talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

The theme of Western governments being like "let's not get carried away, this isn't necessary yet" turning into "okay actually we definitely need to do that" in the space of about 24 hours continues.

I still think we should jump forward a few steps instead of waiting for things to get as bad as Italy and Spain before we put into place the same measures as Italy and Spain.

Again I think they're forced in to doing this when you have a Tory MP sending an email out to the party saying all House of Commons events will be cancelled. Alright for them to do that while the rest of the instruction for the country is to carry on as normal pretty much xD

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Again I think they're forced in to doing this when you have a Tory MP sending an email out to the party saying all House of Commons events will be cancelled. Alright for them to do that while the rest of the instruction for the country is to carry on as normal pretty much xD

But this comes barely 24 hours after they stood there and said the science says there's no reason to stop large gatherings of people. I swear they said something about it not getting passed on that much in large crowds as well.

Edited by RandoEFC

Yup - I reckon as of tomorrow or Monday the flights might get suspended. Meaning I might be stuck here a little longer.

I am a Canadian citizen so they might make an exemption to those people knowing how Canada functions. This means depending on what happens I'll either be stuck here or forced to be quarantined.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

But this comes barely 24 hours after they stood there and said the science says there's no reason to stop large gatherings of people. I swear they said something about it not getting passed on that much in large crowds as well.

All the first world countries (with the exception of the first world Eastern Europeans and maybe New Zealand) have handled this appallingly. I actually think Canada has been extremely lucky in only having less than 250 cases. We've not been quite as bad as the USA but we've still been pretty damn bad.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I know mate. Seems like a right shit show all over the place. 

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Canada has been far greater than the USA since 9/11.

It's like you try your hardest to come up with a more bizarre comment each time you post. No one cares about such irrelevant dick measuring here Brian, and no, I'm not obsessed, it's just a truly bizarre comment.

Edited by Machado
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Machado said:

It's like you try your hardest to come up with a more bizarre comment each time you post. No one cares about such irrelevant dick measuring here Brian, and no, I'm not obsessed, it's just a truly bizarre comment.

In what way? That you disagree or because I make this a "dick measuring contest" as you put it?

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

In what way? That you disagree or because I make this a "dick measuring contest" as you put it?

In the way that it's petty, out of place and nonspecific. There's nothing to disagree with. It just reads as some silly one liner Trump would be proud of.

Just now, Machado said:

In the way that it's petty, out of place and nonspecific. There's nothing to disagree with. It just reads as some silly one liner Trump would be proud of.

Not really petty. Out of place, maybe. It's not a very popular opinion though despite the facts pointing to the better country being up north. 

Petty is complaining about a harmless comment that is almost factually true. If you think it's out of place, it might be. Doesn't shock me that the country with by far the better health care is working on a solution to things.

I've been very critical of how this crisis has been handled in Canada but we've not done everything wrong. My whole life the country has taken initiative in things they aren't involved in.

@Dr. Gonzo

I just remembered something that might interest you. Below this grave, there are six bodies in the Arctic Permafrost (Longyearbyen in Svalbard) that hold the only Spanish Flu samples in the world.

The result of this has made it so your body cannot be buried on the island if you die.

ac50f3065bbaf32583d0687c02d4a9ba.jpg

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/it-is-against-the-law-to-die-in-this-town-for-very-good-reason/

10 more cases in Peru raising the total to 38. It's inevitable but I hope the cancellation of everything keeps slowing the spread. 

I've already made clear that I think we've taken good measurements to try and stop this. However, we're not done yet and Vizcarra should just put everyone on lock down til the all clear (if possible of course).

Also @Berserker first death in Argentina

Countries that are on lockdown.

Italy - 17,660 cases and 1,266 deaths. Lockdown started March 9th.

China (Hubei Province) - 81,000 cases and 3,100 deaths. Lockdown started January 23rd.

El Salvador - 0 cases and 0 deaths. Lockdown started March 11th.

20 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

10 more cases in Peru raising the total to 38. It's inevitable but I hope the cancellation of everything keeps slowing the spread. 

I've already made clear that I think we've taken good measurements to try and stop this. However, we're not done yet and Vizcarra should just put everyone on lock down til the all clear (if possible of course).

Also @Berserker first death in Argentina

First death was like 10 days ago, i had already mentioned it.

