talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
On 14/04/2020 at 15:15, Stan said:

This guy is not too far from me. An absolute hero in more ways than one.

£2m raised for NHS :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52278746

£12m now raised for NHS :o

What a fantastic achievement. To think how many lives this could affect or even save. Sensational stuff. Really happy for him that he was able to complete his own challenge as well. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

£12m now raised for NHS :o

What a fantastic achievement. To think how many lives this could affect or even save. Sensational stuff. Really happy for him that he was able to complete his own challenge as well. 

That's a ridiculous amount. Fair play to him. 

On a different note, nice to see Walesonline (the pro Labour rag) politicising the coronavirus emergency as per usual without mentioning a single thing about our own useless Welsh Government.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/leaders-must-held-account-deaths-18099161

Don't be mistaken. Mistakes have been made by the UK Government and they should have acted sooner, both on testing and tracing and lockdown measures. However, when the rag criticises one (Tory) then doesn't ciriticse ours (Labour) while then using Macron's political spin of apologising for his fuck up as 'treating them like adults'.

Also, on top of the newly opened test centre being closed on Bank Holiday and Vaughan Gething blaming it on councils due to 'lack of demand', we can apparently do 1,300 tests a day tops. We were supposed to be able to carry out 5,000 as of now, but we aren't anywhere close to that. On Bank Holiday Monday, we did a grand total of 678 tests, well below the promised 5,000 by mid April and even currently. 

While one gets heavily criticised (of which some is fair enough) and another gets of scot free (despite health and social care being a devolved issue), you can start to see why I get infuriated quite easily and why I hold a bit of bias against Labour. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

On 15/04/2020 at 05:38, IgnisExcubitor said:

Wife has recieved the dreaded mail from work: either agree to the new restructured wages, which are substantially less, or submit your resignation. 

Friend, who is another company, received an email with a similar template. I suppose, this is how most companies would go forward. Easier to force people to quit rather than fire them.

On the pandemic front, we are doing somewhat better than most other nations - at least so far. Can't say the same about my state. Probably the worst in the country, where others are doing better.

Yeah my wife's company had surprise redundancies followed by a letter sent to all staff, requiring their signature to accept that individual wages would be temporarily reduced by 20% (with no end date specified).

On 15/04/2020 at 07:42, ASF said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/health/china-virus-who-emergency.html.

I'm by, no means, a fan of FOX News, but this is just ridiculous: 

.Joke of an organization. 

China was also an important ally of current director general Tedros in the WHO’s D.G election in 2017. Months before the election, Tedros was invited to speak at Peking University where he called for stronger cooperation between China and the Global South on health issues. China’s support for Tedros paid off immediately. The day after his electoral victory, Tedros confirmed to Chinese state-media that he and the WHO will continue to support the “One China” principle, which recognizes the government in Beijing as the legitimate Chinese government. Three years later, Tedros’ enduring support of China’s response to COVID-19 shows that their early support for him is still paying dividends.

@ASF one thing I did find interesting though is this clip from one of our former PM's. Basically saying Yeah every government already knows the WHO are sympathetic towards China and therefore knows to take their comments with a grain of salt. Hence why most countries had their own experts recommending early action ahead of what the world health organisation were putting out.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Seriously? xD

Got a link as I can't seem to find anything atm?

Was on BBC live updates this morning. UK time I checked was around 6.00am. So it'll be on the first page of the live updates. Am sure there were some African countries protesting.

3 hours ago, MUFC said:

Was on BBC live updates this morning. UK time I checked was around 6.00am. So it'll be on the first page of the live updates. Am sure there were some African countries protesting.

3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Fair play. America is a very odd country at times. 

As for those taking guns, what are they going to do, shoot the virus? xD

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Think my girlfriends Dad has it. He’s been quite rough the last couple of days and is showing a few symptoms now. 

Sorry to hear that. Hope he pulls through. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Definitely right to extend it and then ease it off if necessary either towards the end of it or just when right anyway. 

Gonna be tough for another few weeks though. Think some people with less patience and less awareness of why it's for another 3 weeks will start to get a bit angry about it and will rebel. 

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

I think it'll be till near the end of the year at least. But they can't say that as people will get hacked off. They'll just keep extending it month upon month.

Kinda agree with this. Even when they will open up, it will be with strict rules.

We all are going to see more work from home stuff, and 3 working days week for everyone, with 50% of the staff in the office at any given time.

Also, instant or quick testing kits for players in sports to allow games to go ahead. 

We are going to see riots in a lot of countries - especially undeveloped or developing countries.

The gun totting idiots are just plain idiots though.

7 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

CIFRAS EN PERÚ

Poor Loreto :( they also have a Dengue outbreak ongoing.

That's just terrible. Dengue is the worst.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Seriously? xD

Got a link as I can't seem to find anything atm?

Yeah in Michigan and a couple of other states protesting governor actions instituted to lock down. The Michigan governor says these protests like likely extended how long the lockdown will last.

People are understandably scared in the US right now, a lot of workers were laid off rather than being furloughed. And even if you’re furloughed, it’s not like the UK where you’re getting 80% from your wages. A lot of people are just going to be getting a check for $1200, which won’t cover rent or bills for a month for a lot of people, and even then the IRS rollout of that stimulus has been pretty shit with lots of people reporting issues.

Because a lot of people don’t really have any social safety net, especially when their healthcare is tied to employment and they’ve lost their jobs so they only have a limited time on their current plans... I think a lot of pretty desperate people just want things to go back to normal.

The thing is everyone wants to go back to normal and it’s not going to happen quickly unless we slow the spread and don’t overwhelm healthcare providers. But I fully understand why some people in the US are feeling desperate, even though I don’t agree with what they’re doing.

Honestly though, I don’t know how the people in the US that don’t have the luxury of being able to continue to work from home are really going to cope with this lasting for months. There are so many non-essential workers hit so hard by this who are living paycheck to paycheck. Life as normal has stopped, but bills haven’t.

Recoveries in Peru have risen by about 3000! Now it's at 6000 which is half of the total cases. Some good news!

It's almost like the government knew that people would disobey the lockdown so they focused on testing and trying to save lives in the best way they could.

22 hours ago, Pyfish said:

3 more weeks for the UK at least.

Not sure how to feel about it but it's the right call.

21 hours ago, Stan said:

Definitely right to extend it and then ease it off if necessary either towards the end of it or just when right anyway. 

Gonna be tough for another few weeks though. Think some people with less patience and less awareness of why it's for another 3 weeks will start to get a bit angry about it and will rebel. 

21 hours ago, MUFC said:

I think it'll be till near the end of the year at least. But they can't say that as people will get hacked off. They'll just keep extending it month upon month.

We've just extended for the next 4 weeks and we're down to 50 new cases per day, but I think we're actually trying to eliminate it.