talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Good news in UK. Mass home test kits that will tell you in 15 minutes if you have it or have had it could be a week or two away. Amazon will deliver kits and chemists will sell them. Crucial to coming out of lockdown.

Just out curiosity how will anyone be able to collate that data from each individual that gets tested??? 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's exactly what I've been working on for the last few days haha. Any idea who's the manufacturer and what kind of test it is?

Not sure on manufacturer but it is finger prick blood test which checks for a particular antibody I believe.

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just out curiosity how will anyone be able to collate that data from each individual that gets tested??? 

Probably be relying on you telling them online or over the phone.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Not sure on manufacturer but it is finger prick blood test which checks for a particular antibody I believe.

I’m thick as fuck, even though I have a ‘medical science’ background so please forgive me. Do these tests differentiate between the two different Covid strains? I’ve read about people having a natural immunity (so to speak), but what happens if you’ve dodged one strain but come across the other?

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's exactly what I've been working on for the last few days haha. Any idea who's the manufacturer and what kind of test it is?

Stop drinking whisky and get working! 

😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I have to ask if they are set up for such an event??? Who do you phone with that info?? In order to get ourselves out of lockdown we need to be sure it's in decline or at least steadying and not getting worse so you are going to be relying on thousands of households with hundreds and thousands of people not only needing those kits available but doing the right thing and notifying the relevant people with that information... Don't get me wrong the kits will be a massive help but if the information is completely mismanaged then I don't see how we could be sure we are heading in the right direction... 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m thick as fuck, even though I have a ‘medical science’ background

That's not worrying in the slightest..... I hope you have never blagged a job using that 'Medical Science' background of yours.... 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I have to ask if they are set up for such an event??? Who do you phone with that info?? In order to get ourselves out of lockdown we need to be sure it's in decline or at least steadying and not getting worse so you are going to be relying on thousands of households with hundreds and thousands of people not only needing those kits available but doing the right thing and notifying the relevant people with that information... Don't get me wrong the kits will be a massive help but if the information is completely mismanaged then I don't see how we could be sure we are heading in the right direction... 

I'd be surprised if they didn't put something in place. You don't need someone on the end of the phone so that should be straight forward button pressing.

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m thick as fuck, even though I have a ‘medical science’ background so please forgive me. Do these tests differentiate between the two different Covid strains? I’ve read about people having a natural immunity (so to speak), but what happens if you’ve dodged one strain but come across the other?

Nudge probably knows best but I believe tests usually look for what is least likely to mutate. Something like that. No real idea though :4_joy:

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Thanks. Must be one of those IgG/IgM lateral flow assay rapid tests. It's quite interesting as using immunoassays allows for not just diagnosing an active infection but also providing historic information about viral exposure. Please let me know if you find out the manufacturer. 

I assume it is this one...

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rSPT0HtCmrsJ:https://www.alphabiolabs.co.uk/workplace-testing-services/coronavirus-testing-kit/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Their website is down because so many people have tried to get on there. The link is a Google cache link and might not function properly.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

No; what they do is detect the presence of immunoglobulin G (IgG) and immunoglobulin M (IgM) which are the main antibodies produced by your body as a reaction to the viral antigen. So the strain essentially doesn't matter. What's good about the combined IgG/IgM tests is that they differentiate between the two antibodies allowing to identify if it's an early or middle/late infection so it can be used for diagnosing people with mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.  

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Rab said:

I assume it is this one...

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rSPT0HtCmrsJ:https://www.alphabiolabs.co.uk/workplace-testing-services/coronavirus-testing-kit/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Their website is down because so many people have tried to get on there. The link is a Google cache link and might not function properly.

Cheers; have it on my database already hehe. The sensitivity and specificity of their tests are decent although they seem to not be that sensitive to the IgM antibody so might struggle to diagnose early stages of the infection.

10 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

You’d be surprised.....

Well, If you don't mind based on the below information I will be taking all my medical/science advice from Chief Science Officer @nudge and not Chekov who claimed he was a Science Officer but never saw him once do anything science related…. 

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thanks. Must be one of those IgG/IgM lateral flow assay rapid tests. It's quite interesting as using immunoassays allows for not just diagnosing an active infection but also providing historic information about viral exposure. Please let me know if you find out the manufacturer. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

No; what they do is detect the presence of immunoglobulin G (IgG) and immunoglobulin M (IgM) which are the main antibodies produced by your body as a reaction to the viral antigen. So the strain essentially doesn't matter. What's good about the combined IgG/IgM tests is that they differentiate between the two antibodies allowing to identify if it's an early or middle/late infection so it can be used for diagnosing people with mild symptoms or not symptoms at all.  

• Haha 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

And has decided to spread it here. He can completely get to fuck.

Was odd cos they mentioned he might have picked it up doing engagements in recent weeks... Which begs the question why is he out doing that in this climate at his age? Odd they'd choose to send him out meeting people with the potential of picking it up... 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I heard he's isolating at Balmoral with COVID-19.

While Prince Andrew is at Windsor with Jennifer-14 

Feel like I've heard that somewhere else 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

5210 new confirmed cases and 683 new deaths in Italy. Still many deaths but the increase in daily cases continues to fall; fourth day in a row now! And that's with more tests performed than in previous days. Seems that after two weeks we're indeed seeing the expected impact of the lockdown after all! 

:Italy:

• Upvote 1