talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Now China are reporting this as a "foreign virus" in their media, writing headlines such as "Beware of a second outbreak started by foreign garbage.” while you have people there being racially abused for having blue eyes. 

We all know how racist the Chinese are when in their own backyard, just ask any black person who visits their country(if you walked through the streets with a black kid, they'd all take pictures of them!!!!), but this just takes the piss. They just can't take responsibility for their own fuck up can they? This whole situation is entirely and 100% their fault and nobody should forget it. Whether their new wave of cases are imported or not, it's all their fault.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

One issue is that so many people never took it seriously early on. They were  still out and about and attending clubs and other social gatherings. 

This the problem everywhere, unfortunately.

@topic

We have begun to see a spike here in India, thanks to people's continued stupidity.

On aside note, nice explanation of a simple concept by a scientist who is currently working on Malaria and Tuberculosis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think I’m right in saying that Germany don’t record covid  as the cause of death they record the underlying issue to the figures are skewed.

Don't think that has actually been confirmed. The WHO have guidelines on reporting. I'd be surprised if Germany aren't following them.

Though I believe the UK aren't recording coronavirus deaths unless it happens in a hospital. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

A shame new Zealand aren't on there. Is anyone other than Australia posting attention to what they've done?

Gone very very hard and very early to a 3 week total shutdown even when zero fatalities nationally. Seem to be trying to totally stamp out corona and then go close to bank to normal... 

That will be done extreme of the Anglo world results set I'm guessing.

Edit. Just realised it's a death curve so if course they aren't on it

Some Mediterranean islands similarly locked down hard and fast a couple of weeks ago.

In Cyprus you're not even allowed outside for exercise. All flights were banned. Nationals being brought back on government chartered flights were taken into the mountains and quarantined in hotels for 2 weeks. Businesses have to shut or owners face jail time. It seems to be working for them. Their peak is coming and likely low.

Almost overnight a couple of weeks ago Malta decided every tourist on the island isn't allowed out of their hotel room.

7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

One issue is that so many people never took it seriously early on. They were  still out and about and attending clubs and other social gatherings. 

It's not easy for people to simply stop living their lives though and with it being a unique experience for many, especially in Europe, people don't realise the severity of it until it actually becomes a problem. It also happened so quickly and was impossible to stop. Other countries acted quicker once the virus arrived there but they were also able to learn from other country's mistakes.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

20200329_095430.thumb.jpg.cff103c947277f92e4c5e589bf52c129.jpg

This is spot on to be honest.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Our son has just got back from doing some shopping for us and he said he avoided Tescos as they were only allowing one shopper in at a time, shop, then leave before the next person is allowed in and he said the queue was stretching from the back of the store's car park and onto the footpath way back, similar to this below.

download.thumb.png.dd8b2a3cdd6afd37b5750515feb3b4aa.png

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

A new virus is reported, China puts millions of people under quarantine.

Eastern Asia (a week later and with few own cases): this is serious, let's implement containment measures early on, even if it's restricting personal freedoms. 

Europe (two and half months later and with hundreds if not thousands infected in their own countries): let's gather in thousands for a Smurf festival, go on a holiday because it's cheap now, oh and don't forget to get that last cheeseburger before they close the joint because my non essential personal needs are obviously more important than anything else. 

xD

We had plenty of time and there was enough information to react in order to contain it. Both the politicians and the general public screwed up completely. The former for downplaying the threat and failing to implement the required measures early on, the latter for being ignorant and unwilling to make small personal "sacrifices" for the benefit of society. 

Watched a feature on 60 minutes tonight in Australia. The focus was what did China know when, and what did they tell the WHO and when.

Documents and evidence suggesting a problem first appearing in early to mid November, with approximately 6 weeks of keeping it under wraps, followed by advising the WHO around New year's but assuring them it wasn't transmittable from person to person, followed by using a lockdown in late Jan days after 5 million people from Hubei province jetting off for 

It's not the appropriate time to focus on the China aspect of all this, but their wrongdoing is massive, and the opportunity to ensure this thing never entered these countries in the first place was lost due to China.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Watched a feature on 60 minutes tonight in Australia. The focus was what did China know when, and what did they tell the WHO and when.

Documents and evidence suggesting a problem first appearing in early to mid November, with approximately 6 weeks of keeping it under wraps, followed by advising the WHO around New year's but assuring them it wasn't transmittable from person to person, followed by using a lockdown in late Jan days after 5 million people from Hubei province jetting off for 

It's not the appropriate time to focus on the China aspect of all this, but their wrongdoing is massive, and the opportunity to ensure this thing never entered these countries in the first place was lost due to China.

I didn't say anything about China's lack of wrongdoings though, did I? The point was that Europe still had almost three months to react and try to contain the outbreak as much as possible but failed miserably. Look at how South Korea, Japan or Singapore managed to keep it under control despite having much less time due to being the first countries to be affected heavily - and that without having to go into a lockdown and ruin their economies. All thanks to aggressive testing from the very start, contact tracing and isolation, and thorough implementation of social distancing (and mask wearing) by a society that is mature and disciplined enough to follow the guidelines. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Our son has just got back from doing some shopping for us and he said he avoided Tescos as they were only allowing one shopper in at a time, shop, then leave before the next person is allowed in and he said the queue was stretching from the back of the store's car park and onto the footpath way back, similar to this below.

All supermarkets are doing this, or should be implementing it if not.

If he wants to avoid anything, avoid weekend. Might as well do the 'big shop' during the week when it's guaranteed to be less busy. I went Thursday afternoon. A small queue outside but very quiet in the store. It's a good decision to only allow 1 shopper at a time in and out (after the initial 20-30 at the store opening). Restricts the panicking and mayhem we saw a few weeks ago.

If you want to avoid any supermarkets though, plenty of smaller shops or post offices will have the essentials for what you need. May have to pay a little extra but then weigh that up against waiting in line for longer and see what you prefer...

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

All supermarkets are doing this, or should be implementing it if not.

If he wants to avoid anything, avoid weekend. Might as well do the 'big shop' during the week when it's guaranteed to be less busy. I went Thursday afternoon. A small queue outside but very quiet in the store. It's a good decision to only allow 1 shopper at a time in and out (after the initial 20-30 at the store opening). Restricts the panicking and mayhem we saw a few weeks ago.

If you want to avoid any supermarkets though, plenty of smaller shops or post offices will have the essentials for what you need. May have to pay a little extra but then weigh that up against waiting in line for longer and see what you prefer...

Aye, he went to the local garage that does groceries and whatnot and he said that was quieter, he went to Tescos yesterday evening around 1900hrs and he said it was quieter, I don't feel too bad now as I reckon I must have had a 24-hour bug whatever but I have not been out for 3 days and if I do venture out it will be early morning to Iceland old age pensioner time.

Our daughter who was a nurse once and a carer for the elderly is checking on me and the wife constantly by phone asking if we are all ok and symptoms of coughing etc and if we need anything she will get it and drop it off at our front door as she won't come in just in case she catches anything and gives it to our grandsons, it's hard on me and Liz not seeing them but we are lucky nowadays as we have video camcorders on our mobiles and laptops, just seeing their smiling faces and having a natter with them brightens us both up.   

Edited by CaaC (John)

From BBC.

The coronavirus outbreak could kill 100,000 to 200,000 Americans, the government’s top infectious diseases expert warned on Sunday.

Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN’s State of the Union that millions would be infected by the virus.

Dr Fauci, a leading member of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force, added, however: “I don’t want to be held to that ... It’s such a moving target that you can so easily be wrong and mislead people.”