talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Kids are the main carriers, because of poor hygiene standards.

I agree with the government’s / medical advisers point that if we stop too early as the disease peaks people will have gotten bored. Look at the toilet roll panic, people are stupid. 

I think that the medical professionals advising the government are prepared to let this run it’s course although they would never actually admit that. 

the cynic in me thinks that 15% eradication of the most needy in society and most draining on the NHS via a pandemic would be a result if You’re struggling to fund a public health behemoth. Also free up lots of council houses to solve a housing crisis, sounds cruel but the cull could be looked at as not a bad think if you’re the one balancing resources. 

I hate this but I also find it incredibly hard not to believe that that's their view on it.

I've tried three times to try and formulate the right words to express how appalling it is that a country with our resources, technology and economy probably would see a decimation of people that it's their job as the government to help as a preferable method of balancing the books rather than taxing their billionaire friends a tiny bit more money but the last thing I want is to turn this into a partisan political debate.

So their thinking is that they’re beyond containing the virus now (not that they tried, £££) and they’re hoping 60% of the population can develop corona so there can be a herd immunity to prevent a second spike in winter...which also means a lot of vulnerable people will die.

Grrrrrrr8

• Subscriber

The behavioural science thing apparently suggests that pulling the plug on schools and major events too early will lead to fatigue and people not taking it seriously enough to do it for as long as is necessary. I could accept that a few days ago, but I think it's becoming obvious now that people are getting scared and will stay at home if they're advised to.

If money-grabbing sporting institutions like the Premier League and the FIA are sacrificing millions for the sake of playing ball on coronavirus then it's got to be the right thing to do.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The behavioural science thing apparently suggests that pulling the plug on schools and major events too early will lead to fatigue and people not taking it seriously enough to do it for as long as is necessary. I could accept that a few days ago, but I think it's becoming obvious now that people are getting scared and will stay at home if they're advised to.

If money-grabbing sporting institutions like the Premier League and the FIA are sacrificing millions for the sake of playing ball on coronavirus then it's got to be the right thing to do.

They were happy to play games this weekend until they were backed into a corner. Looking to be announced that games will be suspended for a month. 

Screenshot_20200313_103244.jpg

Also, I'm curious as to what the EU have done to try and contain the spread. Haven't heard a peep from them. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

They were happy to play games this weekend until they were backed into a corner. Looking to be announced that games will be suspended for a month. 

Screenshot_20200313_103244.jpg

Also, I'm curious as to what the EU have done to try and contain the spread. Haven't heard a peep from them. 

The Premier League were advised by the government yesterday along with the rest of us that there was no reason to cancel fixtures. Now they are set to anyway, taking more responsibility than the government again. Man City and Arsenal already postponed their game, as have Arsenal and Brighton this weekend, which the Premier League has to agree to as well.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

The Premier League were advised by the government yesterday along with the rest of us that there was no reason to cancel fixtures. Now they are set to anyway, taking more responsibility than the government again. Man City and Arsenal already postponed their game, as have Arsenal and Brighton this weekend, which the Premier League has to agree to as well.

I'd say they have been forced to, as opposed to taking responsibility. 

Responsibility would be calling off the fixtures in line with rest of Europe as opposed to letting events go ahead. 

• Upvote 3

@Mel81xs city right now.

Couple of other states announcing schools to be shut down.

@Premier League thing

Agree with Stan. It's clear the league only took this call after they were forced by Arteta, Odoi, etc testing positive. 

They were okay with it continuing otherwise.

Also, saw the news that England's cricket series with Sri Lanka is now cancelled, with the English players expected to return to UK.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

Things are starting to go down in Holland, with restrictions on events of more than 100 people, urging people to work from home when they can, and to avoid contact with the elderly and other vulnerable groups. Curiously, unlike France and Belgium they haven't yet closed the schools as they fear it would put too much pressure on parents who cannot work from home, against too little benefit as children seem largely unaffected by it. The latter seems a bit odd to me as children themselves may not be affected much, but from what I understand they can still easily spread the disease to more vulnerable groups. In any case, I expect them to carry it over the weekend and close the schools by Monday.

On another note, I have a friend who lives in Beijing and he says things are relatively good there now. The virus seems to be on the retreat again, and he said he made it through the lockdown just fine. He also said all the reports in Western media about 'China imprisoning its own population' made him laugh, as you can easily still move about the city. There are guards around, but they mainly just sleep by open gates and you only wake them up when you need his help because you lost your keys. xD

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Which is why the data shows when they are at school infectious illnesses spread in the local community at a faster rate

Can you say that to our government? I missed Wednesday because I was super sick. Today kids coughing and spluttering everywhere. Sent one home. I have a student going you indonesia next week and they are just meant to monitor upon return currently..I am  never going to recover at this rate!!

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Do you think that because seasonal flu we’re more likely to handle it better than other countries in the west given we’re 2 weeks from April the traditional end of flu season? 

Handle it better in what sense? Less strain on the healthcare system? 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

So their thinking is that they’re beyond containing the virus now (not that they tried, £££) and they’re hoping 60% of the population can develop corona so there can be a herd immunity to prevent a second spike in winter...which also means a lot of vulnerable people will die.

Grrrrrrr8

We are still having 35 degree days. Not looking forward to our winter.

• Subscriber
Just now, Toinho said:

Can you say that to our government? I missed Wednesday because I was super sick. Today kids coughing and spluttering everywhere. Sent one home. I have a student going you indonesia next week and they are just meant to monitor upon return currently..I am  never going to recover at this rate!!

Can't you get a sick leave? :o

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Can't you get a sick leave? :o

I only have limited leave and the preparation I need to do to even have one day off is hours of work. It’s not like I can just have a day off and the kids run the class themselves! Also, haven’t been to the doctors as I am getting better..

I am hoping we end the term a week or two early and have our holidays to try and stem any potential spreads in schools. 

Edited by Toinho
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber

Our daughter is fuming, went into Tesco's for toilet roll and they had run out, these people stockpiling is stupid, if you run out of bog roll do what our mum & dad did when rationing was still around after WWII, use bloody newspaper cut up, it might be rough on the old arse but it works.

Quote.thumb.png.8318a5904d9c1507d11d72fc34461e70.png

Here's why the coronavirus has people panic-buying toilet roll

GettyImages-1205060170.jpg?crop=982:524,

UK supermarkets are limiting the amount of certain items customers can buy in an attempt to prevent panic-buying from cleaning them out.

Pasta, hand soap, long-life milk and toilet paper have all made the list in certain stores.

As the coronavirus continues to rapidly spread, reports of panic-buying have emerged from all over the world.

Toilet paper, in particular, has been in the spotlight after a video of people fighting over rolls of it in an Australian supermarket went viral.

Edinburgh Evening News

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Grrrrrrr8

To add to that, noises from the World Health Organisation are suggesting it would take years to get herd immunity without dicking your own health care system and having the maximum number of deaths as a result.

UK is effectively acting as the control group in this experiment.