talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

I just realized something unsettling...

I was talking to a Chilean the other day who was spending his holidays here in Lima and he told me just as news reports that Chile will kick off in protests again in March. With 10 cases in their country, that is worrying. That could be a gamechanger.

According to him they calmed things down thanks to their holidays and it being summer or some shit but it is said that Chile will kick off in protests again sometime this month. Not to mention that winter is coming up...

UK decided not to move to delay phase yesterday over worry it could cause fatigue by doing so early and send businesses bust. Delay phase means no large gatherings, work from home where you can etc. Anticipated that once that starts it could last for a long time.

One thing they should have done is to make anyone with cold or flu symptoms lock themselves away. This is likely to blow up by someone thinking they can't and don't have it and cracking on with life. In South Korea 50 people in a call centre all caught the virus. Unless super carrier, someone must have turned up to work thinking nothing of what they had. In Italy quite clearly hundreds had it whilst thinking they couldn't possibly have it. That is the mindset that spreads this virus faster.

• Upvote 1

Also hearing in the UK you can't have a coronavirus test if you have the symptoms. You have to have been to one of the countries on their list or in contact with someone who has.

That seems outdated now. 

It should be South Korea style test everyone who sneezes. 

On 09/03/2020 at 17:50, Harvsky said:

Football stadiums closed for the next 2 weeks in Greece

School's in Missouri closing after absolute idiot family told to self quarantine but didn't want to miss the father-daughter ball.

Don't underestimate how the hyperpartisan aspects of the US could escalate the situation and make it one of the most affected locations. Trump's tweets do not get ignored by all. Have already seen reports of people calling the virus a democratic hoax perpetrated to drive an economic crisis to hurt trump. As a minimum they think it's a huge exaggeration that's hot a political element to it. So why would they buy into the hype and self quarantine if it hurts trump?

The biggest problem is that trump actually believes this to be true, so he will continue to perpetuate this view through any communications he has.

21 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Utter insanity. Why are people so stupid? Authorities and governments across the world have been very clear that washing your hands is enough and it makes a bigger difference than hand sanitiser for this particular disease anyway.

I'd like some mate honestly. I'd use it when I couldn't get to a sink. Like right now getting on the train, and again when I get off.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

UK decided not to move to delay phase yesterday over worry it could cause fatigue by doing so early and send businesses bust. Delay phase means no large gatherings, work from home where you can etc. Anticipated that once that starts it could last for a long time.

One thing they should have done is to make anyone with cold or flu symptoms lock themselves away. This is likely to blow up by someone thinking they can't and don't have it and cracking on with life. In South Korea 50 people in a call centre all caught the virus. Unless super carrier, someone must have turned up to work thinking nothing of what they had. In Italy quite clearly hundreds had it whilst thinking they couldn't possibly have it. That is the mindset that spreads this virus faster.

Have they sorted the statutory sick pay situation yet? I know a lot of people on zero hour contracts were worried that if they self-isolated and didn't work for two weeks or longer then they simply wouldn't be able to afford to live. I know there was talk of anybody self-isolating to get £90 a week or something but is that put in place yet? Last thing you need is people convincing themselves it's just a runny nose and a bad night's sleep when the real reason they've come to that conclusion is to reject the choice of staying off work because they can't afford to.

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Also hearing in the UK you can't have a coronavirus test if you have the symptoms. You have to have been to one of the countries on their list or in contact with someone who has.

That seems outdated now. 

It should be South Korea style test everyone who sneezes. 

That seems illogical at this stage. Given how quickly the virus spreads, let alone how quickly it's spread globally, to not test for symptoms seems counter-intuitive just because you haven't been to a country on a list.

Maybe they've given that instruction because of lack of testing kits/equipment or staff so they want to restrict or prevent overloading hospitals/GPs etc? But then you still have the potential of turning someone away who's contracted the virus through no fault of their own (i.e. not come directly in to contact with someone who's been to a listed country). 

