talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

France closing the border to all of our freight from Dover to Calais. Is it because of the new strain of the virus, or do they just look at England and want to close the border to get ahead of all the English migrants in the back of those lorries seeking asylum from our government? 🤔

India is shutting down all flights to and from the UK as well starting tomorrow. I suspect over the next few days there's going to be more coming out from other governments as well. 

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Don't think any government in the UK can say they've done well in all honesty. 

The problem up here is most people think its good enough for the ScotGov to be at least not as bad as Westminster.

Which still leaves plenty of room to be absolutely shit.

22 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Don't think any government in the UK can say they've done well in all honesty. 

Only New Zealand in the west can probably claim to have done well so far. Key being so far. As we've seen Germany held up for 6 months as a shining example since collapse and reach over 700 deaths per day.

There has to be a degree of public and governance failures.

3 hours ago, N U F C said:

I think Boris is just trying to do what people want him to rather than what he needs to do. The constant mixed messages aren't fair though, a normal Christmas and millions vaccinated by Christmas were just two massive lives.

I agree with this. I actually think a lot of politicians have been struggling with doing what is going to be more politically popular vs. doing what will save lives. And what we've received in return is tons of countries around the world with these sort of half arsed approaches that sort of do something but don't really do anything. Then there's an inevitable spike and we're all told that we have to lockdown again and that normal life is further away than we'd previously thought.

And we all want normal life back, so we wind up getting incredibly frustrated.

Honestly, I blame governments and the public pretty equally. A lot of bad decisions were made, worldwide, because so many governments wanted to protect their reputations and "protect the economy." So now almost a year into this bullshit and... we've them completely fail to protect the economy, we've lost a lot of life that we probably wouldn't have otherwise, and we've pretty much fucked up ordinary life for everybody. Blows my mind that so many governments worldwide don't have their reputation in complete tatters by the voters, tbh.

• Upvote 2

Speculation teenage mutant virus is more contagious among kids. Now found everywhere in the UK bar Northern Ireland, also found in Iceland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium and Italy.

Estimates are that hospitalisations will nationally be at the same level as the peak in April by New Year's Day.

• Administrator

CEO of BionTech is confident the vaccine covers the new mutant strain/variant of COVID. Good news and encouraging but also means we perhaps need to step up efforts in vaccinating as many people as possible and work through the priority categories. Think it's 500,000 so far in UK vaccinated but there are still some regions (Bedfordshire for one) who have been told they won't be getting the vaccines until 4th Jan in their area.

The 'promise' by Johnson was to have 'millions vaccinated by Christmas'...

9 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Speculation teenage mutant virus is more contagious among kids. Now found everywhere in the UK bar Northern Ireland, also found in Iceland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium and Italy.

Estimates are that hospitalisations will nationally be at the same level as the peak in April by New Year's Day.

That's not so good news!

Wonder if Xmas period and having people in Tier 4 effectively stay at home for 2 weeks will mean it slows down the spread a bit...

Can see Tier 4 being spread pretty much UK-wide in first few weeks of January. A step shy of being in a full lockdown like April...

Strangely, the fact that we’ve hit the worst case scenario in just about every way makes it easier enjoying Christmas. It really is hard to envisage things being worse, which is quite calming in a way.

An amoral, corrupt government with a crushing majority, beyond any accountability, a mutant strain of the virus possibly born within the UK, the entire country being quarantined by much of the outside world, cases and deaths potentially peaking in the midst of Winter, and then No Deal Brexit and a mass disruption of food and medical supplies taking effect at the exact worst moment. 

And if we do ever somehow emerge out the other side of this nightmare, we are immediately going to go into an economically devastating, ideologically driven round of austerity that’s going to make the first one look like child’s play. Whatever fragile remains of our economy that are left will be stamped harder into the dirt. Any chance of a semblance of economic recovery will be immediately snuffed-out.

The country is fucked, and even if this government was booted out at the next election - which it will never be - that would still be too late to set things right. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Sorry for the delay people.  I was going to let you know how my 'injection' went, but I gave been put on a lower list - mainly due to a blood test that shows a high level of antibodies and that somewhere between March and now I have had the virus, lived with and beaten it - not sure how, never had any indication that it was there and my 'bubble' of 3 of us are all tested positive with antibodies so we are somewhat safe for the moment.  The nurse told me that there are more old people like me and that if it is easy for you to get a blood test then do it as there are quite a few of us feeling happier today!  Don't ask why or how or anything - I just feel that my years in the RAF when they pumped all sorts into me in the Far East - including a visit to Christmas Island in 1957 seems to have strengthened my immune system somewhat.  Watch this space (if you want):twothumbsup:

Well in. I wonder if we’ll ever get to the bottom of why this virus effects some people so severely. Clearly old age and certain medical conditions are important but not the only factor.