I´m not sure there´s a country in the world more ill-prepared to face the coronavirus than Venezuela: 

- Today, airports officials in Caracas were wearing masks, but there was no running water and no soap in the airport bathrooms;  

- WHO announced on Wednesday that there are only 3000 test kits for coronavirus in the entire country;

- According to a report, in all Venezuela there are only 206 ICU beds and of those only 102 have ventilators, 50% of those are in Caracas;  

- 11 eleven venezuelan states have 0 ventilators;

- Just a quick reminder: Venezuela has a population of almost 30 million people.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

I´m not sure there´s a country in the world more ill-prepared to face the coronavirus than Venezuela: 

- Today, airports officials in Caracas were wearing masks, but there was no running water and no soap in the airport bathrooms;  

- WHO announced on Wednesday that there are only 3000 test kits for coronavirus in the entire country;

- According to a report, in all Venezuela there are only 206 ICU beds and of those only 102 have ventilators, 50% of those are in Caracas;  

- 11 eleven venezuelan states have 0 ventilators;

- Just a quick reminder: Venezuela has a population of almost 30 million people.

Not only that but the Venezuelan exodus is still very much ongoing. That could hurt the other countries as well. I can't see Maduro do anything here.

6 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

All the first world countries (with the exception of the first world Eastern Europeans and maybe New Zealand) have handled this appallingly. I actually think Canada has been extremely lucky in only having less than 250 cases. We've not been quite as bad as the USA but we've still been pretty damn bad.

Still doesn't stop them from looking down upon us or straight up writing lies, case in point British Economist Jim O'Neil's recent comments or Independent's fake coverage.

On a serious note, there is a reason why developing or third world nations are handling this better.

1) We are used to such situations. Here we dealt with worst diseases like Nipah virus or Encephalitis. We learned from them and reformed our system. Made it stronger. Doesn't mean we will escape Corona's wrath, but it means we are better prepared to handle it. 

2) It's easier to give out harsher orders in developing countries to public than in first world nations. Easier to shut down places and put in restrictions. Can't see that happening easily in first world countries, without people crying freedom and rights and standing up against governments.

9 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Still doesn't stop them from looking down upon us or straight up writing lies, case in point British Economist Jim O'Neil's recent comments or Independent's fake coverage.

On a serious note, there is a reason why developing or third world nations are handling this better.

1) We are used to such situations. Here we dealt with worst diseases like Nipah virus or Encephalitis. We learned from them and reformed our system. Made it stronger. Doesn't mean we will escape Corona's wrath, but it means we are better prepared to handle it. 

2) It's easier to give out harsher orders in developing countries to public than in first world nations. Easier to shut down places and put in restrictions. Can't see that happening easily in first world countries, without people crying freedom and rights and standing up against governments.

100%. Peru got hit hard by Swine Flu a few years ago, and the Zika outbreak is also in fresh memory. We are also dealing with a Dengue outbreak with over 3000 cases in the Amazon. 

However, that said I have praised Peru for our immediate reaction to the outbreak as opposed to the other countries, but today things have been a bit worse. 10 new cases and we still haven't banned work yet. Obviously a bit tougher with some of the poorer population not really being able to afford this, but the cases are beginning to rise unsettlingly.

We aren't really prepared for a big outbreak. The medical system is terrible and the doctors are untrained for a situation like this, but we are taking good measures to prevent this. From the looks of it, so are India. I have been pleasantly surprised with you having such few cases in a population as big as China and being near it as well. 

So yeah I agree with everything you said, however then you have Brazil just making a mess of the whole thing. 

Edited by Inti Brian

After the humiliation of the UK government response internationally and due to organisations taking action into their own hands, the government are now going to be taking more severe measures on Monday.

They're going to ban mass gatherings over a certain number, number to be decided this weekend. Recommendation is going to be work from home if possible. Other measures might also come out.

I'm not sure, South America in general is never effected by whatever happens in rest of the world. People in Asia/poorer countries are more prone to bacterial infections and our immune system is different that of Europeans, living in sub hygienic conditions has raised our natural immunity, less exposure to outside world also

Environment also but countries like Lebanon, Greece, Cyprus who have a similar environment to Italy are much less effected so how they handled it is also a factor.

I won't draw a pattern for it, it might change it's epicenter again and seeing how Iran who has a great health care system in Asia and they have faced SARS and MERS who have a freaking high fatality rate quite a times has been such badly effected by this.