talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I'm watching Racing vs Alianza. Behind closed doors ;) 

On Facebook ? I´m watching the Grenal. First time those rivals meet in Libertadores and it´ll probably be the last big match in Brazil for some time.

Edited by El Profesor
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

At this exact moment, Grêmio and Internacional are playing their Copa Libertadores match and there are 50.000 fans at Arena Grêmio. :52_fearful:

Well that's not awkward at all. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Profesor said:

On Facebook ? I´m watching the Grenal. First time those rivals meet in Libertadores and it´ll probably be the big last match in Brazil for some time.

Yeah, Thursdays are for Facebook watch.

Edited by Inti Brian
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Peru just suspended all flights to Europe and Asia. According to some Peruvians though, we aren't doing as much as the "first world countries" :dam:

To add to this, no new cases in Peru today. Let's hope things don't escalate. So far looking good though.

33 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Peru just suspended all flights to Europe and Asia. According to some Peruvians though, we aren't doing as much as the "first world countries" :dam:

You should probably close the brazilian border. 

Until yesterday there were 76 confirmed cases in Brazil, but today one single hospital in São Paulo has announced 60 new cases. Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo already have cases of community transmission. 

5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

You should probably close the brazilian border. 

Until yesterday there were 76 confirmed cases in Brazil, but today one single hospital in São Paulo has announced 60 new cases. Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo already have cases of community transmission. 

Nobody lives in Acre though :ph34r:

We definitely need to close and suspend all flights from Brazil. So far Peru has done an amazing job, I just hope the population doesn't begin lying.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

China with 4 new cases and 1 new death. Things are looking much better for them.

Most of the new cases in China lately have come in through people coming into China. I know a city that’s been in lockdown for a month was due to return back to normal after a week of no transmission. Then someone came back into the town (not sure how that works with the lockdown mind you). They recently went to Italy and when they entered they tested positive. Now the lockdown will end 2 weeks from Monday.

Now Peru is set to close the most crowded stores such as Gamarra (a bootleg clothing store that is very popular).

Let me remind you that we only have 22 cases. I'm hoping it's not a little too late with how compact Lima can be, but the reaction was instantaneous and I can only praise Martin Vizcarra for this.

7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

.kids and pets pass on diseases rapidly as poor hygiene if we close schools who will provide child care while parents work? Most likely grandparents  and that’s the most vulnerable for influenza. So we could be pouring fuel on the fire. 

The closing of schools is grounded in data. Infections in the local community are at their lowest point during school holidays and spike dramatically as soon as kids go back to school. This is why schools across the world are closed. 

The UK government says we are in delay phase now. It looks more like what we are delaying is the economic impact rather than the actual virus.

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah that makes sense; but I think it's a very risky gamble considering that the course of the illness can be relatively long even in healthy people and that we don't know much about the immunity after recovery - there's some evidence that reinfections do happen (but it could be due to testing failures instead of actual reinfection so it's hard to tell) which would suggest that the duration of immunity could be shorter than we'd expect it to be. Also there's a huge risk of overwhelming the healthcare system to a degree where it's not able to meet the needs of everyone. Your current data doesn't look too bad in that sense; only 20 cases in a serious or critical condition so far apparently; worth keeping an eye on how that develops in the next days.

So many unknowns; I definitely wouldn't want to be the one calling the shots in this situation to be honest.

Do you think that because seasonal flu we’re more likely to handle it better than other countries in the west given we’re 2 weeks from April the traditional end of flu season? 

9 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

And yet the first worlders in third world countries are praising the way they are handling it even though South America has clearly done a much better job.

Some people need to appreciate their own countries even if the standard of living isn't as high.

I guess Africa is doing even better than South America given how few cases they have?

I'm not disputing action being taken, and Peru being ahead of the curve but I think there's also a more natural barrier in South America and that any model would have likely showed South America and Africa as two continents with the slowest initial uptake of the virus.

10 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

USA is so opinionated and gets all the stick. They've done pretty poorly in this whole situation, but the UK have done worse and are looking to become more vurnerable. Some shocking decisions made by them and yet the USA in seen in a worse light just because they talk too much.

I disagree. You're the first person I've heard express that view tbh. Both countries are still in the early part of the exponential ramp up but I think the British government are doing what others are doing, monitoring closely and acting at the right moment, albeit slightly more bullishly.

In the case of the US it seems the reason there is a lesser mobilisation of testing facilities stems from decisions by trump early on not to pursue an aside early testing regime for fear it would discover more cases and thus be more political attacks from democrats. It's a struggle to see how they will cope to even measure/appreciate/understand the scale of their problem.

The US is less densely populated than the UK so it has that advantage of social distancing is implemented but it's got a more problematic healthcare system and based on what I've seen so far I'd suspect they have a bigger problem than they currently know, and the man at the top had not yet realised any error on his part and thus may not change course.

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

The closing of schools is grounded in data. Infections in the local community are at their lowest point during school holidays and spike dramatically as soon as kids go back to school. This is why schools across the world are closed. 

The UK government says we are in delay phase now. It looks more like what we are delaying is the economic impact rather than the actual virus.

Kids are the main carriers, because of poor hygiene standards.

I agree with the government’s / medical advisers point that if we stop too early as the disease peaks people will have gotten bored. Look at the toilet roll panic, people are stupid. 

I think that the medical professionals advising the government are prepared to let this run it’s course although they would never actually admit that. 

the cynic in me thinks that 15% eradication of the most needy in society and most draining on the NHS via a pandemic would be a result if You’re struggling to fund a public health behemoth. Also free up lots of council houses to solve a housing crisis, sounds cruel but the cull could be looked at as not a bad think if you’re the one balancing resources.