talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

He said he is working from home, aye, No 10 with all the mod cons and staff waiting on him hand and foot. :coffee:

Yes, but maybe he hasn't been washing his hands as frequently as he claimed he was going to do.:35_thinking::22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Administrator

Didn't Boris go around hospitals shaking hands with patients playing down this virus lol

Oh dear. 

What about everyone he's now come in to contact with? Anyone he's been near in those conferences/daily updates? 

Shock horror, the man who pushed for a herd immunity programme & shook the hands of people with coronavirus, after seeing what happened to Italy, when the rest of the world was going into lockdown has the virus.

Obviously don't wish him any harm but fuck me the incompetence of his leadership throughout this crisis has been staggering (but also completely unsurprising)

Edited by Danny

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has coronavirus now as well. Not surprising. The government aren't exactly staying at home in isolation and no doubt advisors meet with people who've been on the front line.

He was shown pictured only a few days ago doing those deliveries to Hospitals as well.

It's just a personification of clusterfuckery. 

• Subscriber

I mean, on one hand it can happen to anyone. On the other hand, the prime minister and actual health secretary catching coronavirus is just about the perfect expression of how poorly this government has failed to understand this crisis and how to deal with it. It's one thing struggling to get the message across to the country who don't want to believe it but a whole other thing to fail to take the precautions as the actual leader of the country to stay healthy yourself.

41 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I mean, on one hand it can happen to anyone. On the other hand, the prime minister and actual health secretary catching coronavirus is just about the perfect expression of how poorly this government has failed to understand this crisis and how to deal with it. It's one thing struggling to get the message across to the country who don't want to believe it but a whole other thing to fail to take the precautions as the actual leader of the country to stay healthy yourself.

I dunno. Governance was never going to isolate and work from home using Microsoft Teams conference calling. No political leader in times of fear was going to deliver a press conference to the nation via webcam in their pyjama's. If emergency services carry on politicians will as well. It's part of the job. 

Rather than interpreting it as an example of some incompetence it should be an example of what happens when you carry on with life. If outbreak areas are anything to go by then this is going to spread among those who can't isolate. Key services. There's no choice there. Everyone else needs to lock away to give them a better chance.

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

Hmm I don't know. Like people have mentioned, shaking peoples hands at one of the hospitals where there were known coronavirus patients isn't exactly good leadership and if our government had taken the time to take this seriously at an earlier stage I think the prime minister would have known better than to do that and essentially brag about it afterwards. I also dont really know why parliament has stayed open as long as it has even if they were practicing social distancing at PMQs this week.

I think the governance has been better since they really began to understand what they were up against but it took them too long to do that. They've known about the outbreak since January yet they were too busy debating whether or not to make Big Ben bong on January 31st when they could have been preparing us for this. Instead we got to early March and our government was talking about herd immunity as a viable strategy to the bemusement of the rest of the developed world.

It's not exactly reassuring in any way when the two people most responsible for fighting this thing in the UK have caught it themselves but to me it isn't surprising because our government seem to have misunderstood and underestimated this virus at every turn so far and are now only just looking as if there's some sort of plan to get a handle on it.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hmm I don't know. Like people have mentioned, shaking peoples hands at one of the hospitals where there were known coronavirus patients isn't exactly good leadership and if our government had taken the time to take this seriously at an earlier stage I think the prime minister would have known better than to do that and essentially brag about it afterwards. I also dont really know why parliament has stayed open as long as it has even if they were practicing social distancing at PMQs this week.

Is there actually any hard evidence that was true? We know the guy is a bumbling buffoon at times so you're going off his odd words about it. We know he shook hands with the staff, medical staff who at that point have no excuse about why they were shaking people's hands, but it was denied by no.10 that he shook hands with patients. This was also over 3 weeks ago so he hasn't got it from that.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think the governance has been better since they really began to understand what they were up against but it took them too long to do that. They've known about the outbreak since January yet they were too busy debating whether or not to make Big Ben bong on January 31st when they could have been preparing us for this. Instead we got to early March and our government was talking about herd immunity as a viable strategy to the bemusement of the rest of the developed world.

It's not exactly reassuring in any way when the two people most responsible for fighting this thing in the UK have caught it themselves but to me it isn't surprising because our government seem to have misunderstood and underestimated this virus at every turn so far and are now only just looking as if there's some sort of plan to get a handle on it.

Remember when you say "they" in this matter you're really talking about SAGE. The scientists, academics and experts that are advising the government. Some of whom with the highest level of education possible and decades of experience. SAGE was very split on what to do. The government backed one of the viewpoints from SAGE. Yes they have a final say and someone else may have backed another, but it's way to easy to pretend what happened here as all down to political clowns who didn't take it seriously.