talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

They should have considered closing schools a week early in England to be honest and given an extra week off. The toll on teachers, school leaders and other school staff (catering, cleaning) has been absolutely mad since the summer holidays. I know it's probably not practical with childcare and stuff but it could have been considered as a bit of a thank you to schools. You can see from all of the temporary closures how trying it has been on so many teachers, students and families. The last week of term, as we all know, isn't a massive loss of education and it's probably not possible this year to have all of the little tutor group parties and end of term assemblies that would usually make it worthwhile.

My mate's girlfriend is a teacher and she'd heard a rumour that they were planning on closing schools for Christmas the day our lockdown ended, but for whatever reason that never happened. 

I agree with what you're saying 100%.

On 01/11/2020 at 09:27, Harry said:

Recommend you read this with regard to the bit in bold.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158069600551608&id=696981607&sfnsn=mo

I found this quite illustrative, albeit an approximation of what would happen based on the models they use, with various types of protection measures toggled on and off. 

It expired :)

11 hours ago, Stan said:

What the fuck are you lot doing over there

Fuck knows. It's sounding like we're going into a third lockdown immediately after the five day Christmas period as well (despite going out of a two week lockdown firebreak on 9th November) and start a 4 tier approach as well (despite the Welsh Government saying that they wanted a consistent national approach after the firebreak). Also note that just to be different (yet again), we have 4 tiers instead of 3 (England) or 5 (Scotland). 

The irony is that our lot were telling Boris to ban people from the old tier 3 areas from travelling into Wales, but now we're allowed to travel into England despite continuous rising cases. 

Now I admit that the public have not helped themselves whatsoever with there general attitude (you only need to see pictures of the high street in Cardiff and other places to see that for Christmas shopping), but when you appear to have no plan, structure or strategy at all (the non essential purchases being banned, pubs, restaurants and cafes not selling alcohol at all and need to close at 6pm as examples) while continuing to blame everyone but themselves (they've blamed the general public a fair amount), only the loyal lapdogs will continue to defend them come what may. 

Not that it matters, as it'll once again be a Labour run Welsh Government next year due to the lapdogs and kids happy with them for the teacher to give them higher grades. 

From whatever anecdotal impressions I can claim to have from the ground, people’s behaviour is not much better in Scotland. I for sure haven’t been following the rules - I am still trying to be disciplined about who I get in contact with, but my “Bubble” has grown into 2 or 3 households that I am in regular contact with.

But I seem to be limiting myself much more than almost everyone else I know. 

The lockdown fatigue seems to have become overwhelming at the point when most people asked the obvious question of “why can the kids go to school, be in close contact with dozens of people, and then go home and be in contact with their whole family, but everything else needs to be limited?”.

The only response that makes any sense would be “We know that schools are causing infections but we feel it is essential enough to bear with, even if that means we need to curtail less important things”. Some people would be angry, but it at least makes sense.

Instead our intelligence is insulted by a dismissal of any idea of child transmission, and jargon about “school-adjacent community clusters” rather than just admitting the obvious. You don’t need to be scientist - anyone can see school kids running around in groups, in public places, without masks, and see the obvious risk.

People will start to second-guess any system of rules when they don’t feel they’re being dealt with openly and honestly.

I've always found it strange that people aren't wearing masks back home, the only time you don't have to wear one here in Spain is if you're eating / drinking or at home. I teach in one and if you see someone without one it's very rare indeed.

I haven't been home now since last Christmas but if I were to return, I think I'd be a bit freaked out about seeing so many people without masks. Spain isn't doing much better than others with the pandemic but a mask is strictly mandatory.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I've always found it strange that people aren't wearing masks back home, the only time you don't have to wear one here in Spain is if you're eating / drinking or at home. I teach in one and if you see someone without one it's very rare indeed.

I haven't been home now since last Christmas but if I were to return, I think I'd be a bit freaked out about seeing so many people without masks. Spain isn't doing much better than others with the pandemic but a mask is strictly mandatory.

