talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

D

7 hours ago, Batard said:

What’s occurring?

Well it's not all that different to the first lockdown. A few tweaks to the rules which I'd say is based on lessons learned from the first one and elsewhere.

But that wasn't what I meant. It's just much harder for people to bear to do lockdown a second time. First time there was a sense of excitement, and everything was very new and different, and we were optimistic that we would shut down, knock this thing in the bud and then reopen.

This time people were going in pessimistic, already at their wits end, in all times low states of physical and mental health, and devastated to be the only state being locked down and made out that we've done something wrong when really if you actually look at the detail our state did basically the same thing as Sydney and just got a worse result. If anything our premier actually led the way through the whole pandemic and drove the PM to shut down the first time against his own tendencies to want to protect the economy. And now he's being slayed in the press, his approval rating is through the floor, mutiny is brewing and we're tearing ourselves apart. 

I'm starting to think Sweden had the right of it tbh in adopting sustainable measures rather than asking people to do what isn't possible.

Just been sent home early from work.... Found out my daughter has been in contact with someone who's 2 friends both got a positive test result for Covid and work said they didn't want to take any chances even though neither of us are showing any symptoms currently. They gave us a link to a website to get a test booked but because they won't allow you to book the test unless you actually have the symptoms work have told me I can return tomorrow.... 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just been sent home early from work.... Found out my daughter has been in contact with someone who's 2 friends both got a positive test result for Covid and work said they didn't want to take any chances even though neither of us are showing any symptoms currently. They gave us a link to a website to get a test booked but because they won't allow you to book the test unless you actually have the symptoms work have told me I can return tomorrow.... 

Your bosses sound all over the place there :4_joy:

1 minute ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Your bosses sound all over the place there :4_joy:

Not sure if it's a common occurrence in similar workplaces in how they deal with it but we do seem a bit hit and miss about things... It's all a bit of a mess if I am honest..

On one hand we are very lucky to be working in a place that has to have very high hygiene standards for both premises, equipment and staff so in that regard we kind of have a head start on say a normal warehouse type environment but within that even though we are talking the talk of safe distancing etc it's almost impossible to achieve in reality..

I mean we get a lot of staff that not only live together and have partners in the same house but also travel to and from work together in groups of 3 or 4 then they work together side by side all day for 11 hours on lines/departments etc and it's not possible to separate them due to the nature of the job but then you will get some senior management that come in once a week for a quick tour/better show my face type visit and start moaning at them because couples sit together for an hours lunch.. xD

They moved our department out of the little office we share with Goods-in staff because you get about 5 or 6 people in there at a time doing various pc work and they deemed it breaking social distancing rules so moved us outside to the old Engineers hut that was sitting empty.. 2 weeks later there was a reported leak in the roof and suddenly we were all moved back into the cramped office and Health & Safety who deemed it unfit for purpose under the rules 2 weeks prior are now stating they are satisfied that no-one will face each other during an entire 11 hour shift.. xD

They seem to be doing what they can to at least appear to be following all the rules that allow them to continue operating legally but in reality can't possibly make it happen.. They also got all the staff back that were 'at risk' and on furlough about 2 months ago which was nearly 90% of the factory staff that can't possibly stay away from other people, the job functions just don't allow it.. meanwhile our H&S officer has had 2 desks moved from a 6 desk set up upstairs so he can sit alone and nowhere near anyone else... this is the same bloke that deems it ok to cram 5 or 6 people in one little office downstairs.. Just laughable really... except it's really not all that funny

@DeadLinesman :whistling:

The policing minister has encouraged people to report their neighbours for not complying with the new “rule of six” coronavirus restriction as it came into force in England.

From Monday, social gatherings of more than six people are illegal, with people facing fines of up to £3,200 if they do not abide by the measure in indoor and outdoor settings.

Kit Malthouse said concerned neighbours should ring the non-emergency police number 101 to report violations.

• Haha 2

There we go. Just been announced that my area will go into lockdown from tomorrow at 6pm.

Clusters involved a rugby club, a pub in the lower Rhondda valley and 'a club outing to Doncaster races that stopped off at a series of pubs on the way'. :dash3:

Yet despite this, licenced premises must now be shut by 23:00. xD

Good job everyone. Selfish pricks. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber

https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/pitt-scientists-discover-tiny-antibody-component-highly-effective-preventing-and-treating-sars

Probably the most promising news in quite a while. Easy/low cost to produce, simplified administration, works faster and is highly effective (not tested in humans yet), and probably the most important part - it doesn't bind to human cells, so negative side effects are unlikely.

40 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

UK covid response.

Yeah, this is all starting to get tiresome now (the rules, not you).

Our Health Minister Vaughan Gething had mentioned that there was evidence that people going to pubs and not adhering to rules was one of the key factors in cases rising where I am, yet the clown has decided that families can't meet up, but pubs can.......... stay........ open? :|

But don't worry, closing one hour early will make all the difference and eliminate the virus completely from here. 

• Subscriber

Pubs and hospitality is a difficult one in general. On face value, they're trying their best not to crash the hospitality sector by forcing it to basically shut down again. Bailing them out would probably become necessary and that' s a huge outlay for the Treasury and a further inevitable increase in tax for all of us down the line.

That's how it looks from a policy makers point of view. When it gets to ground level and you're told you can't see both sets of grandparents at once but you can go to the pub with 4-5 mates, yeah it feels pretty silly.

Saw a report this morning saying that there could be up to 40,000 active cases a day in the UK now but the official numbers aren't that high because of the delay in processing tests. That number seems steep but it does seem likely with the number of people saying they can't get a test or it's taking days to get their results back that daily cases are more than the 3-4k being reported. What a nightmare.

Having schools open again seems to be causing a major issue. One element of the problem does seem to be people booking coronavirus tests for a runny nose which is overly cautious in my opinion. I've heard horror stories though of whole classes or even year groups self-isolating because one teacher or student is waiting for results from a test. Seems like a failure in risk management to me but the testing system does seem to be on the verge of collapse in many parts of the country. The government are saying that they're still "carrying out" almost the most tests in Europe which is fair enough. I'm guessing this means that they're counting tests that have been carried out at a test site and sent to a lab because reports from across the country suggest that the number of tests being processed is lagging behind.

They either need to raise the bar for being qualified to take a test which isn't ideal, or start increasing lab capacity somehow. 

Our minister of justice saw fit to call everyone who didn't comply with corona rules lowlifes and then had a wedding with like a hundred guests where he hugged and shook hands with everyone. There is tons of photographic evidence of this. Take a wild guess as to whether he got fined and/or was relieved of his responsibilities.

Edited by Panflute
  • Haha 4