talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

I have to say on this tiers business, that I don't think the government can really win. Of course it's unfair that if your town is fine and the next town over is rampant with Covid that you have to be locked down still as well, but didn't they try and do the lockdowns heavily localised before, and it didn't work? Now they're trying to make the restrictions more of a blanket thing, they're going to get slated either way aren't they? Not that I have any sympathy for them or any faith in their management of this whole thing.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I have to say on this tiers business, that I don't think the government can really win. Of course it's unfair that if your town is fine and the next town over is rampant with Covid that you have to be locked down still as well, but didn't they try and do the lockdowns heavily localised before, and it didn't work? Now they're trying to make the restrictions more of a blanket thing, they're going to get slated either way aren't they? Not that I have any sympathy for them or any faith in their management of this whole thing.

This bit, especially. But you're right it is a no-win situation. They can't please everyone.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Just seen R rate is now between 0.9 and 1. Hope it stays that way. Points towards this latest lockdown working?

I think it clearly has. All the numbers are pointing to the infections falling again at about the time you'd expect. Deaths are probably peaking again now but should fall back away soon. It's hard to see how you balance it going forward so you can keep the numbers lower like the summer without having constant lockdown on, lockdown off. Hopefully the vaccinations are the silver bullet people have hoped for.

As the Welsh Government need to show that they're doing something after the failure of their firebreak (rates have been going up since it ended and they themselves even said to wait 2-3 weeks to see results) and targeting hospitality once again (as it's an easy target), pubs, restaurants and cafes in Wales (yes, even in low infection rate areas, as doing tiers or localised rules is far too hard for them to do after previous failures, especially as this is basically copying Scotland once again) will be banned from serving alcohol after 6pm (though will allow takeaway services after 6pm for food or non alcoholic drinks), while indoor entertainment centres such as cinemas, bowling alleys, bingo halls, museums and galleries (you know, those places that have barely seen any cases) will shut. 

While he's still announcing it, I wouldn't be surprised if non essential retail will be allowed to stay open, where most people will be crammed and getting Christmas shopping. :congrats:

£340m will be provided to firms affected by this, which once again is next to near fuck all for the vast majority. 

I haven't seen or heard anything yet, but I did hear rumours that they may postpone the Welsh elections as well. Pretty sure Trump got criticised for suggesting that, but there we go. 

We're going to be so fucked by the end of this, England would be happy to see the back of us really. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Administrator

Fantastic news. Hope this doesn't make people complacent especially up to and during Xmas though thinking they can do whatever they want just because a vaccine, for up to 20m people, is now available.. It's not a license for that but it is the most promising sign of beating this virus since it took over. 

Very well done to all the scientists and researchers and volunteers involved. Hope more vaccines can follow soon. 

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:36, MUFC said:

Anyone going to take the vaccine? 

Looks as if I might be the first TFF member to get the call!  Will let you know when it happens so we can all celebrate and - if you want - I will let you know how it goes - affects or otherwise - so you can make your own minds up.  Quite happy to be the TFF test site!:farmer:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Did anyone see the BBC last night in Wuhan? They’re back to their day to day normal lives without masks.  

Also I believe that China are now trying to say the virus didn’t originate in their Country?

Edited by JoshBRFC

7 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Did anyone see the BBC last night in Wuhan? They’re back to their day to day normal lives without masks.  

Also I believe that China are now trying to say the virus didn’t originate in their Country?

Yeah, they’re now trying to say that it was first found on frozen food imported into China.

I think the “origin story” of the virus is going to be a bit like Tiennanmen Square 1986 for Chinese people in China - and they’ll get a totally whitewash of the history.

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

They did some weird PR stunt very early in the pandemic cycle somewhere around May too. They tried to drive up sales of tickets to shows, etc. I'll find an article if I can (found one) but that was what was doing the rounds and as a person looking from the outside you'd be forgiven for thinking this pandemic wasn't going to go the way it did. I do however think that most of that came from a very important factor which is disease resilience from genetic makeup coupled with them having a head-start on the rest of the world. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53816511

• Subscriber

UK deaths are still high, but the case count has come down significantly over the past week or two. Yet the anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine, anti-science brigade are somehow still acting completely self-righteous about their cause, despite it being completely and utterly evident that this lockdown worked exactly as the science (and basic common sense) said it would.

