talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Well that's put a spanner in my works for Christmas personally but I'm sure there will be plenty of others in the same boat or worse.

I'm prepared to obey the rules, but I know full well plenty won't which will be the frustrating part.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not to be outdone by Boris and on the basis of absolutely fuck all once again, Drakeford has decided to bring forward the lockdown. 

From 28th December to midnight tonight, with the only exception being Christmas Day. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55379237

But naturally, like everything else in Wales, they won't be contested, the media won't challenge like they do with the UK Government and the lapdogs will lap it up once again. 

Only need the non essential ban back with no preparation time again to round it off. 

Christ, if you look at the UK government and think "there's a country where they get held to account" then you must have literally no media in Wales.

Johnson gets asked questions but he's allowed to just burble through some irrelevant nonsense and it doesn't get followed up. What people need to do is play back to him and everyone watching the press conference the clip from 3 days ago where he referred to Starmer as seeming to want to cancel Christmas and have endless lockdowns and then ask him whether he was wrong 3 days ago or wrong today. Embarrassing him and other politicians like that is the only way to stop this current brand of being able to say whatever you want to get you through the next 5 minutes because you know you'll face next to no consequences for it later.

I know very little of what's gone in in Wales. Earlier in the year, the things you were complaining about I honestly thought were pretty trivial compared to the horror show going on in Westminster. Ever since Wales went into the first 'firebreak' though and there was that shite about aisles being closed in supermarkets for non-essential goods, a lot of things I've seen and heard from that point onwards tend to suggest that Drakeford and co have basically lost their collective heads as well.

I'm incredibly lucky to be on the Isle of Man where things are still fine, I have huge sympathy for what you're all still going through. I think the media have been exposed for simply not knowing how to play their vital role of keeping politicians on their toes in a crisis like this. The questions that get asked by 80%+ of media come through the scope of political bias one way or another and even the ones who make an attempt to hold politicians properly to account think they've done their job by asking a single question and not following up on it when that question doesn't get answered properly at all.

This has just pissed me off. People will know from my post a couple of days ago I am not one for Christmas anyway, but to have mishandled what is probably the most special time of years for millions of people in this country so horrendously is fucking criminal. Millions will have gotten their hopes up for one flicker of light at the end of an atrocious year and it's literally been snatched from them at the last. There'll be a lot of mentally and emotionally shattered people in this country tonight and it's all because of one useless cunt in London and his abysmal handling of every turn since mid-March.

And the really galling bit? What @Lucas says - there'll be people who adhere to all this now and take the hit on their health and wellbeing, and there'll be people who carry on regardless and elongate this misery for us all.

• Administrator

What's the deal with this latest new strain though? Tougher restrictions but doesn't pose as much risk in terms of symptoms? Will it increase hospitalisations? 

Is UK the only one to have picked up on this new strain or has it occurred in other countries? 

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'm not bothered that Christmas is fucked, we all knew we'd be in lockdowns over the winter. It's that they went out of their way to guarantee we'd have 5 days of Christmas

It's mad that they said everyone was going to be able to do whatever over Christmas for 5 days then less than a week before have decided 'nah fuck it'

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Christ, if you look at the UK government and think "there's a country where they get held to account" then you must have literally no media in Wales.

Johnson gets asked questions but he's allowed to just burble through some irrelevant nonsense and it doesn't get followed up. 

The likes of the Guardian and the Daily Mirror at least (regardless of what you think of them) do challenge a lot of the stuff they say or do mind. The likes of BBC and Walesonline (the later part of the Mirror group) will barely challenge the Welsh Government, if at all.

From the national side, here's the Guardian spinning Stephen Kinnock's breaking of lockdown rules to celebrate Neil Kinnocks birthday (which was before Cummings trip and a good distance as well) by criticising the police for putting up a tweet about it. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-police-for-visiting-father-neil

His defence was that he had to deliver necessary supplies (which I quickly checked is about 180 miles between Aberavon and London, a bit of a distance to provide necessary supplies and, coincidently, on Neil's birthday). No action taken by Welsh Government or Labour in general, but both sets immediately demanding Cummings to resign immediately after his travel broke out. Got no issue with calls for Cummings to resign. I just hate the sheer hypocrisy. 

Add to that the nationalists in Plaid Cymru (who basically prop them up while 'trying' to challenge them) and anything the Tories say or do gets immediately shit down here, that part in bold is not too far from the truth really. I had heard one thing (obviously I can't confirm it either way) whereby a media outlet had ciriticsed a council on something. As the publication is funded by said council, they threatened to pull funding if they did it again. Gething even tried to argue against the Sun (not a bad thing in most circumstances) over the story they mentioned about him breaking his own rules (he did). 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55349983

Don't be mistaken. The point of all my posts (even if some have gone to extremes) has been to prove my point that ours can literally do whatever they like at a moment's notice (that got passed through the Senedd) and barely anyone bats an eyelid. Anyone criticising them immediately gets shot down as 'you don't care', 'you're a Tory', they did this 'because of the virus' (people actually believed that for the non essential ban, by the way) etc etc. 

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'm not bothered that Christmas is fucked, we all knew we'd be in lockdowns over the winter. It's that they went out of their way to guarantee we'd have 5 days of Christmas

Did we? 

I didn't think we'd be put in to lockdown during Xmas. Expected it in January. 

52 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's mad that they said everyone was going to be able to do whatever over Christmas for 5 days then less than a week before have decided 'nah fuck it'

Yeah, if they had said we hope it could be this way but we can’t guarantee it then fair enough. But they’ve guaranteed it, said it’s gunna happen. Their messaging from the start of this has been all over the place

52 minutes ago, Stan said:

Did we? 

I didn't think we'd be put in to lockdown during Xmas. Expected it in January. 

I think you’d have to be living under a rock to not know that we were gunna spend most of the winter under fairly harsh restrictions 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah, if they had said we hope it could be this way but we can’t guarantee it then fair enough. But they’ve guaranteed it, said it’s gunna happen. Their messaging from the start of this has been all over the place

I think you’d have to be living under a rock to not know that we were gunna spend most of the winter under fairly harsh restrictions 

Sorry I misread. Saw just Xmas and not winter. Ignore me (most do!). 

15 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Personally I blame all the plonkers who pressurised the government into keeping London out of tier 3 at the start of December. Such a stupid thing to have done given the evidence we had at the time. 

London shoulda been put under tighter restrictions much sooner, Oxford Street has been carnage at times.

• Subscriber
Just now, Happy Blue said:

Flu rates are down?? xD  ..anyone still buying this bullshit? ..if the figures of flu are down it's because they are saying people with the flu have Covid instead

How do you think flu is spread? And does it make sense that there would be more or less spread of flu when people meeting each other in person has been restricted? You big nutty troll.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

How do you think flu is spread? And does it make sense that there would be more or less spread of flu when people meeting each other in person has been restricted? You big nutty troll.

People have been carrying on like normal, no one around here is follwing these bs rules and a face mask protects you from nothing  ..when you fart in your jeans can you still smell it through the cloth? 

Just now, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

I haven't had a cold since before March lockdown. Is anyone else actually buying the idea that the government haven't been trialling cold and flu vaccines in our tap water?

If you look at what is in the tap water you would never drink it again :52_fearful: