talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

If anything on those lines more likely to do with being 6 months into a 5 year tenure versus SNP having elections next year. 

Or maybe different political parties sincerely do have different ways of looking at social issues and different attitudes to government. 

7 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Or maybe different political parties sincerely do have different ways of looking at social issues and different attitudes to government. 

So your own first point that difference is about protecting perceptions of image was potentially bullshit according to yourself?

39 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

So your own first point that difference is about protecting perceptions of image was potentially bullshit according to yourself?

The point was that some parties are conscious of the expectations of the public even when not in the middle of an election period. I don't know if you consider a full year before an election to be an election period, but I can say reasonably surely that nobody in Scotland is thinking about next May at this moment. 

Some figures in politics think that trust, or legitimacy, is something to be maintained, not scrambled or bargained for in the few months before an election. In fact, even ignoring public perception entirely, some would go so far as to say that holding power - especially in a time of crisis in which thousands of lives ride on every decision - bears certain inherent responsibilities. And they behave accordingly, or resign or are removed. 

I don't know if that sounds trite or idealistic, but I can assure you that even though the UK government has discarded it, it's not such a radical notion. 

That's why I'm definitely not making Scotland out to be some wonderland because that notion is possibly still relevant up here. It's the norm, it exists in the cultures of most European countries. 

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber

It's too windy to go on a decent walk this weekend so I thought I'd be bored but watching the Tories dig a hole that the majority of the straight thinking public, finally, won't follow them into is pretty great viewing.

12 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The point was that some parties are conscious of the expectations of the public even when not in the middle of an election period. I don't know if you consider a full year before an election to be an election period, but I can say reasonably surely that nobody in Scotland is thinking about next May at this moment. 

Some figures in politics think that trust, or legitimacy, is something to be maintained, not scrambled or bargained for in the few months before an election. In fact, even ignoring public perception entirely, some would go so far as to say that holding power - especially in a time of crisis in which thousands of lives ride on every decision - bears certain inherent responsibilities. And they behave accordingly, or resign or are removed. 

I don't know if that sounds trite or idealistic, but I can assure you that even though the UK government has discarded it, it's not such a radical notion. 

That's why I'm definitely not making Scotland out to be some wonderland because that notion is possibly still relevant up here. It's the norm, it exists in the cultures of most European countries. 

Popping up in the commentariat analysis has routinely been what election pivots are going on for at least the last 6 months if not more. The public not actively thinking about who to vote for doesn't really matter. For a governing power this is a key moment to ensure you go into the door knocking stage in control of the topics and with positive perceptions.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

20200523_184107.thumb.jpg.64a543da2ca4ce4b5735eef718ed218e.jpg

WILL OV DER PEEPULL

And yet.... 

Speaking to reporters outside his house, Dominic Cummings said he will not be reconsidering his position.

"Obviously not," he told journalists. 

"You're not going to consider resigning? The public are probably very angry," one of the reporters said. 

He replied: "You guys are probably as right about that as you were about Brexit - remember how right you all were about that?"

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Popping up in the commentariat analysis has routinely been what election pivots are going on for at least the last 6 months if not more. The public not actively thinking about who to vote for doesn't really matter. For a governing power this is a key moment to ensure you go into the door knocking stage in control of the topics and with positive perceptions.

Which is why I think Starmer is fairing well for Labour. Of course Tories and their behaviours/mixed messages give Labour pretty much open goals, but they'd be foolish not to try and score in those open goals. Obviously he's not the governing power but he wouldn't be an effective leader of the party if he was missing these opportunities. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

52/48 split. Lovely.

It isn't though, its 52/28 because 20% of voters stay at home. In this scenario, a referendum would return a result of 65%/35% in favour of Dominic Cummings to LEAVE his position. :coffee:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

It isn't though, its 52/28 because 20% of voters stay at home. In this scenario, a referendum would return a result of 65%/35% in favour of Dominic Cummings to LEAVE his position. :coffee:

Yeah that's what I meant.

52/28...

• Administrator

@Bluebird Hewitt

I'm guessing this is the thing you were saying about the other day...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52784439

There are concerns people in Wales are still not able to book drive-through coronavirus tests due to not being able to access a UK website.

In England, Scotland and Northern Ireland members of the public are able to book tests online.

Despite it being announced last week that announced Wales would join the service, it is still unavailable.

The Welsh Government said an update would be provided as "soon as possible".

Critical workers are able to book tests by contacting testing centres directly.

But unions said the lack of testing was concerning for workers, especially those on zero-hour contracts or jobs where they were not entitled to company sick pay.

_112426928_testingportal.jpg

A Welsh Government spokesman said work was being done on access to the site at the moment.

"As soon as this work is finalised, daily test slot allocations will be available for critical workers," he said.

On Monday, the Welsh Government said critical workers and members of the public would be able to use the UK booking site for drive-through appointments "soon."

Home test kits are available to everyone across the UK, but availability depends on demand.

The decision to opt into the UK system meant ministers in Cardiff ditched plans to develop Wales' own online-booking system.

Gemma Powell, a supermarket worker from Bridgend, wanted a coronavirus test last week when she developed a dry cough.

"I couldn't order a home testing kit but I finally managed to get through to book an appointment at a drive through screening in Pencoed," she said.

"The system is making it so difficult to get a test.

"The number I phoned was the Abercynon helpline which I thought was the wrong number - I phoned this for the correct number for Bridgend area but it turned out to be for my area.