They are :what:

I've seen people not wear masks but it is still the minority in my opinion.

• Administrator
Just now, MUFC said:

Hancock said there are variants of the virus.

Odd it was only mentioned in Parliament today and seemingly nowhere else? 

Having said that, they did say it's not as strong COVID-19 and vaccine should still work against it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

UK and Russian scientists are now teaming up in order to run trials of a combined AstraZeneca/Oxford and Sputnik V vaccine in order to get better efficacy and immune response. 

Good to see politics being put aside for once.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

London in to Tier 3 on Wednesday.

A week before everyone is allowed to break free from restriction while COVID takes a 5-day break. 

FFS, inevitable though I suppose.

Was meant to be travelling down there next week to the World Darts Championship at Ally Pally. They're refunding tickets but I think there's another review on the 23rd.

• Administrator
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Did they do this when it was just the north that was fucked?

I don't know. I know they encouraged to order from independent food stores at start of November when we went in to lockdown though.

• Subscriber

Former fireplace salesman and all round moron Gavin Williamson, taking legal action to keep schools open for a last week of term where they'll be spending the whole time colouring in and not doing the end of term assemblies and events they'd usually have. Closing schools across the country this week would cost literally nothing from an educational perspective. This is all about him being able to call it some sort of success that schools have been open for the full term, about him looking strong and decisive. Meanwhile the actual science showing rising concerns about transmission in schools.

I can't emphasise this enough. It's four fucking days. They'll spend it colouring in and watching films. The councils are trying to close schools due to safety concerns but the colouring in is more important is it? For. Fucks. Sake. The man makes Boris Johnson look intelligent.

15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Former fireplace salesman and all round moron Gavin Williamson, taking legal action to keep schools open for a last week of term where they'll be spending the whole time colouring in and not doing the end of term assemblies and events they'd usually have. Closing schools across the country this week would cost literally nothing from an educational perspective. This is all about him being able to call it some sort of success that schools have been open for the full term, about him looking strong and decisive. Meanwhile the actual science showing rising concerns about transmission in schools.

I can't emphasise this enough. It's four fucking days. They'll spend it colouring in and watching films. The councils are trying to close schools due to safety concerns but the colouring in is more important is it? For. Fucks. Sake. The man makes Boris Johnson look intelligent.

Really don't understand our ministers at all (England and Wales). Keep publicly claiming that they understand the concerns and want to make things safe, but when councils decide to do what they feel is safe, they threaten legal action against them? 

Bloody useless the lot of them really. That part in bold is also interesting as while our cases are going out of control (they won't admit that), schools will remain open even if we're at the highest tier (effectively a lockdown). 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Odd it was only mentioned in Parliament today and seemingly nowhere else? 

Cynic in me immediately presumed it was political spin to escape the obvious that London should never have been in tier 2 in the first place. So many plonkers in London's politics lately.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Really don't understand our ministers at all (England and Wales). Keep publicly claiming that they understand the concerns and want to make things safe, but when councils decide to do what they feel is safe, they threaten legal action against them? 

Bloody useless the lot of them really. That part in bold is also interesting as while our cases are going out of control (they won't admit that), schools will remain open even if we're at the highest tier (effectively a lockdown). 

Schools have to stay open. It really is that simple. I imagine the slight increase in transmission is to do with the fatigue of both staff and pupils sticking to the routines that have had to be put in place in schools every day for 15 of the last 16 weeks.

But the last week of term before the two weeks off? Like I said, it's films and colouring in. Kids are drained, teachers are drained, it's been a fucking nightmare for everyone, and now it's time to rest. Anyone who gets infected this week will potentially miss Christmas day with any of their family that they don't live with. And for what?

It's just one of those "is this really the hill you're going to die on" moments. Like I posted a few days ago they should have just closed the schools a week early anyway.