talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

McCulloch Sacked; Steve Clarke Set for Kilmarnock

football forum

McGhee would be a horrendous, lazy and backward thinking appointment. Other names linked with the post include:

Mixu Paatelainen: Former manager, winning Manager of the Year in his previous spell. Only left to become Finland manager. But had a horrible spell at Dundee United last season, resulting in their shock relegation.

Gary Holt: Former Scottish Cup winning captain. Had a good spell at Falkirk and did well with a young team, left to become Norwich Assistant manager. Immediately available and currently the favourite.

James Fowler: Kilmarnock 'Hall of Fame' inductee. Had a mixed spell in charge at Queen of the South, and is now Assistant manager at St Mirren.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be quite surprised if McGhee did get this role.  Similar situation to Motherwell (same amount of points and an almost identical goal difference) so it would be a bizarre move from Kilmarnock if they were to give him the nod.

I genuinely thought that after being sacked by Motherwell, that would his last appointment in football management. His reputation in Scotland and England has plummeted after his recent jobs in both countries. He should be thankful he somehow is still involved in the national team with his continual outbursts at the SFA.

5 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

He should be thankful he somehow is still involved in the national team with his continual outbursts at the SFA.

His coat may well be on a shaky peg with that role as well.  Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that...

Kilmarnock have a lot of issues much higher than the managerial position. Looking at the club, it seems short term, cheap 'solutions' are their choice at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if they get lazy and just keep Lee McCulloch on to manage until the end of the season.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think it's far to say a few years ago it would have been unthinkable. No doubt he is looking at it like a stepping stone, but that's not a bad thing for Kilmarnock. The only way he'll get another 'big' job is for his time at Kilmarnock to be a success.

• 4 weeks later...

In his first four games, he's drawn away to Rangers and Celtic, and now today he has won away to Hearts. Even in his defeat to an in-form Hibs team, it seems that Kilmarnock played very well and did everything but score.

Archived