return to Boca, and while still not the player he was, he is doing enough to finally lead his boyhood club to glory again.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Mpache said:

@Stan any plans to watch Boca vs Santos tonight?

If so keep an eye out on Sebastian Villa, Yeferson Soteldo and Kaio Jorge. All 3 really good talents who I'd expect to see in Europe soon.

Also, keep an eye out on Tevez. In Europe, most people were told he returned to Boca and wasn't the same. There is definitely truth in that, but the last 2 years have been his best since his return to Boca, and while still not the player he was, he is doing enough to finally lead his boyhood club to glory again.

Yeah probably. It's on a bit earlier than last nights game so should be able to watch more. (Australia vs India cricket is also on which might take precedence ;)

I watched Boca the other day vs River and Tevez shone. I think he's not the same because he's just older but he's definitely a standout player for them. He still has the skill and footwork and finishing. Just doesn't have the legs each game I guess. 

What are Santos like? They've got a game coming up against Sao Paulo which I guess is pretty huge? That's on Freesports here on Sunday so I'll be watching that too. 

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah probably. It's on a bit earlier than last nights game so should be able to watch more. (Australia vs India cricket is also on which might take precedence ;)

I watched Boca the other day vs River and Tevez shone. I think he's not the same because he's just older but he's definitely a standout player for them. He still has the skill and footwork and finishing. Just doesn't have the legs each game I guess. 

What are Santos like? They've got a game coming up against Sao Paulo which I guess is pretty huge? That's on Freesports here on Sunday so I'll be watching that too. 

I wasn't impressed with Santos when I've seen them this season, but I'll admit it's been mostly league games. Seen them once in the Libertadores this year and they were better there.

Kaio Jorge seems to have won a spot. He won the U17 World Cup last year and was a strong player for that Brazil squad. In my opinion he's done it deservedly as he is a good prospect. Marinho has been getting a lot of headlines lately and he's one of their best, but I reckon the top player is Yeferson Soteldo. He can have bad decision making at times but does more good than harm. Extremely talented

Definitely keen on this game, and I hope Boca wins as they are my Argentine team since childhood. Can't lead myself to be a supporter but have a huge soft spot for them.

10 hours ago, Mpache said:

From the little I've seen, and read about him, seems to be a Firmino-lite type of striker? A goal every three or so games, and has a very high work rate?

Seen Lazio were linked with him last summer, but merely for a backup role. If his contract does expires this summer, would probably be an inexpensive gamble for someone to take?

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

From the little I've seen, and read about him, seems to be a Firmino-lite type of striker? A goal every three or so games, and has a very high work rate?

Seen Lazio were linked with him last summer, but merely for a backup role. If his contract does expires this summer, would probably be an inexpensive gamble for someone to take?

Yeah he's kind of a playmaker these days. He's been much less lazy than when he arrived at Boca again, as he left Juventus on a high note and we all thought he would do a lot better on his return. As a result this is the best Boca could ask from him at his age, and he's more reliable now.

His key passing is his best aspect but he does still have a few goals in him.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Yeah he's kind of a playmaker these days. He's been much less lazy than when he arrived at Boca again, as he left Juventus on a high note and we all thought he would do a lot better on his return. As a result this is the best Boca could ask from him at his age, and he's more reliable now.

His key passing is his best aspect but he does still have a few goals in him.

Was asking about Borre ;)

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

Was asking about Borre ;)

Oops sorry xD

Europe has many tiers, teams and league each of different level, so he probably could make it in some bottom half European team. Honestly though I don't rate him very highly. He does have extremely high work rate but I wouldn't call him a Firmino-like forward. He has more goals in him (albeit not by much) and does some holding up but he tends to disappear in big moments and is very inconsistent in general. He's a hard working player but the quality and skill isn't that high in my opinion.

If he does end up in Europe's top 5 leagues, I expect it to be in the bottom half of Italy or Spain. I think he could fit in better there, but I don't see the same potential that I see in Carrascal or De La Cruz.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Santos is the surprise of the season. 

Sampaoli left the team after 2019 and the club hired the portuguese Jesualdo Ferreira. It didn't really work and many were projecting them as the "next Cruzeiro", a big club with massive debts that would end up being relegated. 

Instead, Jesualdo was fired, Cuca was hired in his place and Santos suddenly started to click. They're a solid team. The club is broke, so they have to count with a mix of experienced and young players. 

Lucas Veríssimo, who's already been sold to Benfica, is their best defender. 

Diego Pituca, their best midfielder,  is also being sold, to Japan. 

Upfront, they have two really good wingers, Marinho and Soteldo. 

Kaio Jorge is a highly-rated prospect and is the striker.

• Administrator

Yeah very cagey to an extent. Barely any good chances created.

Who's the RW for Boca continuing to blaze crosses high and wide off target?! Salvio? Very annoying.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah very cagey to an extent. Barely any good chances created.

Who's the RW for Boca continuing to blaze crosses high and wide off target?! Salvio? Very annoying.

Salvio yeah. All the best chances have come through the Tevez-Villa link.

Archived