talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

2 hours ago, Stan said:

All supermarkets are doing this, or should be implementing it if not.

Not all…. Strange as well in that one Tesco store close to us is operating that way yet the one that's just opened on the estate a few weeks ago is letting any amount in?? would have thought they would have one policy for all?? People are at least making the effort to stay apart and not being silly about it... On another note I was catching up with a few friends and found out my mate in Nottingham is still working which I find ludicrous given the firm makes garden furniture?? don't know how the owner has swung that in all honesty, hardly essential in my opinion, it's decisions like that and those of Sports Direct who are trying to cash in on closures elsewhere without giving a toss about doing the right thing first and why fighting this virus is going to be one long hard slog... 

FFS Michael Gove says we’re not participating in the EU’s scheme to buy medical equipment as one bloc (to keep prices down for all countries) because of “communication issues” - which he then clarified as the government MISSING A FUCKING EMAIL.

I don’t know why I’d expect competence from this government, but fucking hell at least fake some sort of competence for the public so they don’t feel their lives are in the hands of utter morons.

The Western world can rightly be annoyed with China for this, they’ve “banned” wet markets (again), but it’s already got bullshit medicinal exceptions and that’s one of the reasons these wet markets are popular in China - their “traditional” medicine.

But once China said “shut the economy down to contain this” that should have been the wake up call to the rest of the world. Because China doesn’t give a fuck about the Chinese, but China does give a fuck about the economy.

I don’t know why so many governments around the world right now are full of people with their heads so far up their arseholes they didn’t notice the authoritarian arseholes that put their economy over the well being of their people had to temporarily put people ahead of the economy to stop the spread of this fucking disease and didn’t wise up to how serious it is. It definitely feels like some countries have the worst possible leaders for times like this.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

1000+ cases in Midlands. 

Worst thing about that is it is not cases of people who have it, it's only people who have it who need hospital treatment, are in a vulnerable group or work for an essential service. No one else is getting tested.

11 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

As mentioned by @nudge a few days ago, we still have not heard from @Cicero since March 18th, I hope the guy is ok?

He’s active just maybe doesn’t want to chat. I spoke to an Italian colleague based just outside Milan on Thursday who described it as “a bit of a drama’ I left it thinking translation issues but it’s only really a massive problem if your wrapped up in it. Otherwise it’s a faff at the shops I suppose 

11 hours ago, Harvsky said:

13% of cases in Spain are also healthcare workers.

The great scandal in all of this when it is over is going to be how medical professionals didn't have the gear to be protected.

Virus load to will do for them disproportions also. 
on equipment  I’d bet a lot of it comes from China the west needs a rethink in outsourcing all manufacturing 

10 hours ago, nudge said:

A new virus is reported, China puts millions of people under quarantine.

Eastern Asia (a week later and with few own cases): this is serious, let's implement containment measures early on, even if it's restricting personal freedoms. 

Europe (two and half months later and with hundreds if not thousands infected in their own countries): let's gather in thousands for a Smurf festival, go on a holiday because it's cheap now, oh and don't forget to get that last cheeseburger before they close the joint because my non essential personal needs are obviously more important than anything else. 

xD

We had plenty of time and there was enough information to react in order to contain it. Both the politicians and the general public screwed up completely. The former for downplaying the threat and failing to implement the required measures early on, the latter for being ignorant and unwilling to make small personal "sacrifices" for the benefit of society. 

The WHO also fucked up and we’re too slow to designate it was a pandemic when it was obvious and had been for at least 2-3 weeks

6 hours ago, Stan said:

209 have died in 24 hours in UK. 

1000+ cases in Midlands. 

And sadly a frontline NHS doctor has died after being diagnosed with the virus :(

This will kill quite a few NHS staff, look into virus load

11 hours ago, nudge said:

A new virus is reported, China puts millions of people under quarantine.

Didn't their government try to cover it up for like a month before they realized the severity? 

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Didn't their government try to cover it up for like a month before they realized the severity? 