As someone who works in the demat accounts department, watching the bloodbath in the market yesterday was gut wrenching. Since yesterday, I have probably sent hundreds of messages to our customers to not panic sell, while listening to responses from gutted folks who have lost a ton.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Have they sorted the statutory sick pay situation yet? I know a lot of people on zero hour contracts were worried that if they self-isolated and didn't work for two weeks or longer then they simply wouldn't be able to afford to live. I know there was talk of anybody self-isolating to get £90 a week or something but is that put in place yet? Last thing you need is people convincing themselves it's just a runny nose and a bad night's sleep when the real reason they've come to that conclusion is to reject the choice of staying off work because they can't afford to.

Sick pay can start from day 1. That's the only change I know of. Doubt they'll do much more right now. If things escalate then financially it is going to get very complicated for individuals and businesses. Civil service will be planning for that behind closed doors.

At the moment if your average pay is over a certain amount you get statutory sick pay, even if zero hours. Less than that you need to go through universal credit, so it isn't really any different to what it was before. 

• Thanks 1

I’m pretty unwell at the moment. Lots of people are but I’m putting it down to teaching 5 year olds and change of season. It’s a bit worrying though considering. However, we only have 6 cases in WA at the moment and none confirmed from within state contraction. 

I’ve got a student going to Bali (Indonesia) later this week, currently they’re only meant to self monitor on the way back, I hope they self isolate though...

Could be interesting to see what schools do. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I’m pretty unwell at the moment. Lots of people are but I’m putting it down to teaching 5 year olds and change of season. It’s a bit worrying though considering. However, we only have 6 cases in WA at the moment and none confirmed from within state contraction. 

I’ve got a student going to Bali (Indonesia) later this week, currently they’re only meant to self monitor on the way back, I hope they self isolate though...

Could be interesting to see what schools do. 

Bit early to start the gap years!

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I know :D

My boss goes to Bali today. What's the situation there or in that region? Many cases? @nudge

Why people go there baffles me. Indonesia would have thousands but doubt they have facilities and procedures (particularly in Bali) . Nudge may be able to say more.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know :D

My boss goes to Bali today. What's the situation there or in that region? Many cases? @nudge

Only 19 officially confirmed cases in the whole Indonesia, the government didn't disclose most of their locations. They are doing the same thing as most other countries in the region - test very few people and don't report much because their economy depends on tourism so they desperately try to brush it under the rug. 

ESr8RuNX0A4RDaN.jpg

• Haha 2

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Why people go there baffles me. Indonesia would have thousands but doubt they have facilities and procedures (particularly in Bali) . Nudge may be able to say more.

To be fair she booked this trip months and months ago and it already got moved twice (only by a day or two).

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Only 19 officially confirmed cases in the whole Indonesia, the government didn't disclose most of their locations. They are doing the same thing as most other countries in the region - test very few people and don't report much because their economy depends on tourism so they desperately try to brush it under the rug. 

ESr8RuNX0A4RDaN.jpg

Would WHO have anything to say about that? Very crafty!

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

To be fair she booked this trip months and months ago and it already got moved twice (only by a day or two).

Would WHO have anything to say about that? Very crafty!

I’d recommend any visitors to Bali self isolating when they come back. Particularly your boss who is likely to go through absolute monster hubs such as Dubai or KL. 

Although I am worried about my own situation but see how things progress. 

Edited by Toinho

• Subscriber

Not sure if it's to do with this coronavirus but the last 3 days when shopping the disinfectant Hand Wash lotion we buy for the bathroom and kitchen the shelves in Tesco's are practically empty, the same as kitchen rolls and a lot of other items the wife gets, someone mentioned panic buying the same as when we had the bad snowfall 5 years ago and we were snowed in and no bus services.   

• Subscriber

Football related but I will put this in here.

Quote.thumb.png.cdb1a3d58834826af0cb9e7fd6de26b8.png

Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis has coronavirus

Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis has coronavirus, the Championship club have confirmed.

Marinakis was at the City Ground for Forest's Championship fixture against Millwall on Friday.

FULL REPORT