"If I hadn't tried this number I would still be without a test appointment.

"The information people need is hard to get hold of."

The test came back negative, meaning Gemma was able to return to work after missing four days.

Wales Trades Union Congress (TUC) general secretary Shav Taj said the system is "still confusing people" and "needs greater clarity".

She said it was a concern, in particular for workers not entitled to paid time off and company sick pay if they needed to get tested and self-isolate.

"Many key workers are low paid or on zero hours, precarious agency contracts," she said.

"They can't survive off statutory sick pay alone."

Angela Burns, who speaks on health for the Welsh Conservatives, said it was "not a surprise that there is confusion and difficulties booking a test".

"The Welsh Government spent nearly a month delaying access to an online portal, wanting a distinctive Welsh approach to the pandemic instead of using the UK Government's online portal," she said.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Bluebird Hewitt

I'm guessing this is the thing you were saying about the other day...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52784439

Pretty much. Tried our own system just to be different for the sake of it, ditched it as 'issues were apparently resolved' with the UK Government over the UK wide system and we still can't book tests. 

33 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

There was a period before Calderwood resigned in which she was obviously not going to be doing public speaking but was still the senior professional in policy. She presumably resigned under pressure from the government, and would have been removed by Sturgeon had she not resigned. 

Overall, I think that the SNP's electoral position would not have been jeapordised had she stayed - particularly in light of this new mess blowing up in the Scottish Tories' face. But they behaved as though it were important to maintain trust regardless. 

You can call that a sense of civic responsibility, or a sincere fear of electoral setbacks, but the effect is the same. The Tories do not seem to have either of these forces working on them.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

FINISH HIM xD

Surely not?! 

Expertly timed by Mirror if so. 

Let the first instance get all the controversy then release another story to have a greater effect...

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Surely not?! 

Expertly timed by Mirror if so. 

Let the first instance get all the controversy then release another story to have a greater effect...

Played the odious, predictable twats like a fiddle. Nothing sweeter than seeing independent journalism bring down one of the king pins behind creating the culture war in this country that had led to independent journalists who report based on facts rather than their own political beliefs to be denigrated, caught in the crossfire of Britain's new football politics.

I now hope to see no mercy from the BBC particularly in finishing off the little scrote who has held a knife to their throat in his mission to eradicate unbiased political reporting in the UK.

This was his smug face earlier, literally goading the media because he thinks he "beat them" by winning the referendum but now the Mirror and Guardian have twisted the knife. 

The best part is leaving the Part Two long enough to give Raab, Hancock, Sunak and co the chance to put the pandemic ahead of loyalty to an unelected colleague. They made their choice and will now be tainted by the consequences.

• Administrator

Agreed. They can either backtrack and call for his sacking and look like idiots for even defending him in the first place or look like bigger fools trying to defend this second shitstorm. 

Good luck lads xD

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

There was a period before Calderwood resigned in which she was obviously not going to be doing public speaking but was still the senior professional in policy. She presumably resigned under pressure from the government, and would have been removed by Sturgeon had she not resigned. 

Overall, I think that the SNP's electoral position would not have been jeapordised had she stayed - particularly in light of this new mess blowing up in the Scottish Tories' face. But they behaved as though it were important to maintain trust regardless. 

You can call that a sense of civic responsibility, or a sincere fear of electoral setbacks, but the effect is the same. The Tories do not seem to have either of these forces working on them.

Argubly Calderwood is more comparable to Ferguson than Cummings. An easy push.

Cummings is powerful, that is what we are seeing. He plays a key role in the power structure of Boris Johnson's Conservative Party. I'm not surprised they're wriggling to keep him.

You say the force of public pressure isn't working on them but this will damage their image by not following social protocol. There are consequences to it, that's the whole point of it. The whole point of pushing is to avoid that under the premise that it all adds up eventually. Would they have made a different decision closer to an election? Most likely it is built into their judgement. Early polling already indicating 41% of those who voted Conservative 6 months ago think he should go. Lib Dem voters 72%, Labour 66%. 6% difference between those two likely resides im social class.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The best part is leaving the Part Two long enough to give Raab, Hancock, Sunak and co the chance to put the pandemic ahead of loyalty to an unelected colleague. They made their choice and will now be tainted by the consequences.

Key here is the public backers in the party and cabinet are almost publicly exposing how dependent they have been and are on Cummings for power. Don't forget Cummings by some suggested leaks played a role in driving Javid out. Sunak probably wouldn't have gotten that hot seat without playing by the rules Cummings was likely enforcing.

Losing Cummings could cause the sort of vacuum that weakens some Cabinet members power. Sunak in particular has very little powerful Tory support behind him by the sounds of some accounts.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Key here is the public backers in the party and cabinet are almost publicly exposing how dependent they have been and are on Cummings for power. Don't forget Cummings by some suggested leaks played a role in driving Javid out. Sunak probably wouldn't have gotten that hot seat without playing by the rules Cummings was likely enforcing.

Losing Cummings could cause the sort of vacuum that weakens some Cabinet members power. Sunak in particular has very little powerful Tory support behind him by the sounds of some accounts.

There's only murmuring so far of back benchers being unimpressed but none breaking ranks yet.

Poor Grant Schapps is doing Sophy Ridge's show and Andrew Marr tomorrow morning after doing this afternoon's briefing. Talk about your heavy lifting...