The mental gymnastics performed by these idiots continues to amaze. They'll happily rubbish everything said by actual virologists but as soon as one person in the WHO says "lockdowns aren't the answer to this pandemic" (in that they will drive down the infection rate but they are no substitute for a long-term strategy to balance a return to normal life with a manageable spread of the virus) it becomes their gospel.

I haven't been impressed by much of what this government has done throughout the pandemic but at least at this vaccination stage, they have recognised the danger of the anti-vaxxer movement and are taking proactive action to meet it head on. I think it would be an excellent move for Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson to have the vaccine live on television to boost the confidence of all the sane people out there who have what I'd call legitimate reservations about whether the vaccine might not be as safe as it should be having been 'rushed through' so quickly.

I think the rabidly stupid big government conspiracy theorists are beyond convincing so all we can do for them is look forward to hearing from the dark corners of Facebook and Twitter about how the vaccines taken by any high-ranking government officials or celebrities live on television are actually fakes or placebos.

Surprisingly, the Isle of Man is getting a bunch of vaccines next week as well. I thought we'd at least have to wait a couple of weeks longer than the UK to start getting our hands on them but local government are saying that vaccinations over here could start as early as next week too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

America will probably be dealing with this for a very long time because some idiots decided to make a pandemic a political issue.

On a per capita basis they are still in better shape for deaths than UK or Italy, but they have many states that are sparsely populated relative to those countries. 

On 04/12/2020 at 08:52, RandoEFC said:

UK deaths are still high, but the case count has come down significantly over the past week or two. Yet the anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine, anti-science brigade are somehow still acting completely self-righteous about their cause, despite it being completely and utterly evident that this lockdown worked exactly as the science (and basic common sense) said it would.

The mental gymnastics performed by these idiots continues to amaze. They'll happily rubbish everything said by actual virologists but as soon as one person in the WHO says "lockdowns aren't the answer to this pandemic" (in that they will drive down the infection rate but they are no substitute for a long-term strategy to balance a return to normal life with a manageable spread of the virus) it becomes their gospel.

I haven't been impressed by much of what this government has done throughout the pandemic but at least at this vaccination stage, they have recognised the danger of the anti-vaxxer movement and are taking proactive action to meet it head on. I think it would be an excellent move for Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson to have the vaccine live on television to boost the confidence of all the sane people out there who have what I'd call legitimate reservations about whether the vaccine might not be as safe as it should be having been 'rushed through' so quickly.

I think the rabidly stupid big government conspiracy theorists are beyond convincing so all we can do for them is look forward to hearing from the dark corners of Facebook and Twitter about how the vaccines taken by any high-ranking government officials or celebrities live on television are actually fakes or placebos.

Surprisingly, the Isle of Man is getting a bunch of vaccines next week as well. I thought we'd at least have to wait a couple of weeks longer than the UK to start getting our hands on them but local government are saying that vaccinations over here could start as early as next week too.

Most of the takes I'm seeing from "those" people ignore the virus stats and focus on the fact we're still under restrictions and more people are in higher tiers now than before lockdown 2. As if they've forgotten about the risk of the virus itself and simply think the point of restrictions is to prevent further restrictions. To some extent, I think the government's messaging about a second lockdown being economically disastrous hasn't helped on this front, along with those outside the government (e.g. Starmer and the welsh lot) appealling for an earlier lockdown with the stated aim of reducing the need for tighter restrictions later on. On the other hand, I'm no longer in the mood to make excuses for people being wilfully obtuse. There are times as an adult when you have to expect people to take simple concepts for granted in order to have a proper conversation without having to constantly retread old ground.

That's not to say assumptions shouldn't be challenged, but they do need to be challenged and not simply ignored. If you're arguing against lockdowns without acknowledging that the latest one has reversed the trend on new cases and cut them by between a third and a half, you're missing the point and wasting everyone's time

Edited by Burning Gold