talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Best wishes to them mate. 

Cheers. 

None of this is a big surprise to me. This is my family from North Alabama, farmers, and big Trump lovers. They are good people, but are definitely not ones to wear masks and truly abide by any social distancing protocols. 

• Administrator
Just now, Eco said:

Cheers. 

None of this is a big surprise to me. This is my family from North Alabama, farmers, and big Trump lovers. They are good people, but are definitely not ones to wear masks and truly abide by any social distancing protocols. 

I take back my comment :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I take back my comment :ph34r:

Oh, and I'm obviously not very close with them. This is the same family that kicked my Dad out of the house at a young age because he quit going to church, leaving my dad homeless at 15. 

But still, it's my Dad's father, and I know it's got to be strange for him to receive the news. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Got word last night from family that my Uncle and his family have it. Living with them is also my grandfather, grandmother, who are currently both suffering from a fever and are waiting on the results. 

My other uncle (his brother) and his wife and children are also being tested as they had all be staying quarantined together. 

Hope it all works out ok mate.. 

• Upvote 1

On 04/08/2020 at 13:12, Harry said:

Is there a vaccine duration which you would be prepared to wait for, and one you would not?

For example if we knew now a vaccine was 3 years away rather than the more optimistic 1 or less would you reach a point of saying "I'll take my chances"?

You've got to get things in perspective. Caution is necessary and we should all work together to make sure we prevent the most vulnerable people suffering (which is where the UK has failed so appallingly, we in fact managed to spread the disease to care homes very early on) and that includes things like the wearing of masks for the time being. Even if it's only to help people going about their business feel more comfortable. The libertarian lunatics are no help whatsoever.

On the other hand, this is not the Black Death. The more young, healthy people hide away then the longer this goes on for. Human beings have lived and thrived through far, far worse than this and I do think we may regret some of the reactions to this in the long term. Being alive is a risk, diseases will come and go but society cannot be shut down indefinitely.

In terms of a vaccine, I'm doubtful there will ever be one. It is very closely related to the Cold and they have been unable to get one for that. More likely it will exist among us forever, but in a mild version for the vast majority of people. I am certainly already trying to live as normal life as possible, going to the pub, seeing people, whilst observing the distancing rules. There is something quite admirable but at the same hubristic about the confidence people have that we can even hope to control things like disease, human beings will always be at the whim of nature and I think we sometimes forget that.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Anyone in the North West privy to any local analysis on why it has had the worst COVID figures in the country? More deaths than any other region. Worst ratios. Haven't been able to get daily cases below 100-150 when London has been at around 50 for 2 months. Walked straight into a 2nd wave.

If we just go by national TV interviews of locals you'd assume it's because few in the Greater Manchester area can think for themselves. What's the real reason?

Not sure. I'd imagine high rates of poverty, obesity and other unhealthy habits will be a big factor. Parts of Liverpool, Manchester and Blackpool are among the most deprived in the country and the life expectancy matches. The cities are very densely populated too. The rates are declining though, talks of second waves are a bit unhelpful, there will naturally be spikes but these seem far more containable and we are not seeing the resulting deaths yet.

Edited by The Artful Dodger

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The islands are the best place to be because you can control travel so easily.

if only the UK government took heed of this earlier on in lockdown :( 

One of my good friends here who’s been so good about staying inside and away from people was feeling pretty sick for a few days, then noticed he lost his sense of taste so he got tested. Tested positive.

He lives in a big tower of flats, so while he stays inside as much as he can he has to go to communal areas to do things like get his mail and to get food. He thinks he must have gotten it at a supermarket.

Pretty shit though to follow guidance as much as possible and still get it. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I’m a bit worried because he’s a pretty heavy smoker (of cigarettes) and we know this attacks the lungs. He says he’s not feeling too bad, he just misses tasting food.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

One of my good friends here who’s been so good about staying inside and away from people was feeling pretty sick for a few days, then noticed he lost his sense of taste so he got tested. Tested positive.

He lives in a big tower of flats, so while he stays inside as much as he can he has to go to communal areas to do things like get his mail and to get food. He thinks he must have gotten it at a supermarket.

Pretty shit though to follow guidance as much as possible and still get it. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I’m a bit worried because he’s a pretty heavy smoker (of cigarettes) and we know this attacks the lungs. He says he’s not feeling too bad, he just misses tasting food.

Could be touching the doors in and out of the building. I feel a high risk taker everytime I open the door to get to the milk in the fridges at Lidl :ph34r:

On 08/08/2020 at 16:33, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hope he recovers quickly. I read a story about a woman who had Covid who has lost her sense of taste since March, and it hasn't returned yet. Bit scary to think about that. But maybe a good way to lose weight too though. :35_thinking:

• Subscriber

Russia approved and registered world's first vaccine against COVID-19. Phase 3 trials still ongoing, will launch it for key frontline workers and in most affected regions now, mass production is set for September/October with distribution for general public planned for January.

Fingers crossed this works!

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

Russia approved and registered world's first vaccine against COVID-19. Phase 3 trials still ongoing, will launch it for key frontline workers and in most affected regions now, mass production is set for September/October with distribution for general public planned for January.

Fingers crossed this works!

Putin's daughter tested it and was fine so it's a green light for big Vlad and his boys!

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

No reason to be skeptical about this? :52_fearful:

Sure, it's always a good idea to be skeptical about everything, including rushed vaccines. Russian medical science (and virology in particular) has always been well advanced though, so hopefully they got this one right.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Putin's daughter tested it and was fine so it's a green light for big Vlad and his boys!

That's likely just a political propaganda and PR, but one of this daughters is a biochemist, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was somehow involved in the trials.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I highly doubt a dictators daughter tested a rushed vaccine xD 

Vlad said it though

Mr Putin also said the vaccine had been given to one of his daughters, who was feeling fine despite a brief temperature increase.

"I think in this sense she took part in the experiment," Mr Putin said, without specifying which of his two daughters had received the vaccine.

"After the first injection her temperature was 38 degrees, the next day 37.5, and that was it. After the second injection her temperature went up slightly, then back to normal."

He must be believed.

• Haha 1