talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Unless they shut almost everything down the tier system is not going to work... I think it's already proving that point already

I have just seen a complete shift in attitude towards this lockdown/tier system than there was when we had the first one, more places are open, more people still going to and from work, less mask wearing, kids back in school etc.. I just don't think you will contain it allowing people to keep mixing the way they are... When the first one was here hardly anybody was out, non essential businesses were shut and shops had strict controls over how many were in there at a time for example but all that seems to have gone out the window now... 

50 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Shops turn them away on entry I presume? Or are they not monitoring the doors anymore.

Never saw people being turned away. But in the actual Arndale you are suppose to wear a mask.

Running out of oxygen. Literally one of your worst fears if you have it and you get sent to hospital...that they have run out of something that will help keep you alive.

Even if you’ve had a normal operation or medical treatment before and they’ve stuck some oxygen over your face it feels like you’re breathing in HD. Hopefully that can get restocked soon

Edited by Danny

I don't think they're allowed to turn people away, are they? Some shops have someone challenge you on the door (although many around me don't) but I don't think they have the power to actually stop you entering the store. There have been loads of freaks on Twitter have been proudly discussing how they've been getting away with not wearing masks in shops

• Subscriber

Over 50,000 new cases in the UK today, including Tier 4 areas still on the rise. Once again, the UK government's addiction to treating these decisions as black and white, right or wrong choices and taking hard-line stances such as "schools must and will stay open as normal after the Christmas holidays" is about to collide with the reality of how quickly things change during this pandemic. We will now see yet another u-turn on schools. And because they've taken such a hard man stance on keeping schools open, they'll spend a few days managing the PR to make the u-turn look like less of a screeching one, it'll start as "as we've always said, we're keeping this situation constantly under review and are responding in accordance with the changing situation blah blah blah" and they'll move there in phases until Johnson or Williamson announces at a hastily arranged Downing Street press conference that starts 45 minutes after the planned time that the schools that are due to reopen in 36 hours' time will actual return to lockdown policy of remaining open for children of key workers with full social distancing back in place while the rest of the country goes back to online learning. All the while, school leaders, teachers, parents and students up and down the country will wait in uncertainty as the cabinet plans how best to deliver the news at the last possible moment to maximise how much face they can save. They already know tonight that they're going to have to take action.

Putting the whole country into tier 4 or full lockdown will play out in almost identical circumstances with the urgency of policy change to respond to the changing situation taking a back seat as these cretins take days to plan out how they can make it look like less of a u-turn and as if they've actually got things under control.

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

I went to Manchester town center on Boxing Day. Within the Arndale complex, I'd say only around 60% of peeps were wearing masks.

2 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Shops turn them away on entry I presume? Or are they not monitoring the doors anymore.

2 hours ago, MUFC said:

Never saw people being turned away. But in the actual Arndale you are suppose to wear a mask.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I've never seen people turned away either, be it Bedford, Westfield, Oxford, Reading etc. Seen well-maintained queues outside stores though - if there's one thing the British do well...

21 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't think they're allowed to turn people away, are they? Some shops have someone challenge you on the door (although many around me don't) but I don't think they have the power to actually stop you entering the store. There have been loads of freaks on Twitter have been proudly discussing how they've been getting away with not wearing masks in shops

When the first lockdown was on Sainsburys for example had a person at the door only letting in about 10 people at a time and they were wiping the handles with sanitiser on all the baskets before handing them out to each person as they went in, also you had to follow the one way system round the store... Tesco did a similar limit but not the baskets etc.. That has all gone out the window now with no limits, no masks and no one way system in place... And this time round the situation is worse than before.. 

I have seen some people with masks and others without and stores have stopped challenging it because people just claim they have some health issues and can't wear one.. It's probably not worth the grief trying to enforce it but if the whole thing is more relaxed for want of a better word then what realistic chance is there of getting it under control?? 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

When the first lockdown was on Sainsburys for example had a person at the door only letting in about 10 people at a time and they were wiping the handles with sanitiser on all the baskets before handing them out to each person as they went in, also you had to follow the one way system round the store... Tesco did a similar limit but not the baskets etc.. That has all gone out the window now with no limits, no masks and no one way system in place... And this time round the situation is worse than before.. 

To be fair to supermarkets around here, they all have the hand sanitisers readily available on entry, and staff on the door just in case it gets too busy where they'll tell you to wait. But you're right, once your inside there's no one-way system. Not sure why they got rid of that, or why they didn't bring it back when lockdowns/restrictions were put back in to place. 

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

To be fair to supermarkets around here, they all have the hand sanitisers readily available on entry, and staff on the door just in case it gets too busy where they'll tell you to wait. But you're right, once your inside there's no one-way system. Not sure why they got rid of that, or why they didn't bring it back when lockdowns/restrictions were put back in to place. 

Maybe it's because I only tend to go outside of peak times, but the one-way systems have always done more harm than good for me. I'm often asked to walk through a group of people when I could avoid everyone by going the "wrong way". I understand why they were put in place, and this pandemic has really rammed home the point that sometimes you need rules because people can't be trusted to be sensible, but in this particular case I'm glad they're not enforced particularly religiously

2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Apparantly in Trafford Center it gets so busy, I've heard groups of youngsters just push security out of the way. 

And if security just beat the fuck out of them, we’d be in a much better place. But bless, the little petals would get mummy and daddy down and then the police would probably arrest the security. I hate this world.

3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

And if security just beat the fuck out of them, we’d be in a much better place. But bless, the little petals would get mummy and daddy down and then the police would probably arrest the security. I hate this world.

Problem is it's not small groups of youngsters and there are loads of groups. Maybe they should give them a beating. In Manchester town center in the Arndale security wouldn't risk confrontation because they are all from the surrounding areas in the town center. In a nutshell the scummy areas and they're always tooled up.

But it wasn't just youngsters I saw without masks there were loads in their 20s, 30s and over.

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

There was a viral video a while ago (pre-Covid) of a dad taking his son to a supermarket to make him apologise to the staff after he'd acted like a little shit towards them. Kid looked mortified but I bet he never did it again. 

• Like 1

I know there are many people flouting the rules without a care but I still can’t get myself angry about another person not wearing a mask, for a simple fact I don’t know they have a reason not to do so and that it would be none of my business if they do. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

My grandmother had her vaccine today. So it looks like they are actually getting around to giving people them then!

Good. As they should be. Johnson over-promised 'millions by Christmas'.

Thankfully vaccine rates are increasing and once January and this Oxford vaccine is up and running, I'd actually like to see it be in the millions at some point, even if for a short time. Basically, with tier systems not working, it needs to be gung-ho formation on FM to get the vaccine injected in to as many people as possible.

Good luck to your gran! 

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere they're changing strategy to get as many people 1 dose as possible and then worry about the second afterwards, rather than making sure everyone who gets one dose also gets the second in 28 days. Makes sense as there was evidence that one dose gets you some level of resistance to the virus, but I wonder if there's a maximum time limit in which you have to get the second dose for it to work.

For instance I got an injection for something (I want to say yellow fever but could be wrong) where it gave me 2 years immunity but if I got a booster within six months it would be permanent.

• Wow 1