I personally think that it spread undetected since some time in November, then some local doctors started noticing unusual patterns and grew suspicious of it at around mid-December and reported it publicly later that month (they inaccurately identified as SARS at first), local authorities then tried to downplay it and censor the outgoing reports until late December/early January. There was definitely a delayed response and suppression of information (at the very  least in Wuhan/Hubei) which contributed a lot to the uncontrolled spread of the virus in the rest of China and also abroad. 

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Watched a feature on 60 minutes tonight in Australia. The focus was what did China know when, and what did they tell the WHO and when.

Documents and evidence suggesting a problem first appearing in early to mid November, with approximately 6 weeks of keeping it under wraps, followed by advising the WHO around New year's but assuring them it wasn't transmittable from person to person, followed by using a lockdown in late Jan days after 5 million people from Hubei province jetting off for 

It's not the appropriate time to focus on the China aspect of all this, but their wrongdoing is massive, and the opportunity to ensure this thing never entered these countries in the first place was lost due to China.

60 minutes took a break from harassing dodgy tradies and junkies to harass the chinese. 

I'd sooner take Rupert Murdochs word on something than use 60 minutes as a source. 

• Upvote 1

Questioned on claims by government that "China will face a reckoning" once the coronavirus pandemic is over, Ms Whately said: "I've no doubt there will be lessons learnt across the whole world as to how we've handled the pandemic, but the important thing is to recognise that this is a global health emergency - it's not just a situation in the UK."

If it was not so unfunny to keep hearing this line being trotted out every 4 to 6 months I would laugh.... 

• Subscriber

From BBC.

If you look at the statistics, Germany has a much lower mortality rate than all neighbouring countries: .more than 62,000 infections but only 541 deaths. So what's behind the numbers?

The most likely explanation is extensive testing: Germany started doing widespread testing early on, confirming many cases with only mild symptoms.

That means the number of confirmed cases is closer to the actual number of infections than in other countries, where confirmed cases may show only a fraction of those infected. So if Italy, Spain or the UK included all those mild cases currently not being tested, their mortality rates might not be all that different from Germany after all.

Another explanation is healthcare capacity: Germany has more extensive care capacity than France, Italy or the UK.

This means that currently the medical system can still cope relatively well with the number of severely ill. Patients from Italy and France are even being taken to Germany for treatment. Yet once the number of critically ill in the country peaks, the German healthcare system is also expected to find itself overstretched.

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Watched a feature on 60 minutes tonight in Australia. The focus was what did China know when, and what did they tell the WHO and when.

Documents and evidence suggesting a problem first appearing in early to mid November, with approximately 6 weeks of keeping it under wraps, followed by advising the WHO around New year's but assuring them it wasn't transmittable from person to person, followed by using a lockdown in late Jan days after 5 million people from Hubei province jetting off for 

It's not the appropriate time to focus on the China aspect of all this, but their wrongdoing is massive, and the opportunity to ensure this thing never entered these countries in the first place was lost due to China.

There's no better time to blame them. People around the world are dying, people's mental health is deteriorating, there is a heavy strain on the world's health care systems, everybody is falling out, arguing and fighting, there is already a shortage of things, it's such an awfully embarassing experience to go shopping that you end up not bothering and by the end of this there will be people who are financially fucked after spending money they work hard as fuck to save up for. It's going to take people back years and years. 

It's alright for introverts who can work from home, this may be a dream for them but not everyone is in the same boat and this is going to seriously impact some people's lives. 

No better time to blame them, they've single handedly destroyed people's livelihoods and It's all their fault. It's easy to blame X and Y country for not acting sooner, although it should have never come to this in the beginning. To make it worse, they've gone from blaming the US navy, to Italians, to referring to Europeans as "foreign garbage" in their media, enticing hate.

If China aren't by far and wide the most hated country in the world, then they should be. Biggest threat to the world since Nazi Germany.

Just wait til this really takes off in Africa and it starts ripping through the continent killing sick children. Communist scum. Everyone should close their boarders to them forever.

But I'm not saying anything else as it only winds me up and makes me more agitated and angry than I am.

Edited by Carnivore Chris